Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn Irish in Athlone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

finooola wrote: »
    The Spanish meet-up group (which I'm in, but haven't attended in a long time because of babies) meet in the lobby area of the Radisson, which is good too. It's an OK place to be hanging around on your own if you're the first one to show up!

Sounds good! I'd be open to the Prince but it can be a bit noisy in the evenings with football and with music like. Sometime next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

In the Prince ye are probably going to end up with hen nights coming over to give it the cupla focal!

Although I don't know the place well in the evening. There might be a quiet corner. Maybe the area at the very front with the windows?

In the Prince ye are probably going to end up with hen nights coming over to give it the cupla focal!

Although I don't know the place well in the evening. There might be a quiet corner. Maybe the area at the very front with the windows?

We could try it sure and if it's too loud/noisy the Radisson's only down the road like! What day/time would be good for everyone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anytime after 4 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bennyk15

Hi folks,

I'd be interested in joining this, are you still planning on meeting up?
    Thanks,

Benny

• Advertisement

Sure! Will we say maybe 6 on Thursday in the Prince?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sounds good.

I meant to attend last Thursday. Will there be another get together?

Me too, I had work commitments. We can do it again at the same time this week?

Hey lads, is the meetup still going? I've got a 2 year old and I'm seriously thinking of sending him to the gaelscoil. It would be good to get my Irish up to scratch (or at least get a cupla focal) before then.

Even if I don't send my kids to gaelscoil, I still want to learn.

I wish there were more Irish organisations and events in this town.

We lot should join a duolingo team together to spur each other on. I just joined one called Somali Pirates learning Irish or something. Come join it! Or better yet, let's start one with a sensible name like Athlone Irish Learners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Irish is great and I would go along too.

Does anyone know if there is a group for Spanish learners ?

martin1 wrote: »
    Irish is great and I would go along too.

Does anyone know if there is a group for Spanish learners ?

There is, I used to go it. They usually meet in the lobby of the Radisson on Tuesdays. They are a nice bunch, some learners and some native Spanish speakers. I'd start going to it again if I ever had time.
    https://www.meetup.com/Athlone-conversational-spanish/

The auld Irish is more imperative at the moment, because of the kids and school issue (although shockingly, since I went through the Irish school system, I'd say my very basic Spanish is actually better than my Irish).

Does the Irish speakers group still meet Finooola?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Does the Irish speakers group still meet Finooola?

I don't know! I've never attended that one. I really want to learn Irish though.

I don't know! I've never attended that one. I really want to learn Irish though.

Me too.

Ok, let's do this, really. Next week sometime?

Next weekend would be good.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Next weekend would be good.

I won't be able to make it in that case but if ye want to go ahead and have the initial meeting?

I hate to sound like a broken record but will we try this week some time?

That sounds good Flower. I must drag the wife along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭boardtc

I've setup a group "lár na tíre as gaeilge" on Duolingo if people want to hook up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭boardtc

I contacted Conradh na gailge to see if there was a conversation circle in Athlone, their reply:
    There is indeed an Irish conversation circle in Athlone.It happens every Tuesday at 11am in St. Kieran's Community Centre, Athlone.

http://www.peig.ie/cuardaigh-imeacht/event/49314-is-leor-beirt

Not a good time for me, anyone gone?

Advertisement