Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment of need

Options
  • 14-03-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I've discussed asd in the asd parenting forum but I guess I just want to discuss other parents experience of the HSE assessment of need process. I don't have specific questions really, more just interested to talk to other parents in similar situations. I keep hearing mad rations of 1 in 10 boys having speech delays or development delays wtc but yet I don't personally know anyone.

We're currently going through it all for our just gone 3yr old. He has a major speech delay, an average receptive speech delay and some sensory issues. We know the latter as we've taken him to a private OT and they confirmed our suspicions. So far the OT, the hse SLT and the area medical officer have said that they don't see asd traits so for now we're just going to concentrate on speech, language and OT and review later in the summer. How have others found the assessment of need process and do you think the outcome you received was, in hindsight, accurate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I posted my experience in the ASN forum but will do it here too. My son was seen in 2014 when he was four. We got the appt within four months of the application going in. We were seen by the HSE in Dublin 15 on the Navan Rd. The assessment was okay, I was asked a number of questions about my pregnancy, my son's behaviour, questions about his milestones etc. We were in a grotty little windowless room and the assessor was trying to encourage my son to play with the toys in the room so she could observe him but it was laughable, the toys were battered old yokes he had no interest in. The questionnaire took about fifteen minutes and she was able to tell me that based on my answers she would recommend him for further investigation. Two years on we still haven't had that next appt. I ended up going private in the end. It's a great system when it works but waiting lists are a killer so it was useless for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Hi we just finished our assessment of needs. I was dreading it to be honest. Our son is almost 3.5 and he has very few words, no sentence,very hyper, frustrated and angry but we had got alot of 'he is a boy' or 'it's because he is bilingual'

I was so afraid when we went to the assessment of needs they wouldn't take us seriously and I was also afraid that they would. I mean, I dont want him to be any different. I was a bundle of emotions.

It went really well though, we're told he would more than likely get the Early intervention team and within a week they sent us out a letter confirming that he has got it and we would here from them soon. We haven't got a report though and it's been two weeks? Did any of use get a report from needs of assesment?

It's difficult because everywhere we go it seems everyone else child at 2 or 3 or talking away and our son has very little words. It's hard to know what he wants to eat or do etc so he usually points or gestures to his mouth when he is hungry.

I just want him to get help with his speech asap. I'm so afraid he will be 4 or 5 without talking. :(

My sisters child is 6 months younger and talks away etc

I just long so much to have a converstation with my son!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I felt like we were left to our own devices after the AON...

My daughter was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and also delays in both her speech and fine and gross motor skills. We were referred to local services. Where we waited another 24 months to be seen by an OT and SLT. We waited a year for physio. She was discharged from SLT after a block of sessions. She was discharged by OT after a block of sessions but OT recommended that we self refer back into the system because she needed more help, so we dd that, we've now been waiting 16 months for another appointment. It was noted at OT that she should have been referred to a paed and seen a psychologist at her AON. This never happened because the psychologist was out on maternity leave at the time of her assessment. We waited another 9, and 11 months respectively to see this people. She was then diagnosed with developmental coordination disorder by the pead.

Again, it just felt like we were left with no support afterwards... 'here's your report, now wait for the letter to come for your therapies' nothing in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

January wrote: »
    I felt like we were left to our own devices after the AON...

My daughter was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and also delays in both her speech and fine and gross motor skills. We were referred to local services. Where we waited another 24 months to be seen by an OT and SLT. We waited a year for physio. She was discharged from SLT after a block of sessions. She was discharged by OT after a block of sessions but OT recommended that we self refer back into the system because she needed more help, so we dd that, we've now been waiting 16 months for another appointment. It was noted at OT that she should have been referred to a paed and seen a psychologist at her AON. This never happened because the psychologist was out on maternity leave at the time of her assessment. We waited another 9, and 11 months respectively to see this people. She was then diagnosed with developmental coordination disorder by the pead.

Again, it just felt like we were left with no support afterwards... 'here's your report, now wait for the letter to come for your therapies' nothing in the mean time.

So what age is she now and how is she? It's absolutely deplorable how inefficient it is.... and I don't accept that it is solely a lack of services. Administratively, there are just woeful.

We have the HSE OT assessment tomorrow but we've already had the public one so hoping they don't conflict! For those who had spd and particularly problems with spacial awareness/gait etc., has that been corrected. My poor son is so clumsy and his walk is just so awkward. I just don't understand how they correct that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So we had the hse OT assessment yest. It was a private company contracted in to do it. They focused much less on the sensory stuff and more on his muscle definition, gait and balance. It was a good session but definitely less of a detailed outcome than the private one. I'm not sure if that's because it's in the interest of the first private company to further engage us in therapy. The assessor felt that he will come in around average/slightly below average for his developmental milestones and although their personal opinion was that it was mainly an SLT issue, they will ask that he is also referred to Paeds and psychology to complete the assessment process. They will also ask for a physio referral. They did mention that the current wait time for Paeds is 18 months. What exactly do Paeds review/look for? I presume we could go private for this?

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »
    So we had the hse OT assessment yest. It was a private company contracted in to do it. They focused much less on the sensory stuff and more on his muscle definition, gait and balance. It was a good session but definitely less of a detailed outcome than the private one. I'm not sure if that's because it's in the interest of the first private company to further engage us in therapy. The assessor felt that he will come in around average/slightly below average for his developmental milestones and although their personal opinion was that it was mainly an SLT issue, they will ask that he is also referred to Paeds and psychology to complete the assessment process. They will also ask for a physio referral. They did mention that the current wait time for Paeds is 18 months. What exactly do Paeds review/look for? I presume we could go private for this?

They look for underlying issues for his symptoms so neurological disorders etc to rule them out. The paed we saw didn't order any tests she just asked lots of questions got my daughter to do a few things like walking a straight line etc then diagnosed the dcd

yellow hen wrote: »
    So what age is she now and how is she? It's absolutely deplorable how inefficient it is.... and I don't accept that it is solely a lack of services. Administratively, there are just woeful.

We have the HSE OT assessment tomorrow but we've already had the public one so hoping they don't conflict! For those who had spd and particularly problems with spacial awareness/gait etc., has that been corrected. My poor son is so clumsy and his walk is just so awkward. I just don't understand how they correct that though?

Sorry I never saw this!

She's 6 now and she's doing well. She gets resource hours in school and she also does crash and bash sessions in the morning in school to release some energy before heading into class.

We're still awaiting more OT so until then we've no idea how she's progressing since her last assessment with them but her teacher has no major issues with her, she is doing well in school, her handwriting is a bit behind.

She has surgery on Thursday to clear some built up wax from her ears, she has had this before and it has built back up and she is suffering hearing loss from this so hopefully the surgery clears it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

It's difficult because everywhere we go it seems everyone else child at 2 or 3 or talking away and our son has very little words. It's hard to know what he wants to eat or do etc so he usually points or gestures to his mouth when he is hungry.

I just want him to get help with his speech asap. I'm so afraid he will be 4 or 5 without talking. :(

My sisters child is 6 months younger and talks away etc

I just long so much to have a converstation with my son!

It's extremely hard not to compare them with other kids, but that was what sent up red flags for me with my son when I saw him around kids same age. My husband doesn't and still doesn't think he has any delays in speech, he doesn't see him around kids his own age.

We went public and so far the SLT has only done assessments every 6 months and no actual therapy. He's come along himself, he's probably still 6 months behind his peers.

Assuming that part of your son's program will be speech & language therapy, I've heard over and over again that it really gets results and the kids have great fun doing it. Often the difference can be night and day once they get the right therapy.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

January wrote: »
    Sorry I never saw this!

She's 6 now and she's doing well. She gets resource hours in school and she also does crash and bash sessions in the morning in school to release some energy before heading into class.

We're still awaiting more OT so until then we've no idea how she's progressing since her last assessment with them but her teacher has no major issues with her, she is doing well in school, her handwriting is a bit behind.

She has surgery on Thursday to clear some built up wax from her ears, she has had this before and it has built back up and she is suffering hearing loss from this so hopefully the surgery clears it.

Hope the surgery goes well for your daughter. My daughter is 5 and has Sensory Processing Disorder with a speech delay. She receives resource hours in school and doing ok. She has bad and good days especially if she had a bad night sleep. What is the crash and bash sessions? Sorry to ask as we are waiting on our OT appointment.
    I feel now the school is starting to listen to me as before I found they weren't and not understanding the signs to watch when she has too much energy the need of a movement break. Thank you.

hopgirl wrote: »
    Hope the surgery goes well for your daughter. My daughter is 5 and has Sensory Processing Disorder with a speech delay. She receives resource hours in school and doing ok. She has bad and good days especially if she had a bad night sleep. What is the crash and bash sessions? Sorry to ask as we are waiting on our OT appointment.
    I feel now the school is starting to listen to me as before I found they weren't and not understanding the signs to watch when she has too much energy the need of a movement break. Thank you.
    The school runs the session in the morning times they have gym balls, trampolines etc that they can play on and do deep pressure therapy with if they like that sort of thing. It's like a movement break but on a larger scale. My daughters teacher also tries to give her a bit of free reign to move about in the classroom so she's not always stuck to the one spot. They have also provided her with a sloped writing board to help with her handwriting. Once you get ot your therapist will be able to help put together a sensory diet for your child that will help them throughout the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Been through all of this before (son is now 9, getting on great in an ASD school).

You're always afraid to voice your fears, something like naming the devil I suppose. Really though, putting a name to an issue your child has doesn't change your child one little bit. It does change the way the state sees that child, and what options for treatment are available. If you think there is an issue, and public aren't seeing it, get a second opinion. Really, you have to be willing to push, and hard, for services for your kid.

Best of luck. :-)

Advertisement