Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no wi-fi

Options
  • 14-03-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

wifi just stopped on my Acer aspire 5745 laptop, the little blue light use to show up on laptop but not anymore, any ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

If you try fn+f3 this I think on that model can turn on and off WiFi. Others would be check device manager and look under networks and make sure it's there and not disabled if not this then go to Acer website download most up to date driver and install.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

jhud wrote: »
    If you try fn+f3 this I think on that model can turn on and off WiFi. Others would be check device manager and look under networks and make sure it's there and not disabled if not this then go to Acer website download most up to date driver and install.

thanks but tried that to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

In device manager you can disable the network adapter, leave it a few seconds and then enable it again.

This often solves issues, worth a try if you haven't already.

bricky06 wrote: »
    In device manager you can disable the network adapter, leave it a few seconds and then enable it again.

This often solves issues, worth a try if you haven't already.

thanks had a look and noticed that it says the ethernet controller drivers are not installed,wi-fi was working fine before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

re-install the drivers

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    re-install the drivers

tried to but no luck with it, still shows same in device mamager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Any chance you recently upgraded to Windows 10?
    I updated a similar laptop yesterday and while wifi still worked, the switch turning wireless on and off didn't.
    I was left with the wifi locked in the off position until I went into the BIOS and turned it permanently on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

coyle21 wrote: »
    tried to but no luck with it, still shows same in device mamager

did you get them from the Acer website?

niallb wrote: »
    Any chance you recently upgraded to Windows 10?
    I updated a similar laptop yesterday and while wifi still worked, the switch turning wireless on and off didn't.
    I was left with the wifi locked in the off position until I went into the BIOS and turned it permanently on there.

no always on wins 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Still might be worth going into the BIOS and seeing if there's any setting to leave the wireless always on rather than controlled by switch or OS.

I'm just observing it myself after a recent update, but the update might simply have been a different version of the driver and might have hit me anyway.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    did you get them from the Acer website?

yes installed both of these but still no luck

Wireless LAN Atheros Wireless LAN Driver 9.2.0.439 11.6 MB 2011/12/22 Download
    Wireless LAN Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver 5.100.82.95 33.6 MB 2011/10/18 Download

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

For the wifi, it may be worth checking its actually that card in the laptop, from DeviceManager get the PCI vendor/product IDs and check at pcidatabase.com
    Sometimes laptops have more than 1 wifi option, or it might have been changed, being a removable card.

says ethernet controller in device manager, u click on it u get this

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver

cant update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

When you say "cant update" what do you mean? Do you get a warning? Is the box greyed out?

Can you give us some more information, it's really difficult to provide help when there's so little info. ;)

When you say "cant update" what do you mean? Do you get a warning? Is the box greyed out?

Can you give us some more information, it's really difficult to provide help when there's so little info. ;)

the drivers are installed now on computer but when in device manager and it does a search it cant find them

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

coyle21 wrote: »
    the drivers are installed now on computer but when in device manager and it does a search it cant find them

Can you manually browse to the driver by selecting update maually

Advertisement