Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkness Into Light 2016 Runs Anyone IN?

Options
  • 14-03-2016 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I am.

Darkness Into Light is in aid of Pieta House, the centre for the prevention of suicide and self-harm.

See: http://dil.pieta.ie/

Note: The running events will take place in over 100 venues in Ireland and across the world on Saturday May 7 at 4.15am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've done it the last few years. I don't think it's one that serious or proper runners do as it's not timed or anything like that. But there's a good atmosphere, the novelty of running at that hour of the night/morning, a great turn out of people of all ages and some spread of food after. More importantly for a good cause! The only thing is when you get home afterwards it's difficult to go back to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Isn't this a walk not a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Isn't this a walk not a run?

Yeah, it's a walk not a run, but a few people run it up front. The "annoying" (hard to justify annoying when it's technically a walk and not timed and for a great cause and at stupid o'clock in the morning) is, even though they say runners up the front, then joggers, then walkers, you have loads of walkers at the start line, so spend ages overtaking people.

That said, it's definitely not one you do to race, it's for atmosphere and buzz of the event itself. Brilliant sticking around after and watching all the hoards of yellow t-shirts come through as it gets bright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a walk not a run, but a few people run it up front.

It's not, it's labelled as a non-competitive run/walk/jog. I'm being pedantic I know but calling it a walk can turn a lot of people off when the spirit of the event is all about bringing as many people together to raise awareness and funds for suicide prevention, it's all inclusive and you can do it whatever way you want. I've ran it every year and hundreds of people do as well.

I'll be doing it again this year, it's a good night out for a good cause and raises a ton of money for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I've run this several times, plenty of people walk it. It is what it is - the aim isn't speed. Lovely event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Yup it's a really nice atmosphere, I've done the one that starts in UCC for the last few years. If you want to run then you can but better make sure you're at the front of the field :)

Advertisement