Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good call on the dive. First yellow wasn't a booking but he did get away with a bookable challenge before it. And now his childish tantrum might prove to be very costly. Silly boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Corholio wrote: »
    For me it was a definite dive and the absolute right call by the ref. Vardy throws his body sideways in a very unnatural manner trying to win the penalty. I'd be worried for the game if people tried to find miniscule intricacies of why it should have been a penalty or not a dive, he clearly knew what he was doing but got caught.

I would have liked the improbability of the ref just calling a goal kick! A good old tangle of legs!
    Both players were negligent in their body movements.

However Due to the rules on diving though ref either had to call it as a dive (in which red card) or not a dive (which meant it was a penalty)

In fairness to Leicester they have been so damn lucky this season that they havent had any real injury casualties like almost every clubs and I cant really recall any of their main players being out of a big game due to a suspension?? (willing to be corrected on this)

I guess law of averages comes into play.

To be honest a draw was a good result regardless. West Ham are a very good team and well worth their standing in the table and they had a lot to play for after the United defeat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I would have liked the improbability of the ref just calling a goal kick! A good old tangle of legs!
    Both players were negligent in their body movements.

Ogbonna's body movement is absolutely nothing like Vardy's. Vardy almost goes sideways trying to throw his legs into Ogbonna. Watching it from the back it's clear as day imo. Refs often call nothing a lot of the time as well so the rules of diving doesn't stop them at all. Whatever about the rest of his later decisions I was glad to see a ref give that yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

While the FA are at it they might decide to actually do something about Vardy's racism. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Leicester have an advantage in that one of the last three teams they'll play will have an FA Cup final to look forward to. You'd have to think that they'll have one eye on that, especially if it's Everton.
    As for Moss, I think he probably got the dive correct. Our penalty was correct which probably means that Leicester should have had one in injury time (which would also mean that we should have had another three or four given that Huth and Morgan were constantly at the wrestling in their box).
    People saying that the 94th minute penalty was "justice" are letting their longing for Leicester to win the league cloud their judgement. They've been insanely lucky with refereeing decisions this season. On the contrary, we've had three reds rescinded this season, yesterday's penalty was only our second all season and our first away from home in over 5 years. Where's our "justice"?

Regardless, I obviously hope that they go on and win it.

Paully D wrote: »
    While the FA are at it they might decide to actually do something about Vardy's racism. :rolleyes:

eh he got fined mate, in line of FAs rules. What more do you want them to do at this stage?? We've all made mistakes.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is very high profile now and the FA will be under a lot of pressure. I think they will bail out of this one and leave it at the one match.

Vardy is an England international now and he is being likened by a lot of people to Roy Race(myself included!) and the FA don't want to stop that train.

Rooney would play about 4 games a season if they're going to start adding on extra games for abusing referees.

Lets be honest, if someone like Rooney had had the same reaction as Vardy (which he does on a weekly basis), nothing would be said at all.

They should just leave it at the one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

All I will say is, right or wrong I wouldn't like to be John Moss at the moment. Especially if Vardy gets a two game ban and Leicester end up blowing this.

True, but if people were rational, they'd see that Vardy only has himself to blame.

The rules apply to everyone, and everyone knows them, regardless of whether the Leicester story is a fairytale or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Put it this way. Any favourite in any sport is the participant the bookies least want to win.

Not true. Favourite isn't always the biggest loser for them.

• Advertisement

eh he got fined mate, in line of FAs rules. What more do you want them to do at this stage?? We've all made mistakes.

While he may not have known that "Jap" is derogatory, the fact that he used it repeatedly and during a heated exchange suggests he very much did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Hopefully it's just the one game he misses and Leicester go on and win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

2 May - Monday Night Football
    Chelsea vs Tottenham. This could be the title decider, the night the league is won, whether factually or in hindsight. If Leicester drop points at United and Spurs win this game (I think they will) I think Spurs will be favourites.

I am going to go with a United and Spurs win.

two points, Spurs dominate the goal difference.

The last time Spurs won at the bridge Andy Townsend was our record signing and Gary Lineker scored the winner for Spurs...just said I'd mention that :D

With Spurs' goal difference, it's really just 4 points between them instead of 5 if Spurs win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Paully D wrote: »

they should do something about sunderland harbouring nonces too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Leave Vardy alone!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Leave Vardy alone!!

No! He's not exempt just cos he played with Fleetwood town a few years back

Give me strength

mansize wrote: »
    No! He's not exempt just cos he played with Fleetwood town a few years back

Give me strength

he was being sarcastic or just generally kidding mate!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Lovely finish.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Leave Vardy alone!!

"Jamie Vardy sainthood in jeopardy

Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy’s proposed sainthood is rumoured to be under threat after his halo slipped and he was shown a red card for diving at the weekend.

The sending off means his dream season has been thrown into turmoil in the final straight.

Everything the jet-heeled striker has touched this season has turned to gold, scoring for fun for club and country, but the red card is threatening to derail plans to see him canonised.

At the start of this week, his odds of having the Xmas number one lengthened dramatically after Ant and Dec were chosen to represent The UK in the Eurovision Song Contest, ahead of the Leicester City Golden Boy.

Worse was to come on Sunday night. After his red card earlier in the day, he was refused entry into Leicester’s Lucky Fox Weatherspoons by a vigilant Bouncer.

The disgruntled Doorman told us, “We don’t want his sorts coming in here. If he can’t behave himself on the pitch what is he going to be like with a couple of pints of Stella inside him?”

Having been proposed for Canonisation by Match of the Day anchorman Gary Lineker, the Vatican were considering bestowing their highest honour on the Leicester City frontman, to go with the knighthood, Freedom of Leicester and Blue Peter badge he has already earned this season – but after Sunday’s dive, that now seems to be under review.

A spokesman for The Vatican, Cardinal Simoni Williams, said, “We don’t hand out Sainthoods to any Tom, Dick or Harry Kane.

“You have to be holier than thou, and we certainly do not condone simulation. Although it’s still preferable to using a condom.”

With his Beatification hanging in the balance, it is unclear if Vardy’s guest appearance in Countdown’s Dictionary Corner will still go ahead this week.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ!

After a great finish a few minutes ago, Alli just missed a completely open goal, with loads of time, while in full control of the ball. Up there with the very worst misses i've ever seen.

Kane spares his blushes a minute later (with an Alli assist).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It took longer than expected, but the begrudgers are finally starting to turn against Leicester now i see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

he was being sarcastic or just generally kidding mate!! :rolleyes:

I was being deadly serious, this witch hunt must end!!

Spurs are flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

monkey9 wrote: »
    It took longer than expected, but the begrudgers are finally starting to turn against Leicester Vardy now i see.

That's what it actually is, I think.

There's nothing really to dislike about Leicester and their manager is very likeable.

It's just that their talismanic striker is a racist, cheating scrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

League not over just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's what it actually is, I think.

There's nothing really to dislike about Leicester and their manager is very likeable.

It's just that their talismanic striker is a racist, cheating scrote.

So basically he's a footballer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It took longer than expected, but the begrudgers are finally starting to turn against Leicester now i see.

I just want the title race to be exciting. I'd like Leicester to win it in the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

CSF wrote: »
    I just want the title race to be exciting. I'd like Leicester to win it in the end though.

Youre a greedy bugger, you want every league to be exciting, back to la liga with you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anyone but Spurs, utd, villa, Everton or Leeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Vardy maybe, Mahrez or Kante nah!

I see Stan Collymore's past from 20 years ago still gets dragged up on the Boards soccer forum, Vardy's holliers in Thailand isn't forgotten.

That doesn't mean I don't want Leicester to do it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So long as its not Spurs or City or Arsenal

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

go spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Definitely shaping up to go down to the last day...

Spurs really are in the perfect form right now, I can see them actually do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Kane spares his blushes a minute later (with an Alli assist).

That was Lamela :)

He made up for it by scoring a second all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That was Lamela :)

He made up for it by scoring a second all the same.

Oops!
    Watching at work in a little side window, with no sound :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Leicester have one big problem right now.

The simple fact that Spurs are a better side than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

If there is a brexit, Vardy will be the pinnacle of BPL talent

makes no difference. Only teams they have to worry about are Swansea, Everton, United and Chelsea. it could be Bayern or Real Madrid in Spurs position and its the same scenario. bThe fact they play ahead of them each week until final day heightens this point!

I backed Spurs e/w at 16/1 at the end of January but I honestly want Leicester to win!

But Spurs' journey is equally as outsatnding and there would be a huge level of hype if Leicester werent even involved. Pochettino is some boyo! And such a likeable modest character!

Can they both win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I do think spurs have been the best team in the league this year. They mightnt win it but if they can keep that squad and most importantly the manager they should be competing again next year. I dont see leicester making top 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Spurs playing well is irrelevant as Leicester just need 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 4 games and I think they'll get them.

Also playing before Spurs pretty much every week for the last while has been a massive advantage for them and they have this advantage for the next few games as well.If Leicester had to play after Spurs it would be a bit more difficult for them.

makes no difference.

It makes a difference. We all know that Leicester are punching above their weight, there is absolutely no point pretending otherwise. They are going for a smash and grab and they know it full well.

If Spurs were doing the same it would be easier on Leicester, but they aren't, they are proving to be a serious team getting stronger all the time and putting teams to the sword with ease. A simple race against the other surprise packet while all the big guns take a year out is one thing, stumbling towards the line with a serious team inexorably reeling you in is quite another.

If Spurs were also dropping a few points and maybe missing a key player Leicester would still have a breezy attitude and would probably cruise to the title. But they aren't, Spurs are looking very ominous and that fact will really crank up the pressure on a team ripe for a stumble. We don't need to look far back to see what can happen a team when this pressure goes on, just ask Liverpool fans how this goes.

Spurs just hammered United and Stoke and are at full speed, Leicester just dropped points and lost a major player for (perhaps) the next two games. It matters that Spurs are a better side because if Leicester believe that, they will know that they can't afford to slip up and that only increases the pressure even further again.

Its all on the Swansea game, win and they will do it, drop points and my guess is that Spurs win the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It makes a difference. We all know that Leicester are punching above their weight, there is absolutely no point pretending otherwise. They are going for a smash and grab and they know it full well.

Can being top of the league after a 38 game season really be called a "smash and grab"?

Fair enough if it's a lucky streak in the FA Cup, but not the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Its all on the Swansea game, win and they will do it, drop points and my guess is that Spurs win the title.

I agree with a lot of your points but why do you think it's all on the Swansea game? I see that as the 'easiest' of their run-in (not that any are comfortable at this point and plus Vardy is gone) while Spurs have West Brom at home so I see both winning those games.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Can being top of the league after a 38 game season really be called a "smash and grab"?

Fair enough if it's a lucky streak in the FA Cup, but not the league.

Its not denigrating their achievement, its just being realistic. I have zero doubt whatsoever that Leicester will fall back into the pack next year, this is their chance to grab something even they know would ordinarily have been beyond their reach.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

and rightly so

• Advertisement

If Spurs were doing the same it would be easier on Leicester, but they aren't, they are proving to be a serious team getting stronger all the time and putting teams to the sword with ease. A simple race against the other surprise packet while all the big guns take a year out is one thing, stumbling towards the line with a serious team inexorably reeling you in is quite another.

If Spurs were also dropping a few points and maybe missing a key player Leicester would still have a breezy attitude and would probably cruise to the title. But they aren't, Spurs are looking very ominous and that fact will really crank up the pressure on a team ripe for a stumble. We don't need to look far back to see what can happen a team when this pressure goes on, just ask Liverpool fans how this goes.

Spurs just hammered United and Stoke and are at full speed, Leicester just dropped points and lost a major player for (perhaps) the next two games. It matters that Spurs are a better side because if Leicester believe that, they will know that they can't afford to slip up and that only increases the pressure even further again.

Mate Leicester are playing like a team that do not have any inferiority complex. They must be well aware Spurs have better natural ability, player to player, in their squad but all both teams can do is play to their strengths and move on.

Leicester still have full advantage going into next week, despite dropping points. They will play ahead of Spurs which decreases this pressure hugely. If they beat Swansea they still have a good chance of missing out.

Both teams know they can't slip up, but Spurs have more pressure on them not to do so at this juncture as they will always be behind Leicester for, at least another fortnight.

If they started having an inferiority complex now, by that logic how must they have felt at the start of the season when they were second favourites for relegation!! That logic would mean they wouldnt have any confidence approaching games!They clearly just go about their own business, which is what has them in this position and will be their biggest asset going into the final few games. They are professional footballers and clearly a very mentally strong team at the moment.

They had gone almost 600 minutes without conceding until that penalty and with a man down against a team that still harboured champ league qualification themselves before that game, I honestly can't see why they would have considered a draw a disaster especially if they knew they would play half an hour of the game a man down.

In fact they will be buzzing after earning that point late on.
    They have known the quality of Spurs, Arsenal and City all season, never mind other teams Chelsea, United, Liverpool and even West Ham yet they have still kept their heads down and just concentrated on their own game.

Spurs quality is the same problem it has been for the last three months, indeed all season long, and Leicester haven't buckled. It will only become a major problem if/when they reduce the gap and the pressure begins to heighten. But right now Leicester's biggest problems remain the games ahead of them, (and Vardy's absence) not a team they dont play until next season.
    The fact they play ahead of Spurs each week reduces this problem massively also.

I agree with a lot of your points but why do you think it's all on the Swansea game?

Timing and the absence of a key, key player. Doesn't even matter who the opposition is, in fact its almost worse that its a poor team because that would remove any excuses for dropped points apart from cracking under the pressure.

But the absence of Vardy right at this exact moment is a real problem, are those 1-0's going to turn into 0-0's because of losing their main goalscorer? Thats a far bigger loss than Henderson was for Liverpool in my opinion and it couldn't have come at a worse time.

So, win without him and the confidence returns. But lose without him...

It will only become a major problem if/when they reduce the gap and the pressure begins to heighten.

Like right now in fact...

I'm not stating as fact that Leicester will feel intimidated or crack under the pressure but my point remains, the very fact that a far better side is chasing them down matters. Leicester may have on some level been looking back at the Arsenals and Citys watching and fearing their late surge while seeing Spurs as the other inexperienced team also punching above their weight but who could easily stumble as well. They have to know different now, Spurs are a serious team who will catch them if they slip up. That brings a serious pressure, and when it comes to the mental games these things matter.

I agree with a lot of your points but why do you think it's all on the Swansea game? I see that as the 'easiest' of their run-in (not that any are comfortable at this point and plus Vardy is gone) while Spurs have West Brom at home so I see both winning those games.

Personally I think Everton game for Leicester and Newcastle game for Spurs. Newcastle game will be similar to City's game against QPR if it comes down to a relegation decider. But they are all vital games, if you excuse the cliche. There is not one game bigger than the other until it comes down to a title deciding game whether that be in a fortnight or on the final day of the season.

Spurs have lost to teams like Crystal Palace, West Ham, and indeed Leicester and Newcastle this season. Liverpool should have beaten them a few weeks ago and apart from the Arsenal draw, the rest of their PL games in the last two and a half months since the City game had them rightful favourites. It was only in the second half against United they took hold of the game. They could easily have been behind by two at half time. Spurs were outstanding tonight but, equally, Stoke were atrocious.

The point is Spurs are well capable of slipping up themselves, which people need to take account of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Still hope Leicester do it.

As an Everton fan, I can easily see them cruising to 3 points against ourselves and can easily see them getting 3 points against Swansea.

So that just leaves the last United and Chelsea.... and I can't call it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement