Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting Small Trees

Options
  • 14-03-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

I know bare root season traditionally runs up until St Patrick Day so I had intended relocating 2 small fruit trees and 4 small native trees that I planted last year.

I presumed they would still be dormant but I checked them over the weekend and there are signs of buds coming out on them already! Would it be safe to dig them out and move them to their new location once full rootball taken and done very quickly?

Was hoping to do it this Thursday or over the weekend...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

After the very soggy winter I have a couple of biggish shrubs that I am still waiting to move, though I know I need to get on with it! I reckon if, as you say, you take max root ball and no hanging about you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A rule of thumb would be to get it done by the end of Feb, so just keep an eye if the summer gets very hot and give them a drink if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mothnot

I sadly have a bamboo forest which has invaded my back garden. It is 14 ft in height and has spread approx 30/40 feet and has my heart broken. I have tried cutting it down and treating the stems with an injection of SBK killer but it is back with avengeance!!! I am considering selling the house and running. Anyone had experience with such a monster...I will try anything.....petrol?...Help please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh dear! I had a small, clump forming bamboo that I dug up and very quickly new shoots came out of the ground where it had been. I would suggest you cut it down, then when vigorous new shoots start to appear treat the shoots with systemic weed killer. Probably give it another dose a month later then a few weeks later, dig up the roots. You may have to treat a few stray shoots later, but it should get rid of the bulk of it. The important thing is to spray the new shoots when they have enough leaf area to wet with systemic weedkiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mothnot

looksee wrote: »
    Oh dear! I had a small, clump forming bamboo that I dug up and very quickly new shoots came out of the ground where it had been. I would suggest you cut it down, then when vigorous new shoots start to appear treat the shoots with systemic weed killer. Probably give it another dose a month later then a few weeks later, dig up the roots. You may have to treat a few stray shoots later, but it should get rid of the bulk of it. The important thing is to spray the new shoots when they have enough leaf area to wet with systemic weedkiller.

Thank you for advice. It is now a large area and there are hundreds of canes at this stage. I did cut down and dose with the strongest weedkiller( didn't dilute it), it took hours/days of work and it is back worse than ever. I would have to get a mini digger in to dig it out. I will do the hours, if I thought that I could get it gone. There must be some chemical out there that would be effective against this invasive beast.
    And to think...I got this plant FOC as it was poorly and I was confident that I , with my green fingers, could nurse it back to health!!!......HSE FOR SALE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement