Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learn Irish in Athlone

• 14-03-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone know of any Irish classes or conversational groups so that I could re-learn my Irish here in Athlone?

Athlone Community College used to have something but I think it is either finished or not being run anymore. I've asked in the library too and haven't found anything there as of yet.

Even if there was something in Tullamore I'd be willing to travel!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you not try Duolingo, until you find a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Tip over to the Gael Scoil and see if they run classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bennyk15

I'd be interested in joining a group also or possibly starting one. Would love to be able to speak the native language better. Keep me posted if anything comes up. Cheers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone use Duolingo? I find it good, but since I don't have a Smart Phone, I'm less inclined to keep up with learning the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone use Duolingo? I find it good, but since I don't have a Smart Phone, I'm less inclined to keep up with learning the language.

I use Duolingo, mostly to keep my basic bit of Spanish from getting too rusty. I also do a bit of Irish on it, and I'm shocked by how bad I am at it, and how much I've forgotten (if I ever knew it) since school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Spotted this on Twitter tonight.
    Irish conversation circle/rang starts April 13th at 11 a.m. in St. Ciarans Centre, near Tormey Villas in Athlone. Tá fáilte isteach romhat.

https://twitter.com/Braoin/status/716035740405276674

There seems to be all sorts going on down in that St Ciarans! I'm going to check it out.

Shame about the 11am time though. After 6pm would have been ideal.

Started using Duolingo this week, brilliant app already making progress with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Duolingo is class alright, must get back into using it again.

Shame about the 11am time for the Irish conversational group...surely there'd be more people able to attend if after 6? I know I would!

• Advertisement

Likewise Fabio - even if it was on a Saturday at 11am I would have made it but not during the working week unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Same here I would be there after 6pm:(

Anyone interested in starting up a group if we get enough numbers?

I would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

Beidh suim agam, definitely! 11am on a Wednesday is a bit mad for such a thing like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

They obviously think that the employed won't want to learn Irish !

Paulownia wrote: »
    They obviously think that the employed won't want to learn Irish !

Ahh come on now. There's little enough for a non-working person to do during the day in this town. Don't knock it!

:D Seriously though, anytime after 6 would suit most people better...

Bennyk15 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in starting up a group if we get enough numbers?

Yes, defo.

So did anyone progress their learning Irish plans? It's coming up to the time of year where I start to think about (probably futile) resolutions. Learning Irish might be one. I might go to the classes down the Community College, if I can get someone to mind the kids. I think it's on a Monday night.

Anyone else doing anything?

• Advertisement

I'd love to gain conversational ability in Irish. I use an app at the moment, but with no one to practice, it's going to waste somewhat.

Why don't we set up a group in the new year? A ciorcal cómhrá. There's one for Spanish in Athlone, let's make one for our own language!

Sounds like a great idea, but we'll have to remember that some some of us have limited or no conversational ability.

No problem, we can use it as a good arena to practice in for people with a bit of cúpla focal (nó níos mó) and an excellent opportunity to have informal classes!

We could arrange to meet once or twice a month somewhere, say the Library on a Saturday.

There's no study rooms in the Library, we could possibly pick a quiet pub or something to start off with. And maybe weeknights might suit people better with kids and activities at the weekend etc.

True. Would help to build around a large group of people, instead of a few individuals.

So when/where shall we have our first meeting?

The price of Wales hotel is a good spot.

• Advertisement

The Spanish meet-up group (which I'm in, but haven't attended in a long time because of babies) meet in the lobby area of the Radisson, which is good too. It's an OK place to be hanging around on your own if you're the first one to show up!

finooola wrote: »
    The Spanish meet-up group (which I'm in, but haven't attended in a long time because of babies) meet in the lobby area of the Radisson, which is good too. It's an OK place to be hanging around on your own if you're the first one to show up!

Sounds good! I'd be open to the Prince but it can be a bit noisy in the evenings with football and with music like. Sometime next week?

In the Prince ye are probably going to end up with hen nights coming over to give it the cupla focal!

Although I don't know the place well in the evening. There might be a quiet corner. Maybe the area at the very front with the windows?

In the Prince ye are probably going to end up with hen nights coming over to give it the cupla focal!

Although I don't know the place well in the evening. There might be a quiet corner. Maybe the area at the very front with the windows?

We could try it sure and if it's too loud/noisy the Radisson's only down the road like! What day/time would be good for everyone?

Anytime after 4 for me.

Hi folks,

I'd be interested in joining this, are you still planning on meeting up?
    Thanks,

Benny

• Advertisement

Sure! Will we say maybe 6 on Thursday in the Prince?

Sounds good.

I meant to attend last Thursday. Will there be another get together?

Me too, I had work commitments. We can do it again at the same time this week?

Hey lads, is the meetup still going? I've got a 2 year old and I'm seriously thinking of sending him to the gaelscoil. It would be good to get my Irish up to scratch (or at least get a cupla focal) before then.

Even if I don't send my kids to gaelscoil, I still want to learn.

I wish there were more Irish organisations and events in this town.

We lot should join a duolingo team together to spur each other on. I just joined one called Somali Pirates learning Irish or something. Come join it! Or better yet, let's start one with a sensible name like Athlone Irish Learners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Irish is great and I would go along too.

Does anyone know if there is a group for Spanish learners ?

martin1 wrote: »
    Irish is great and I would go along too.

Does anyone know if there is a group for Spanish learners ?

There is, I used to go it. They usually meet in the lobby of the Radisson on Tuesdays. They are a nice bunch, some learners and some native Spanish speakers. I'd start going to it again if I ever had time.
    https://www.meetup.com/Athlone-conversational-spanish/

The auld Irish is more imperative at the moment, because of the kids and school issue (although shockingly, since I went through the Irish school system, I'd say my very basic Spanish is actually better than my Irish).

Does the Irish speakers group still meet Finooola?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Does the Irish speakers group still meet Finooola?

I don't know! I've never attended that one. I really want to learn Irish though.

I don't know! I've never attended that one. I really want to learn Irish though.

Me too.

Ok, let's do this, really. Next week sometime?

Next weekend would be good.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Next weekend would be good.

I won't be able to make it in that case but if ye want to go ahead and have the initial meeting?

I hate to sound like a broken record but will we try this week some time?

That sounds good Flower. I must drag the wife along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement