Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mastercard or Visa Debit or Cash??? Confused!!!

Options
  • 14-03-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm off to the US later this week and am wondering what to do as regards money.

I have three options with the time remaining to me:

1 - get cash from an ATM over there or at the bank here.
    2 - get an An Post Mastercard and pre-load that (can top up online now too).
    3 - use my Visa Debit card from Ulster Bank for all purchases.

What makes the most sense? I've always found this to be very confusing.

If it helps, I'm gone for 9 days.

I'm kinda leaning toward the An Post card as I can see what I am spending more easily and it's safe to carry but would be glad to hear opinions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Unfortunately I don't have time to get a Revolut card...8 day waiting period for them at the moment according to their site :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would take a few $100 with you in cash and try use your visa debit card for whatever takes card. Obviously, speak to your bank first but there's rarely charges involved in using your card at regular retail locations (stores, restaurants etc.) just don't try an ATM as they tend to charge a lot! If you're planning on staying at a hotel or renting a car its best advised to use a credit card as they put a hold on your account until everything has been paid and you're in the clear for no damage. I've been living here for a few years now and I generally never have cash on me. Almost everywhere takes card so I never bother going to an ATM. They're usually out of the way too (if it's not my bank's ATM, I'll get a charge).

Advertisement