Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby leveret

• 14-03-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I have just discovered a baby leveret in an open field next to my home. It seems tiny and just lying on open ground, turning on its side but unable to sit up it seems, legs kicking etc. etc. very unstable - obviously just born some hours ago. Not sure if it rolled out of nearby furze bushes but there are no visible signs of a nest etc. etc. Wondering if I should move it to some area that might be more hidden from view? Also, it is possible that the mother might abandon it if I move it - any help or information appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

As far as I know (and someone more knowledgeable may come along) but the mothers leave the leverets in the grass and don't stay with them, but come back to feed. So unless it is in immediate danger from farm equipment or something like that i'd be inclined to leave it.
    There is a wildlife rescue in Kildare, maybe their website has more information. They are very difficult to hand rear afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I wouldn't touch it. As far as I know it's normal for hares to be born in the open. Your presence may have scared mum off.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

As said already, leverats are born in open fields unlike rabbits.
    Mam won't be too far away so no need to do anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I wouldn't touch it. As far as I know it's normal for hares to be born in the open. Your presence may have scared mum off.

Hope not, it is lying on a path through a field which I normally traverse. I didn't go quite close enough to create a scent etc. The two adult hares were quite a distance away in another field. I see them every day as they go about their business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Pay heed to this post op.
    Leverets are born on open ground. Let nature do what nature does :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement