Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to perfect Wings

Options
  • 14-03-2016 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭

I was in Smokin Bones restaurant in Dublin recently (highly recommended) I had the Feckin' Hot wings and they were the best wings ever!

Now, on to my point, when I buy wings from Tesco they have that long pointy, boney bit attached to them which you don't get in restaurants, same when I got them off the butcher. How do I remove them and get those restaurant style Wings at home? Any recipes appreciated too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was in Smokin Bones restaurant in Dublin recently (highly recommended) I had the Feckin' Hot wings and they were the best wings ever!

Now, on to my point, when I buy wings from Tesco they have that long pointy, boney bit attached to them which you don't get in restaurants, same when I got them off the butcher. How do I remove them and get those restaurant style Wings at home? Any recipes appreciated too
    There's a massive thread on chicken wings. Search elephant and castle chicken wings.
    Regarding the long wing tip, just slice a knive through the joint a discard the tip (keep for stock), then find the other joint and slice through that. Lots of YouTube videos on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There's a massive thread on chicken wings. Search elephant and castle chicken wings.
    Regarding the long wing tip, just slice a knive through the joint a discard the tip (keep for stock), then find the other joint and slice through that. Lots of YouTube videos on it

Lol!! It's a full 10 year thread!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144087

Great reading though.
    Basically, Franks Hot Sauce and butter is your friend.

Perhaps ask the butcher to cut them for you? I doubt they'd mind.
    Some pre-packed wings come with that tip removed. I get Cootehill organic wings from my local shop, and they are massive and come with the tip removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    I have a recipe for wings. When you buy them from your butcher ask them to remove the pointy part for you. I have a great tip for them extra crispy. In a bowl add in some flour baking powder and cream of tatar and mix them around. Then pour in some ice cold water and with a whisk mix them around until you have a smooth batter this is called a tempura batter which is used a lot in Asian cooking. Then toss the wings one by one in the batter until evenly coated and then hit off the bowl to shake off any excess then place them in the oven preheated to 180 C 350 F Gas 4 and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. For a sauce melt some butter in a saucepan then add in about 4 tablespoons of siarcha sauce 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of sugar then mix everything together and bring to the boil. Then take your chicken wings out of the oven and toss them in the sauce and then put them back in the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes until the sauce is caramelised and sticky then remove from the oven and squeeze some lime juice over the top and then sprinkle some spring onions over them and serve with some crisp sticks of celery and a blue cheese dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I make wings with a standard enough fried chicken procedure, and serve dry with a table full of different sauces and small bowls. I find that any crispiness is gone if they're sitting in sauce for long.

For the wings, I'd coat in a mix of flour, black pepper, salt, msg, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, mixed dried herbs, chilli flakes, and whatever else is within arms reach. Dip in egg, then into the flour a second time, then into the fridge for 30 mins. Deep fry in batches, keeping the cooked wings warm in the oven (on grills with a tray at the bottom of the oven) until they're all done.

The staple sauces are Frank's, a honey sriracha, and a Smokey barbecue. I'm a fan of heinz tangy jalapeno, bit odd eating a green wing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I put wings into the airfryer for over 30 mins to ensure they are crisp and dry, shaking regularly. I actually think it is better than deep-frying them (in terms of crispiness, obviously it is more healthy too).

Once cooked, I just heat the hot sauce and pour it over the wings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+1 for air fryer, it renders the fat very well while they still remain juicy. I think the fan must actively blow the fat off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If doing them in the oven I recommend you parboil them for 5-10 mins first and then leave to dry before you put them in the oven. Keeps them moist!

Advertisement