Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my wife entitled to maternity benefit

Options
  • 14-03-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am asking this to clarify things with my wife's maternity benefit application.

So we are both working in a same company and she has over 40 weeks PRSI paid in (and she is 19 weeks pregnant now).
    I got a better job in a Limerick and we will move there in three weeks.
    So from 27.03.2016 she will not work until 04.04.2016 (one week) as my new company has promised that they will hire her for 4 weeks just to get maternity benefit.

If we apply for maternity benefit does this new company needs to sign these papers for her or this company where we are working at the moment (presuming that we will apply for maternity benefit this week)?

Also what are your suggestions regarding my situations? Is there a chance that she waits for 2-3 weeks more and then apply for maternity benefit and use those 4 weeks that they have promised?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Have you downloaded and read the maternity benefit application form?

www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/mb10.pdf

From page 1 :

Doctor:
    Please only complete and stamp Part 6 after the 24th week of pregnancy.
    Employer:
    Please only complete and stamp Part 4 after the 24th week of pregnancy.
    It is acceptable to forecast your employee’s PRSI contributions for any period
    after the 24th week of pregnancy up to the date she starts maternity leave.
    If your employee has been working for you for less than 12 months before the
    start of her maternity leave, please forward a copy of her P45 from her previous
    employment.

So it'll be the new employer but make sure she has the P45 from her current one.

In terms of the stamps all the info is here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

Under Rules it says:
    If you are employed you must have:
    •At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave

Or
    •At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2016, the relevant tax year is 2014 and the year following that is 2015.

Or
    •At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2016, the relevant tax year is 2014 and the year before that is 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

To get a really straightforward yes or no answer just call the Dept of Social Protection. Once your wife gives her PPS number they'll be able to say exactly what she is or isn't entitled to.
    Easiest way IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

OK,

Thank you both for your answers.

Advertisement