Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I expected a fibre broadband connection and got transported back 10 years

Options
  • 14-03-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Recently, I moved from Sandyford to Laytown, content in the fact that my new home is situated in an EIR fibre broadband ready area. The EIR Fibre rollout map told me so…surely it would not lie to me.

I was delighted that the withdrawal symptoms of moving from Virgin Media’s 240Mb Broadband would be tempered by EIR’s offering. And most importantly, I could continue to work from home. 

KN Networks successfully installed a phone line in my residence. Just as they were about to leave, one of the chirpy engineers said: “good news, I have connected you to a cabinet which will guarantee you speeds up to 100MB”. Result!

One of the best sleeps was had that night. The next day, I rang EIR and ordered the Superfast Broadband deal. The sales representative sighed and I then knew that the dream was over. EIR ran their tests and informed me that my line was not Fibre ready and wait for it…fibre was not yet available in my area.  I would have to settle for a 6mb download Next Generation Broadband package.

Now, here’s is the kicker. My house is 230 metres from the BSZ1_009 cabinet and 350 metres from the BSZ1_008 cabinet, both of which are live fibre cabinets. I spent over an hour on Friday afternoon to EIR Tech Support looking for answers to why a property that is connected to a fibre cabinet situated 230 metres away is showing up on their system as in area that is not fibre ready.  Furthermore, nobody seemed interested in the fact that the KN network engineer confirmed that my property was fibre ready. The KN network engineer suggested that I ask for an engineer to be sent out but EIR Tech Support flatly refused as there was no apparent fault.  I even offered to pay for the call out <sigh>

Suffice to say, that the whole experience has been incredibly frustrating.  I would appreciate some answers to why I have been told that I am not in a fibre area (when I clearly am - adjacent houses in South Shore Court and Seaview are fibre enabled) and when can I expect fibre to become available. 

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

bodbod wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently, I moved from Sandyford to Laytown, content in the fact that my new home is situated in an EIR fibre broadband ready area. The EIR Fibre rollout map told me so…surely it would not lie to me.

I was delighted that the withdrawal symptoms of moving from Virgin Media’s 240Mb Broadband would be tempered by EIR’s offering. And most importantly, I could continue to work from home. 

KN Networks successfully installed a phone line in my residence. Just as they were about to leave, one of the chirpy engineers said: “good news, I have connected you to a cabinet which will guarantee you speeds up to 100MB”. Result!

One of the best sleeps was had that night. The next day, I rang EIR and ordered the Superfast Broadband deal. The sales representative sighed and I then knew that the dream was over. EIR ran their tests and informed me that my line was not Fibre ready and wait for it…fibre was not yet available in my area.  I would have to settle for a 6mb download Next Generation Broadband package.

Now, here’s is the kicker. My house is 230 metres from the BSZ1_009 cabinet and 350 metres from the BSZ1_008 cabinet, both of which are live fibre cabinets. I spent over an hour on Friday afternoon to EIR Tech Support looking for answers to why a property that is connected to a fibre cabinet situated 230 metres away is showing up on their system as in area that is not fibre ready.  Furthermore, nobody seemed interested in the fact that the KN network engineer confirmed that my property was fibre ready. The KN network engineer suggested that I ask for an engineer to be sent out but EIR Tech Support flatly refused as there was no apparent fault.  I even offered to pay for the call out <sigh>

Suffice to say, that the whole experience has been incredibly frustrating.  I would appreciate some answers to why I have been told that I am not in a fibre area (when I clearly am - adjacent houses in South Shore Court and Seaview are fibre enabled) and when can I expect fibre to become available. 

Thanks,

Brian
    Hi Brian, 

I'm really sorry to hear of the ongoing issues you have had with ourselves and for the misleading information being provided. 

Would you like to PM me your details and I'll check this for you.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bodbod

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for the reply. I have sent you a PM.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There can be a 1 month delay in the prequal updates, so you get DSL for a short period while waiting for that. They should have been able to tell you that. 

Unless the cab is full, then you're SOL. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bodbod

ED E wrote: »
    There can be a 1 month delay in the prequal updates, so you get DSL for a short period while waiting for that. They should have been able to tell you that. 

Unless the cab is full, then you're SOL. 
    Thanks for that info, Ed. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it is the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

bodbod wrote: »
    Hi Tracey,

Thank you for the reply. I have sent you a PM.

Brian
    No problem. 

Thanks, I'll come back to you soon through PM's

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
Advertisement