Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 months lease extension or notice?

Options
  • 14-03-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

First year in Dublin / Ireland, first time renting - 2 bedroom apartment in South Dublin.

Currently have a 6 month lease agreement which will expire at the beginning of May. I have sent an email to the landlord - as of yet unanswered - asking for some confirmation that the contract will extend for another 6 months / 1 year, as I would enjoy some certainty regarding the accommodation. I have 2 kids, 1 of them is going to kindergarten, so I am quite reluctant to move to a different place every couple of months.

My question is: if the landlord does not respond / mention anything else, after these six months pass, do I enter in Part IV tenancy, even if there is no other contract signed / agreed? If not, what is the latest date that the landlord can serve the notice to me that we need to leave - 28 or 35 days? I understand that he does not need to give a reason for eviction in the first 6 months, but the notice is mandatory, correct? I mean, he can't come and say 'Listen, you have 7 / 10 / 14 days and you need to move out'.

Also, the initial document is quite flimsy, to put it mildly. Just one front-back printed page and not even completed in its entirety. How / where can I check that this lease is registered with PRTB and I / we are on the right side of the law regarding this issue?

Thank you in advance for any help / info.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

part 4 tenancy beings on day 1 of the sixth month, however, the landlord can furnish notice without notice any day up to that point including the day before part 4 rights are in place.

Notice periods are mandatory regardless of the length of the tenancy and any other agreements made (Unless those agreements are for shorter notice periods)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lucidream

Hi and thanks for the reply!

Let me see if I understood correctly what you said. Let's say the end of lease is the 10th May. The landlord can serve me a notice the latest on the 9th, saying I need to leave. He will then have to wait for the mandatory notice period of 35 days, and then I need to leave the property, even though basically, in those extra 35 days, I have entered part IV tenancy? Or if he serves me the notice, then part 4 is no longer enforced in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Sorry to shoehorn a question into this thread, but just in relation to part 4 tenancy, is it in place for 4 years from the day it kicks in on the sixth month, or 4 years from when the tenancy began.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lucidream

As far as I know, it begins the day you agree to the rent. So you stay in the lease for 6 months, and then part IV starts from 6 months + 1 day for the rest of the four year period = 3 years and 6 months.

Advertisement