Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Funny schedule, Leicester playing a day before Spurs leading up to last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Funny schedule, Leicester playing a day before Spurs leading up to last day.

The scheduling has worked out very well for Leicester. Spurs playing second most of the time in the last while and for the run in puts a huge amount of pressure on them and is a definite disadvantage for them this season.

The scheduling has worked out very well for Leicester. Spurs playing second most of the time in the last while and for the run in puts a huge amount of pressure on them and is a definite disadvantage for them this season.

Ya it's a definite hindrance pretty sure it was opposite for Chelsea last year playing Sundays a lot towards season end and remember getting battered by WBA on a Monday which didn't matter as they had it wrapped up by then.

Shame to say as a Chelsea fan Spurs at home is only fixture worth any fuss, which on that note a number have mentioned Leicester might fall away next year while that's possible you only have to look at Chelseas position...

I think if spurs win tomorrow they have a great chance. Can see Leicester losing a few yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great point in the end for Leicester. I can see Spurs struggling to get a result tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If Spurs win all their remaining games then Leicester will need to find 8 points from their games which is a tough ask:

vs Swansea (H)
    vs Man Utd (A)
    vs Everton (H)
    vs Chelsea (A)

I can see them finding 6 points. I don't think they'll get anything away to United and Chelsea. Spurs can take the title if they finish with a 100 per cent record. Problem for Spurs is they also have to go away to Chelsea which will be a tough game to win and I'm sure Chelsea would love to derail their hopes and help their old boss.

It's still alive for Spurs but if Stoke can nick something against them that should wrap it up. Hopefully Sparky's team can do Leicester a favour.

This is an example of what I say a few days ago we are struggling to see Leicester as top of the table three loss team.

Chelsea are currently 29 points behind Leicester

Would people after 34 games last year suggest that leaders Chelsea would not get anything away to Swansea City, 30 points behind them ?

I know that the numbers alone don't tell the whole story, but its still interesting how our attitude to Leicester is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This is why so many of us were worried for Leicester... It wasn't some disbelieving hope that they would slip up, just a very genuine worry on their behalf (I'm the same when United have a tough run in/title chase). A win tomorrow for Spurs and there are only 4.5pts in it (factoring GD), a draw and its 6.5, a loss and it's gone out to 7.5.

Squeaky bum time, indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will Vardy's red card have the same affect on Leicester that Henderson's had on Liverpool in 13/14.

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is why so many of us were worried for Leicester... It wasn't some disbelieving hope that they would slip up, just a very genuine worry on their behalf (I'm the same when United have a tough run in/title chase). A win tomorrow for Spurs and there are only 4.5pts in it (factoring GD), a draw and its 6.5, a loss and it's gone out to 7.5.

Yes that's right, a lot of folk are worried for Leicester, it's such an amazing story that not winning it would be a disappointment.

But if you said last summer that Spurs would win the league with Leicester second, we all would have said "wow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I wonder will Vardy's red card have the same affect on Leicester that Henderson's had on Liverpool in 13/14.

Vardy will only miss the Swansea game though, while Henderson missed 3 including the big one against Chelsea. Also, Ulhua will come in for Vardy who's not bad at all, while we had nothing to cover Henderson at that time. They'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Vardy will only miss the Swansea game though, while Henderson missed 3 including the big one against Chelsea. Also, Ulhua will come in for Vardy who's not bad at all, while we had nothing to cover Henderson at that time. They'll be ok.

Ah right I just saw it was two yellows I hadn't seen the game and thought it was a straight red.

One game won't affect them that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

20 points from their last available 24 though. I think people are reading into it a bit too much.

If they can beat Swansea without Vardy (who is key to how they play), I fail to see how they don't win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Ah right I just saw it was two yellows I hadn't seen the game and thought it was a straight red.

One game won't affect them that much.

Yeah, 2nd yellow was for diving. Didn't see the first yellow actually.

Yes that's right, a lot of folk are worried for Leicester, it's such an amazing story that not winning it would be a disappointment.

But if you said last summer that Spurs would win the league with Leicester second, we all would have said "wow"

Oh yeah, I wouldn't begrudge it to Spurs whatsoever and it would still be a nice change. But compared to Leicester winning it, it would be weirdly a bit climactic despite still being the biggest upset in possibly 30 years.

SantryRed wrote: »
    20 points from their last available 24 though. I think people are reading into it a bit too much.

If they can beat Swansea without Vardy (who is key to how they play), I fail to see how they don't win it.

I know they've been picking up a bunch of points, but people have been pointing out their difficult run in, and this was the first of 3 big tests, with Everton also being a tricky one and swansea a potential banana skin that just got tougher with no vardy. I hope they pull through but if Spurs win tomorrow, it's looking to be very tight.

I know they've been picking up a bunch of points, but people have been pointing out their difficult run in, and this was the first of 3 big tests, with Everton also being a tricky one and swansea a potential banana skin that just got tougher with no vardy. I hope they pull through but if Spurs win tomorrow, it's looking to be very tight.

Leicesters final games may not be as tough as first imagined as Everton have gone to the dogs and Hiddink has said he'll use the remaining games to blood young players.You'd hope for the sake of the competition that Chelsea don't make a complete mockery of it and field a reserve team in 2 games which could have real importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Leicesters final games may not be as tough as first imagined as Everton have gone to the dogs and Hiddink has said he'll use the remaining games to blood young players.You'd hope for the sake of the competition that Chelsea don't make a complete mockery of it and field a reserve team in 2 games which could have real importance.

Can do no worse than the current team

I hope you're right and that they win out!

Apart from against United, because there's no way they could overcome the sheer tactical genius that is Louis van Gaal..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

I hope you're right and that they win out!

Apart from against United, because there's no way they could overcome the sheer tactical genius that is Louis van Gaal..............

Funny thing is that's the only place they're very likely to drop points as van gaals football will bore them into complacency!

Am I the only one who notices the biasedness of Martin Tylers commentary recently.

He totally loses it whenever Leicester score and seems to have a far more restrained reaction whenever they concede a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

United seem to love sucking the joy out of football for me these days so I won't be surprised if we beat Leicester final day and cost them the league

Knowing our luck it'll be a meaningless win too when we have already lost the race for top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's done and dusted. They have it won. There's no chance they'll blow it from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

If they can avoid that ref again it might help their cause!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

United seem to love sucking the joy out of football for me these days so I won't be surprised if we beat Leicester final day and cost them the league

Knowing our luck it'll be a meaningless win too when we have already lost the race for top 4

You play Leicester with 3 games to go I think. Chelsea away is their last game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

massive game for spurs tomorrow, hoping the good stoke show up tomorrow and get a result.
    Hard to know which stoke will show up. Hopefully their motivated by wanting Leicester to win the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Am I the only one who notices the biasedness of Martin Tylers commentary recently.

He totally loses it whenever Leicester score and seems to have a far more restrained reaction whenever they concede a goal.

If you don't understand the context of this bias at this stage I amn't sure you ever will! Every goal Leicester score is, in English soccer context, massive.This applies not only to this season but English soccer history! 5000 to bloody one!!!

I think like most media types now he is trying to reflect the emotions of 99% of soccer fans in England when each goal is scored/conceded!

Yes, it is a little annoying if you are a Spurs/West Ham fan but this is history in the making and in fairness I think he is doing a good job to subdue himself!! Even though professionally he has to maintain an unbiased approach, I think this situation is so unique, its relatively understandable or, at least, excusable!
    Its not just him though. Most commentary, whether it be audio or written is biased towards them at this stage, tv, radio commentators, analysts, written media.

People live through emotions watching a game and it heightens the entertainment experience if a commentator exacerbates the meaningfulness of a goal and Martin Tyler has a knack of doing this! (Think Wiltord and Aguerrrrrrrrrrrrrrro!) Sky Sports are the guiltiest of this "Big Goal" unbiased reaction approach and they know they are on a winner with Leicester in this regard.

This is why I prefer radio commentary sometimes, particularly newstalk on a Sunday afternoon. Yes they were very biased towards Leicester today but they also had to paint the picture of the goal to listeners whilst Tyler just allows his emotions get away from him while the visuals painted the picture! So it subdues radio commentator's reactions somewhat.

These reactions are going to get so much more exacerbated over the next four weeks! He will probably have a heart attack if Vardy scores a late winner to clinch the title against Chelsea on the last day!

7/4 preseason favourites Chelsea handing over the title at home to 5000/1 shots Leicester!! Its a mental scenario!!!

Martin Tyler has a knack of doing this! (Think Wiltord and Aguerrrrrrrrrrrrrrro!)

Don't you mean Wilthorrrrr!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A fella I know moved over to Dublin from Leicester when he was about 13 or so. He switched to Liverpool to be more in with the lads he hung around with in secondary school. Haven't been in touch with him for a couple of years so I wonder if he's hopped back on the band wagon, I'm sure he has and has no qualms about it! Mental to think Leicester could win a premier league title before Liverpool though, I'm sure the thought never crossed his mind. A part of me thinks he's an eejit for abandoning his hometown team but his peers aren't exactly gonna be able to level that logic at him anyway.

I can only imagine how surreal this whole journey has been to the people of Leicester City who've been there week in week out for decades. You'd have to be delighted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Saw this over weekend
    idGUtCH.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think they'll be way down the league next season. I feel they're starting to fall away, but they're staying defensively tight, getting a bit of luck, and getting the goals they need from all sources.

This time next year, they could easily have not won any of the games that they have in the previous 7. I'd be surprised to see them in the top half of the league next year. Really hope they are though, as despite the overall poor quality of the Premier League this year, it has been a great breath of fresh air!

Their problem next season will be combining league and CL, simple as that. I can see them mid table, something similar to Chelsea.

Beat Swansea now and I think they'll be fine.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Saw this over weekend
    idGUtCH.png

Squeaky bum time on those bets, would be hard not to cash out now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Despite drawing yesterday, at this stage of the competition I think it's a point gained rather then 2 lost, even if Spurs win tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

and speaking of bookies, I wonder will they lose much over this ?

Im sure every "small" team has a selection of fans that will stick on a tenner on their club winning - that will be quite a bill for some Leicester based bookies I'd imagine.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

5000/1 winner is free publicity for them. That guy who cashed in a few weeks ago even made the papers in The Netherlands where we dont even have bookies. (gambling is state regulated so only the state is a bookie.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Im sure every "small" team has a selection of fans that will stick on a tenner on their club winning - that will be quite a bill for some Leicester based bookies I'd imagine.

It'll be more than made back by all the losing bets with larger stakes on Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. The bookies will have big publicity push on how they were "caught" for a few million on Leicester bets, while remaining silent on the tens of millions they made on bets on the big teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Well bar a few maybe independent bookies in Leicester who may have taken a few of these bets I'd say the mainstream bookies will make a fortune on Leicester winning the league. Massive odds so a few big pay outs but no one really would have them backed. Look at all the people that would have backed the big clubs to win the league. All those bets are losers and I'd say there'd be more than enough to cover the few big pay outs on Leicester.

Added to this there's the fact that this sort of winner is good publicity for a bookie and it'll entice more people into backing these crazy long odds sort of bets which is just what they want.

I'd say bar a few smaller bookies in Leicester that might get stung the bookies generally will be very happy with Leicester winning the league.

They would have lost a lot more if, say, Chelsea won the league. Professional gamblers etc. Then you have league winner start of season accumulators, top four predict bets, relegation bets.

There will be very very few who took 5000/1 odds. There will be a few speculators who, come October and November jumped on the bandwagon but the bookies win with this result whilst it is also massssivvve publicity.

Put it this way. Any favourite in any sport is the participant the bookies least want to win.

Don't you mean Wilthorrrrr!?

Loved the progression from "Terry Henry" in his first few games to "Ee-eh-ee Aw-eeee" (said in the thickest faux French accent possible) by around the time the Invincibles season came about, myself. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I see vardy has chatted **** and got banged by the fa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

ricero wrote: »
    I see vardy has chatted **** and got banged by the fa

Any chance of translating that?

Charged with improper conduct for mouthing off the the ref after second yellow.

Thus a longer ban than the one game for the second yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hes been charged with improper conduct after his sending off against West Ham, meaning he'll probably pick up an extra game on to his ban.

All I will say is, right or wrong I wouldn't like to be John Moss at the moment. Especially if Vardy gets a two game ban and Leicester end up blowing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

All I will say is, right or wrong I wouldn't like to be John Moss at the moment. Especially if Vardy gets a two game ban and Leicester end up blowing this.

All the Fallout is from the one call he got right though, so that's some consolation.

Seeing vardy become the villain that cost them the league in the end would be pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is very high profile now and the FA will be under a lot of pressure. I think they will bail out of this one and leave it at the one match.

Vardy is an England international now and he is being likened by a lot of people to Roy Race(myself included!) and the FA don't want to stop that train.

Heres how I see it playing out..........(just my thoughts, no science to it!)

Spurs should win tonight, going on form evaluations, but who knows. I definitely wouldnt back them 8/11 at Stoke. Presuming they do though, thats 5 point cushion for Leicester. 12 points each up for grabs. Spurs have much the "seemingly" easier run in.

24 Apr - 4.15
    Leicester City vs Swansea City. I can't not see them getting three points here;. Beat them 3 - o at the Liberty. Vardyy had a relatively quieter game and Mahrez, Kante and Drinkwater were main men.

25th April (Monday night football)
    Spurs v West Brom . Again can't see anything here but three points for Spurs.

5 points, three to play

1 May: 1.30
    Man United vs Leicester City: Sorry but I can see United beating them. Wouldn't rule out a draw though. Vardy will be badly missed for this game, I think. He is the sort of player Utd would be very scared of.

Butttttttttttttttttttt

2 May - Monday Night Football
    Chelsea vs Tottenham. This could be the title decider, the night the league is won, whether factually or in hindsight. If Leicester drop points at United and Spurs win this game (I think they will) I think Spurs will be favourites.

I am going to go with a United and Spurs win.

two points, Spurs dominate the goal difference.

7 May - 5.30
    Leicester City vs Everton Leicester should win this on paper but a lot will depend on previous weeks fixtures. If they are still 5 points ahead or even three I predict the pressure will be far less than if its merely two points. (as I think it will be) One nil to the foxes.

8 May, 1.30
    Tottenham vs Southampton. Pochettino should take all three against his old club. Saints still may have a european place to play for but cant see them getting anything here.

two points going into final game of season.......................

giphy.gif

15 May - 3.00
    Chelsea vs Leicester City and Newcastle vs Tottenham

I am not going to even attempt to call this one!! Its final day which usually defies logic!

If I was to choose RIGHT NOW i'd take Leicesters fixture over Spurs though. This could be a relegation/title decider at St James' Park. Chelsea could just offer themselves as damp squid opponents but they will no doubt want to finish the season on a bit of a high for John Terry (and.......Eden Hazard's ; )))) )final game!!

All the Fallout is from the one call he got right though, so that's some consolation.

Seeing vardy become the villain that cost them the league in the end would be pretty amazing.

Its impossible to say, under the rules of the game, if it was the right or wrong decision. The tackle was awkward and he wasnt near the ball nor attempting to be. Vardy did "look for it", yes and its impossible to know which came first, Vardys dive or the contact by Ogbonna. Ive watched it on slo mo a few times and I think he gets caught on the upper groin just before he falls. But he certainly knew what he was doing. Doesn't make it not a foul though. It depends how you interpret the rules.

Ive seen Vardy all season and he is a very honest player. He goes around challenges because he knows he knows he can rely on his pace and doesnt need to buy an advantage through any simulation. Saying that he is a tough nut which surprises a lot looking at his stature and he normally wouldnt be taken down that easily.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is very high profile now and the FA will be under a lot of pressure. I think they will bail out of this one and leave it at the one match.

Vardy is an England international now and he is being likened by a lot of people to Roy Race(myself included!) and the FA don't want to stop that train.

Impossible decision for FA but they have to go by regulations so its a near certainty he will get an extra game ban, like a few others this season. I'd respect them more if they didn't bail on this one. Would set a nasty precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For me it was a definite dive and the absolute right call by the ref. Vardy throws his body sideways in a very unnatural manner trying to win the penalty. I'd be worried for the game if people tried to find miniscule intricacies of why it should have been a penalty or not a dive, he clearly knew what he was doing but got caught.

• Advertisement
Advertisement