Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

• 14-03-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭

This is a new notion to me - I went to renew my car insurance today. It was very high (for us) not because of anything to do with our insurance, apparently they have gone up. Anyway it was 485, with a lower option of 411. So I said I would go with the lower option, but added, I don't need my husband to be on the policy as he is not driving now, will that make any difference?

The person I was dealing with said, that will probably increase it. I could not figure that and asked for an explanation, though I can't say the reasoning made much sense - it appeared to be something to do with only one person driving increasing the accident potential.

Ok, so leave him on, said I. Then realised that of course he does not have a license now as he opted not to renew it the last time. So he cannot be on the insurance. So I have to pay the higher price! Ridiculous!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds really crazy. Did you shop around for quotes, Looksee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ridiculous as it seems, it has been this way for years. I came across it some time ago and still don't understand the logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shop around every year for the best quote.Insurance companies show no loyalty to their customers,so why show any loyalty to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We use a broker now, and I have found them very reliable in getting the best value for us, so I took their word for it, but as Srameen says, this apparently is normal. Absolutely daft, I would love someone in Insurance to explain it for me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very loosely it's based on the fact that if one person is solely driving a car, then there is a certain change say 20% that they may have a crash (figures made up)

If two people are driving a car, then the likelihood of them both crashing goes down as theoretically they will both drive less, so will have less potential to crash.

Does that make any sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well thats kinda what the guy on the phone said, but no, it still does not make any sense.

If a car is being driven for, say 10 hours a week (random number) does it matter whether it is one person doing 10 hours, or two doing 5 hours each? If on the other hand one person needs to drive 100 kilometers per week (say going to work) and the other drives 20km per week going to town/shopping, whatever, and one of them stops their activity and no longer drives that is either 100km or 20km per week (depending on who gives up) less driving. However you look at it, I don't see how they conclude the likely-hood of a crash is more.

Actually all the damage to our car was done by himself - not all claimed for on insurance - though doing very little driving, he managed to hop off the same gatepost four times before he decided to give it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's based on actuarial figures, that the more one person drives, the more likelihood statistically they are to have an accident.

IRL it doesn't always work that way, I do well over 20k miles most years, and my OH does less than 8k.

He's had three accidents in the last seven years, I've had none, but the overall statistics appear to contradict that.

That said the most of my mileage is motorway, and statistically you are more likely to be in an accident close to home iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's just lousey, when you get insurance it's just for you but look you can someone else added for nothing, but when you take them off if costs you, I scream bs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I will be getting quotes in the next week or so. It will be great gas altogether! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It's just lousey, when you get insurance it's just for you but look you can someone else added for nothing, but when you take them off if costs you, I scream bs.....

Oh fork! I'm in trouble!

• Advertisement
Advertisement