Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge hike in car insurance 2016

• 14-03-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all..I'm just wondering has anyone else had a shuddering experience re car insurance renewal..I'm just off the phone and mine has jumped from 340 to 690 in one year and apparently that's with an early renewal discount..wow..I'm in shock. I've been driving for 25 yrs with never a claim etc..would appreciate if anyone has info on cheaper/fair car insurance as I sure as hell ain't paying 690? Thanks in advance folks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Mine also doubled in price. Went from 4 something to 8 something. Paid in Jan. I got such a shock. 7 yr no claims (as long as I've been driving) no penalty points. Couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

RickyG wrote: »
    Hi all..I'm just wondering has anyone else had a shuddering experience re car insurance renewal..I'm just off the phone and mine has jumped from 340 to 690 in one year and apparently that's with an early renewal discount..wow..I'm in shock. I've been driving for 25 yrs with never a claim etc..would appreciate if anyone has info on cheaper/fair car insurance as I sure as hell ain't paying 690? Thanks in advance folks...
    My insurance has gone from €480 to €980! With 123. I did some online quotes and blue insurance was the cheapest so far at €805. Full ncb, no points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yes wife's is almost identical to that
    Problem is her car is a 00 so until we change we won't do better !
    My quote will be here soon today and expect it to be 100 euro or so less due to an 05 car

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RickyG

trixychic wrote: »
    Mine also doubled in price. Went from 4 something to 8 something. Paid in Jan. I got such a shock. 7 yr no claims (as long as I've been driving) no penalty points. Couldn't believe it.

I'm sorry to hear that..get no pleasure whatsoever in knowing that others getting screwed too..did you shop around?Although my usual threat of pulling out of current insurer had no impact whatsoever..kind of take it or leave it kinda deal..

km79 wrote: »
    Yes wife's is almost identical to that
    Problem is her car is a 00 so until we change we won't do better !
    My quote will be here soon today and expect it to be 100 euro or so less due to an 05 car

Mine is 08 but that had no impact whatsoever on quote..have all the insurance companies decoded to screw the consumer or what's the deal?

• Advertisement

1jcdub wrote: »
    My insurance has gone from €480 to €980! With 123. I did some online quotes and blue insurance was the cheapest so far at €805. Full ncb, no points

That's unreal..seems we're all getting screwed..usually one company under cuts the rest and makes killing but that doesn't seem to be happening this time..

Mine is 08 but that had no impact whatsoever on quote..have all the insurance companies decoded to screw the consumer or what's the deal?

The fact it's 08 means you will at least be able to shop around though
    A lot of insurers won't even quite a 00 anymore
    It's gone up "on average " 35%
    All I'm seeing is people's gone up by 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

There is a thread in the motors forum about this. People have been posting their quotes. Some are mental! Blue insurance, Bank of Ireland and AA seem to be giving lower quotes than others. All depends on your situation though, just have to shop around!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    There is a thread in the motors forum about this. People have been posting their quotes. Some are mental! Blue insurance, Bank of Ireland and AA seem to be giving lower quotes than others. All depends on your situation though, just have to shop around!

I tried AA online and quote pretty much the same.didnt know bank of ireland did car insurance too.might try them seeing as they're my bank..Cheers for the info..

The fact it's 08 means you will at least be able to shop around though
    A lot of insurers won't even quite a 00 anymore
    It's gone up "on average " 35%
    All I'm seeing is people's gone up by 50%

Mine went up 100% tho..no chance I'll pay that..buy a bicycle first I swear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

why is it when u say you got a cheaper quote they seem to be able to knock 100 or so off it , ffs why not offer me that in the first place

fecking scammers , yet if u have an accident the fookers will take years to pay you if at all

Mine went up 100% tho..no chance I'll pay that..buy a bicycle first I swear...

BOI just came in 200 euro cheaper for similar cover for my wife's car there !
    A good bargaining chip too with current insurers who may well be underwriting the BOI I think ifs it's RSA
    It is RSA who we are already with . What an absolute joke !

why is it when u say you got a cheaper quote they seem to be able to knock 100 or so off it , ffs why not offer me that in the first place

fecking scammers , yet if u have an accident the fookers will take years to pay you if at all

Or if you're on the wrong side of an accident you'll spend pretty much rest of your life paying sky high premiums.id take it on the chin a little if I was 18 driving a subaru but I'm 46 driving a peugout ffs..I'll try again next wk with the couple 100 less of a quote I got somewhere else but if I get same d### head I got tonight it won't work.so much for customer loyalty with these ppl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

A good bargaining chip too with current insurers who may well be underwriting the BOI I think ifs it's RSA

Same here was with RSA (123ie), got quote from bank ot ireland (RSA) €200 cheaper, got extra discount for being a BOI customer.

Glad someone making progress..unbelievable how brokers for companies can actually offer much cheaper rates than companies theirselves..I'll never get my head around that one...

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Same here was with RSA (123ie), got quote from bank ot ireland (RSA) €200 cheaper, got extra discount for being a BOI customer.

Cheers for that. I'll give them a bell tomorrow..They owe me one anyway after refusing my mortgage application at the last minute..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Cheers for that. I'll give them a bell tomorrow..They owe me one anyway after refusing my mortgage application at the last minute..

need to do it online as you get 40 off straight away

need to do it online as you get 40 off straight away

I did do it online but unfortunately even with the 40 off it came to only 60 less than my original quote earlier for cover that resembles just fire and theft.ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

That's unreal..seems we're all getting screwed..usually one company under cuts the rest and makes killing but that doesn't seem to be happening this time..

I contacted 123 about their quote, they reduced it to €850 but it's still €45 higher, plus they should have offered me that price in the first place!

• Advertisement

1jcdub wrote: »
    I contacted 123 about their quote, they reduced it to €850 but it's still €45 higher, plus they should have offered me that price in the first place!

I guess they always chance high quote first to let you think you're winning when get few euros off. I'm with chill but got no reduction whatsoever.well he said an early renewal cut was included but no way is that true. Was calm out when I said I'd shop around..useless salesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As mentioned, there are multiple threads on this topic, including quite comprehensive discussions on the Motors forum. I'm not sure we need another

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement