Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda sirens

Options
  • 14-03-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,I was in New York recently and I heard a lot of sirens from nypd cars,I was wondering are the siren tones wail Yelp phaser and rumbler on Garda cars if not what tones are on them?

Comments

Seanw12 wrote: »
    Hello,I was in New York recently and I heard a lot of sirens from nypd cars,I was wondering are the siren tones wail Yelp phaser and rumbler on Garda cars if not what tones are on them?

No rumblers. Look up Garda cars on YouTube for examples of siren tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzIDxAVr5mE

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seanw12

there is an Toyota avensis Garda car on Yoruba the video is 23 seconds long at the start it sounds like a phaser tone or am I just imagining it

there is an Toyota avensis Garda car on Yoruba the video is 23 seconds long at the start it sounds like a phaser tone or am I just imagining it

The 11 reg Avensis have them alright. Great siren to have. It's a shame all the vehicles don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Do the cars anymore have Two-Tones? Hi-lo sort of thing, I used to hear them about dublin but wasn't sure if it were a HSE wagon or some DFB one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

The new cars only have 1 siren I believe it's a shame
    Mycroft H wrote: »
    Do the cars anymore have Two-Tones? Hi-lo sort of thing, I used to hear them about dublin but wasn't sure if it were a HSE wagon or some DFB one.

Mycroft H wrote: »

DFB still have the two tone but it's not used as much.

irishgti wrote: »
    The new cars only have 1 siren I believe it's a shame

The Hyundai's have the same sirens as the old Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Think the bikes still have a two tone of some sort. There's also a 05 vectra that I see often that has two tones but its been a while since I heard it.

New sirens on the Hyundai's are the same as what's on the older mondeos etc. The new unmarked stuff have different ones though.

Think the bikes still have a two tone of some sort. There's also a 05 vectra that I see often that has two tones but its been a while since I heard it.

Some of the bikes.

http://youtu.be/rEqxbqW_zAg

http://youtu.be/Dk7BZwWNM68

I think the new BMW bikes have a different siren.

• Advertisement

Up until only a few years ago GMP used the old traditional two-tone and done away with it for some reason.

I love when the DFB use the two tone on their older appliances.

Up until only a few years ago GMP used the old traditional two-tone and done away with it for some reason.

I'm rewatching X Cars on YouTube, it's great hearing the two tones on all the vehicles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

foreign wrote: »
    I'm rewatching X Cars on YouTube, it's great hearing the two tones on all the vehicles!

I recently came across X cars by accident a few weeks ago on youtube. What a great programme and really cool unmarked cars were used at the time. The series must be seriously old by now judging by cars, clothing and basic camera work.

carzony wrote: »
    I recently came across X cars by accident a few weeks ago on youtube. What a great programme and really cool unmarked cars were used at the time. The series must be seriously old by now judging by cars, clothing and basic camera work.

1997 apparently. I remember watching it when I would have been better served studying for the leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I thought that the modern view is that there should be several siren tones on ES vehicles so that other road users can distinguish that more than one is approaching.

Also, I have heard two tone sirens in the UK recently, but they are electronic tones, not air horns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fire engines have never sounded right without two tone air horns imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

1997 apparently. I remember watching it when I would have been better served studying for the leaving!

No wonder I don't remember it. I would have been in nappies at the time:o

So do all Garda cars have different sirens?

So do all Garda cars have different sirens?

Depends who kits them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

So where does nee naw come into all this!?

• Advertisement

Who supply's the gaurds with sirens ?

Majority are haztec I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Our local Patricks day parade had about five different emergency services all together - the cacophony of horns and sirens was deafening - but fun - the kids loved it.

thekopend wrote: »
    So where does nee naw come into all this!?

After many years hard service including times when only the nee worked it is enjoying it's retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

After many years hard service including times when only the nee worked it is enjoying it's retirement.

So that's where it went!! We only ever had the 'Naw'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Rebelkid wrote: »
    Majority are haztec I believe.

I think North Korea supplied the one on the Pearse St Transit Connect :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

D Trent wrote: »

Personally I think its a great sounding siren, very unique!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

D Trent wrote: »

That one's grand, but for some reason it's only the Connect that has a 'tinny' siren - no matter what you have tho' it's useless if the cars won't move over :mad:

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »
    no matter what you have tho' it's useless if the cars won't move over :mad:

In fairness it can't be helped at times. Traffic is traffic at the end of the day.

Advertisement