Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got any study tips?

Options
  • 14-03-2016 9:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

I need study tips, i'm in 6th year and have realized that if I want a decent leaving i need to do a lot more study. As it stands now i pretty much just about do my homework some nights. I want to change this all around and do about 4 hours of study/homework per night. I just don't know how to study effectively and stay focused on the topic at hand without getting distracted (I get distracted very easily). Any tips for me? Keep in mind i'm pretty much revising the whole course for my 7 subjects over the next 12 or so weeks. It sounds mad, i know but if I put in the work I can get there!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Break what you want to study/revise into small manageable chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

This is what works for me.

- Your bedroom is for sleeping. Study somewhere quiet. The local library works for me and many other leaving certs in my town.

- Don't spend too long on one subject. You'll have your favourites and your least favourites. Don't neglect a subject.

- At this stage learn from the past papers. Do every single one coming up to June, and then do them again.

- If at all possible don't have a phone or any other device near you. I use my phone for getting marking schemes, but I'll soon be printing them out.

- If you feel yourself getting distracted then take a five minute break. Try and have atleast one break every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

In order to minimise your chances of getting distracted you need to frighten yourself into realising how much study you need to do to achieve the Leaving Cert you desire. The best way to do this is for each subject to do a small section from the start and end of the book and you will soon be motivated to work your way towards the middle of the book.

If you start just at the start the mountain will seem too big to climb and you will become distracted but if half of your starting point is at the end it will seem like you are freewheeling downhill. Try it. It's a great feeling to revise backwards. Best of luck

Advertisement