Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to paint fibreglass board?

Options
  • 14-03-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of old fibreglass boards which I'd like to smarten up with a single colour paint job, no design (sky blue body, black fins).

Has anyone painted a fibreglass board with success from their own home without a professional setup? if so how?

Initially I thought spray cans would suffice but the more I read the more I fear not.

A thorough cleaning is essential I know. I don't want to purchase equipment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

Hi n1st,
    I repair and shape surfboards in my workshop in south Dublin. I've found that the easiest way to paint your board, if already glassed, is to use acrylic spray paints and then spray a healthy coat of clear coat lacquer on top of the job. You'll want to sand the area down with 400 grit first, which makes the paint stick to the resin a bit better. I use montana spray paints from evansartsupplies, they come out really nicely, and then sand the edges down with 400grt before a lacquer spray finish.
    feel free to call into the workshop to go over it if you want (www.surfboardservices.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi n1st,
    I repair and shape surfboards in my workshop in south Dublin. I've found that the easiest way to paint your board, if already glassed, is to use acrylic spray paints and then spray a healthy coat of clear coat lacquer on top of the job. You'll want to sand the area down with 400 grit first, which makes the paint stick to the resin a bit better. I use montana spray paints from evansartsupplies, they come out really nicely, and then sand the edges down with 400grt before a lacquer spray finish.
    feel free to call into the workshop to go over it if you want (www.surfboardservices.com)

Thanks, that's what I'm currently trying, the Montana spray paints are good.
    On the 3rd coat now. It does stick well.
    I'll know more when the lacquer is on, I hope.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement