Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Personally I think Everton game for Leicester and Newcastle game for Spurs. Newcastle game will be similar to City's game against QPR if it comes down to a relegation decider. But they are all vital games, if you excuse the cliche. There is not one game bigger than the other until it comes down to a title deciding game whether that be in a fortnight or on the final day of the season.

Spurs have lost to teams like Crystal Palace, West Ham, and indeed Leicester and Newcastle this season. Liverpool should have beaten them a few weeks ago and apart from the Arsenal draw, the rest of their PL games in the last two and a half months since the City game had them rightful favourites. It was only in the second half against United they took hold of the game. They could easily have been behind by two at half time. Spurs were outstanding tonight but, equally, Stoke were atrocious.

The point is Spurs are well capable of slipping up themselves, which people need to take account of.

United had one shot on target in the game and that came in the second half. How on earth could Spurs have been two down at half time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

DeanAustin wrote: »
    United had one shot on target in the game and that came in the second half. How on earth could Spurs have been two down at half time?

I mean in terms of pressureand general play! . It was an off the cuff remark about the two up. They had shots on goal, lingard and fosu mensah early on and got into the box a few times on another day could have converted. And we're very much on top of spurs possession wise.

Very off the cuff remark re the two goals but my point is Spurs did not dominate that game which many people seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I mean in terms of pressureand general play! . It was an off the cuff remark about the two up. They had shots on goal, lingard and fosu mensah early on and got into the box a few times on another day could have converted. And we're very much on top of spurs possession wise.

Very off the cuff remark re the two goals but my point is Spurs did not dominate that game which many people seem to think.

So you're saying United deserved a draw in a game they lost 3-0 in?

The only thing I agree with you on is that any team can slip up. That's a given. Spurs scored 7 and conceded none in the last two games. Two of which I expected to really struggle in.

Playing on a Monday after all the results are in is fine by me. I don't see how anyone has an advantage in that. Leicester are pressured knowing Spurs are in form so they have to win against Swansea. Spurs go into the West Bromwich game knowing they have to win because Leicester beat Swansea. There's no difference really in either.

However I personally think Spurs have less pressure than Leicester now. For about 6 weeks everyone has said (except Ranieri) that Leicester have it in the bag. Now the wheels are stumbling for them. An incident riddled 2-2 draw that took until the 95th minute to get themselves a point whilst on the other hand Spurs hammered Stoke emphatically. Leicester losing a key man for possibly 2 games and Spurs looking like they'll stay injury free thanks to Mark Hughes only bringing Charlie Adam on very late in the game.

I still think Leicester will win it and it'll come down to the game in January which Leicester won. This result is a breather for alot of Spurs fans though, like myself who was also looking down the table at teams who might overtake us for 2nd.

Now I can rest in the comfort of knowing that we should now have done enough for 2nd and will hopefully take Leicester to the final game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Lads, is there a Spurs Team Talk Thread like for the other clubs?
    I've gone through 5 pages of Thread Titles and this is the closest I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

josip wrote: »

They have their own forum under the Hosted banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

irishmover wrote: »

The only thing I agree with you on is that any team can slip up. That's a given. Spurs scored 7 and conceded none in the last two games. Two of which I expected to really struggle in.

Playing on a Monday after all the results are in is fine by me. I don't see how anyone has an advantage in that. Leicester are pressured knowing Spurs are in form so they have to win against Swansea. Spurs go into the West Bromwich game knowing they have to win because Leicester beat Swansea. There's no difference really in either.

However I personally think Spurs have less pressure than Leicester now. For about 6 weeks everyone has said (except Ranieri) that Leicester have it in the bag. Now the wheels are stumbling for them. An incident riddled 2-2 draw that took until the 95th minute to get themselves a point whilst on the other hand Spurs hammered Stoke emphatically. Leicester losing a key man for possibly 2 games and Spurs looking like they'll stay injury free thanks to Mark Hughes only bringing Charlie Adam on very late in the game.

I still think Leicester will win it and it'll come down to the game in January which Leicester won. This result is a breather for alot of Spurs fans though, like myself who was also looking down the table at teams who might overtake us for 2nd.

Now I can rest in the comfort of knowing that we should now have done enough for 2nd and will hopefully take Leicester to the final game of the season.

Sorry but you say the wheels are stumbling for them after a 2-2 draw against west ham who are fighting for 4th which they had to play half of the game with ten men and fought back to get the draw?

Madness.

josip wrote: »

We've got our own sub-forum.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/837

More than welcome over there as long as you don't troll.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Sorry but you say the wheels are stumbling for them after a 2-2 draw against west ham who are fighting for 4th which they had to play half of the game with ten men and fought back to get the draw?

Madness.

As opposed to Spurs scoring 13 of the last 14 goals in a Spurs match. Playing arguably the best football in the league and executed a Stoke side who've beaten a number of the top sides along with hammering a United side chasing top 4 just as much as West Ham. Regardless of if they're not playing for anything most of us Spurs fans expected a very difficult match against Stoke. Especially as we're so used to a Spurs capitulation.

The guy swung one way essentially saying Spurs were very average for months now and barely look like a decent side. I'm simply refuting that and saying Leicester look more capable of dropping points than Spurs do. (They are looking like theyll lose their front man for 2 of the remaining 4 as opposed to Spurs staying injury free and looking on fire). Whether it's enough for Spurs to win the league is unlikely. I still expect Leicester to scrape through the finish line and the difference to be the win they had against us in January.

You might not agree but to me Leicester are now under immense pressure to maintain top spot. Alot more than Spurs are to catch them. Barely scraping a draw and losing their top player is a massive concern for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

As opposed to Spurs scoring 13 of the last 14 goals in a Spurs match. Playing arguably the best football in the league and executed a Stoke side who've beaten a number of the top sides along with hammering a United side chasing top 4 just as much as West Ham. Regardless of if they're not playing for anything most of us Spurs fans expected a very difficult match against Stoke. Especially as we're so used to a Spurs capitulation.

The guy swung one way essentially saying Spurs were very average for months now and barely look like a decent side. I'm simply refuting that and saying Leicester look more capable of dropping points than Spurs do. (They are looking like theyll lose their front man for 2 of the remaining 4 as opposed to Spurs staying injury free and looking on fire). Whether it's enough for Spurs to win the league is unlikely. I still expect Leicester to scrape through the finish line and the difference to be the win they had against us in January.

You might not agree but to me Leicester are now under immense pressure to maintain top spot. Alot more than Spurs are to catch them. Barely scraping a draw and losing their top player is a massive concern for them.

I just don't agree that the wheels are stumbling because they drew their last match after winning the 6 before it.

Arsenal on the other hand, now that's a case of wheels stumbling and falling off simultaneously.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I just don't agree that the wheels are stumbling because they drew their last match after winning the 6 before it.

Arsenal on the other hand, now that's a case of wheels stumbling and falling off simultaneously.

Yeh they're not quite stumbling yet. But they look more likely than Spurs which was my original point to the guy who claimed Man United' should have been 2-0 up at half time. Anyway as I said I fully expect Leicester to still win the league even if the pressure gets to them.

• Advertisement

I never said utd deserved a draw. You are putting words in my mouth to attenuate the point I am making. So no point having this mini debate anymore as it's only going one way! The fact you think Leicesters wheels are stumbling after a draw in a freakish game against a very decent team just means we aren't going to reach any consensus !! So let's leave it there!

Yeh they're not quite stumbling yet. But they look more likely than Spurs which was my original point to the guy who claimed Man United' should have been 2-0 up at half time. Anyway as I said I fully expect Leicester to still win the league even if the pressure gets to them.

Should is a different word yo could, believe it or not. Again, words in mouth!!

The fact you think Leicesters wheels are stumbling after a draw in a freakish game against a very decent team just means we aren't going to reach any consensus !! So let's leave it there!

It's ever so slightly less absurd as you saying Spurs haven't had that good of a season and Man United could should would never had a hope of being ahead of Spurs, whatever makes you feel better I don't care. All the important stats show the differ (both in the league and against Man United). Which was the point I made. You made a silly statement about Spurs, I made a slightly less silly statement about Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

As an aside, can any Spurs fan tell me why Danny Rose was getting dogs abuse last night? Incident from a previous game? Disparaging remarks about Stoke? Turned down an offer to join them before?

kfallon wrote: »
    As an aside, can any Spurs fan tell me why Danny Rose was getting dogs abuse last night? Incident from a previous game? Disparaging remarks about Stoke? Turned down an offer to join them before?

He was playing for Sunderland 4 years ago on loan and I think something happened between the two sides. I'm not entirely sure what exactly.

It's ever so slightly less absurd as you saying Spurs haven't had that good of a season and Man United could should would never had a hope of being ahead of Spurs, whatever makes you feel better I don't care. All the important stats show the differ (both in the league and against Man United). Which was the point I made. You made a silly statement about Spurs, I made a slightly less silly statement about Leicester.

Just To clarify, I have never said Spurs have had anything but an outstanding season (I have them backed at 16/1 after watching them against Sunderland around mid January where they were phenonemal, better than last night and against United I think) but they are a team well capable of a hiccup as emphasised by defeats to teams like Palace, Newcastle, West Ham and Leicester whilst many (im not specifically talking about you) think because of the nature of their fixtures on paper being against "lesser teams" means they are a shoe in for 12 points. That was merely my point. Spurs fan or not, I think you will agree its a legitimate point.

And you are completely twisting whatever I said about the United game to make my points look silly!!

Now lets please leave it there.! We are just repeating the same points!

Handshake.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Timing and the absence of a key, key player. Doesn't even matter who the opposition is, in fact its almost worse that its a poor team because that would remove any excuses for dropped points apart from cracking under the pressure.

But the absence of Vardy right at this exact moment is a real problem, are those 1-0's going to turn into 0-0's because of losing their main goalscorer? Thats a far bigger loss than Henderson was for Liverpool in my opinion and it couldn't have come at a worse time.

So, win without him and the confidence returns. But lose without him...

Indeed Liverpool were very lucky injury wise that season considering they only really had a squad of 14/15 players, Henderson's red card definitely didn't help. That's why the FA charging Vardy could prove crucial, 1 game against Swansea I think they'd do enough, 3?

Pressure works both ways, Del Ali's miss anybody? Spurs test will be it all square in the 88th minute and grabbing that winner. Leicester can afford a draw or 2, Spurs can't. Unlike Man City they don't have experience of this, most of them haven't even got CL and winning the 4th place trophy experience.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

We've got our own sub-forum.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/837

More than welcome over there

*as long as you're not an arsenal Fan.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think Spurs will win it now. I can see them winning every game from here on in, maybe only a point against Newcastle if they're not safe by then. The only game I can see Leicester winning is Sunday's vs Swansea. Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I also don't see anything that suggests Leicester will blow it from here.

They're 5 points better off over 34 games and 2 points better off over the last 6.

I know Spurs are playing well, but Leicester are still getting results. I don't see how anyone can realistically expect a 5 point deficit to be overturned over 4 games. 2 of those games will be at home against teams with nothing to play for and 1 of them is away to a Chelsea side with abysmal home form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Essien wrote: »
    I'm not saying it won't happen, but I also don't see anything that suggests Leicester will blow it from here.

They're 5 points better off over 34 games and 2 points better off over the last 6.

I know Spurs are playing well, but Leicester are still getting results. I don't see how anyone can realistically expect a 5 point deficit to be overturned over 4 games. 2 of those games will be at home against teams with nothing to play for and 1 of them is away to a Chelsea side with abysmal home form.

Do you think they are playing well though? Their performances of late haven't been as impressive as they were a couple of months ago. Whenever their form has been called into question the point has been downplayed and largely dismissed on the grounds that have been getting results - which they have - but their performances in the games merit questioning.

Mahrez, for instance, seems to have gone off the boil a bit the past few games compared to the stellar heights he was hitting and that's a concern with Vardy maybe gone for the next two games. Will their key men step up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Do you think they are playing well though? Their performances of late haven't been as impressive as they were a couple of months ago. Whenever their form has been called into question the point has been downplayed and largely dismissed on the grounds that have been getting results - which they have - but their performances in the games merit questioning.

Mahrez, for instance, seems to have gone off the boil a bit the past few games compared to the stellar heights he was hitting and that's a concern with Vardy maybe gone for the next two games. Will their key men step up?

I'd still expect them to have enough to beat Swansea without Vardy and then Everton when he's back, I don't think they'd be top of the league now if they weren't capable of that much.

The Chelsea game is a dead rubber, and even if it wasn't I'd fancy Leicester the way we're playing. I think if Leicester go into that game needing a win, they'll get it.

I expect them to drop points at United.

Like I said, I'm not saying they won't blow it, I just think it's a lot to ask for Leicester to drop 5 while Spurs drop none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vardy's two games out could yet be their Henderson three game ban which helped scupper Liverpool a couple of seasons back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If its down to the last game of the season I reckon there wouldnt be many inside Stamford Bridge who would mind a roll over of sorts against Leicester, although they way we've been playing they wouldnt even need that theyed turn us over regardless.

Theres also Spurs recoird at the Bridge, a ground theyve to visit soon, theyve not won in the league at the Bridge in about 25 years but this is certainly their best chance of doing so in a long, long time, if they drop points at the Bridge, theyre done for.

I'd nearly go Schlupp against Swansea, stick Okazaki in central position with Albrighton behind same type of tactics, using speed and power and bring on ulloa in the second half. I'd trust King to do a job also. Neither at Vardy's current standard but both itching to get out there and contribute.

Just read Mahrez cost 400 K..............

Ashley Young wages..........165 K PER WEEK

Milner..................£ 165 K PER WEEK

PERSPECTIVE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Is calling the ref a cnut worthy of an additional game ban?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is calling the ref a cnut worthy of an additional game ban?

Yes I think so. Children idolize these footballers and often imitate them, so would you like it if kids started going around calling people "cnuts" when they're unhappy with something, thinking its the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Tinie wrote: »
    Yes I think so. Children idolize these footballers and often imitate them, so would you like it if kids started going around calling people "cnuts" when they're unhappy with something, thinking its the norm?

They probably shouldn't be listening to their parents then, because any kid who is going around calling people ***** isn't doing it because they say Vardy's lips move on TV to something that might have been ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I approve of bans for sh*tty behaviour. There's far too much disrespect shown towards referees in this sport which would not be tolerated in other sports.

Some of the antics in that Atletico/Barca game were embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

A rolling Moss gathers no stone, Vardy's a good boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Reports coming out tonight that the ref was abused by Leicester officials (presumably some of the coaching staff?), that the ref had water thrown on him by Leicester fans and that the West Ham directors were abused as well.
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/722343893413572608

Won't someone think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'd rather spurs go on and win it from here. I've a festering dislike for Leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TBF, Jon Moss is the most useless ref in the league, they should take that into consideration too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'd rather spurs go on and win it from here. I've a festering dislike for Leicester

You supposed to be an Arsenal fan?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No problem with players being banned for abusing officials, it should be applied consistently though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

You supposed to be an Arsenal fan?

I am an arsenal fan, I don't like spurs and the spurs fans on here will testify to that. But I admire what they're doing under pochetino and I think they're the best team in the league this season. Even though it sickens me to say it.

No problem with players being banned for abusing officials, it should be applied consistently though.

Rooney got a 2 game ban for swearing at a camera in 2011. Is swearing at an inanimate object just after scoring a goal worse than swearing at a ref? Considering in almost every game you see players constantly swear at the refs the consistency from the FA is farcical. I mean Jordan Henderson spends pretty much every minute he's on the pitch abusing the refs and never gets pulled for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I am an arsenal fan, I don't like spurs and the spurs fans on here will testify to that. But I admire what they're doing under pochetino and I think they're the best team in the league this season. Even though it sickens me to say it.

They were average enough until the hammering of Bournemouth and things seemed to click into gear then iirc (Man City hammering excluded).

Purposely throwing in the towel against Dortmund was something to be frowned upon. Poch is a great character alright and they have had stand out players and performances. As a Chelsea fan , Spurs finish ahead of Arsenal grand but as champions ahead of Leicester nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jayop wrote: »
    Rooney got a 2 game ban for swearing at a camera in 2011. Is swearing at an inanimate object just after scoring a goal worse than swearing at a ref?
    Swearing at a camera is a bit different to swearing at say a corner flag now.

• Advertisement

As a Chelsea fan , Spurs finish ahead of Arsenal grand but as champions ahead of Leicester nah.

I understand your position but I cannot warm to Leicester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

is it because everyone else likes them

Can you not at least warm to a story where a team were 8 points off relegation safety a year ago and now are on the brink to winning the Premier league with a team worth a tiny fraction of most of the other teams in the league!! With a striker who was playing non league football only a few years ago who is now a shoe in for POTY ! Surely that gives you a warm feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

baz2009 wrote: »
    Can being top of the league after a 38 game season really be called a "smash and grab"?

Fair enough if it's a lucky streak in the FA Cup, but not the league.

A smash and grab season and a half actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ah lads to be fair, abusing the ref deserves extra game. Id like to see it done everytime, Vardy deserves his suspension, saying the Moss is possibly the worst ref in the league and never should have been near that game. Surely they could have got one of the big boys in for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Can you not at least warm to a story where a team were 8 points off relegation safety a year ago and now are on the brink to winning the Premier league with a team worth a tiny fraction of most of the other teams in the league!! With a striker who was playing non league football only a few years ago who is now a shoe in for POTY ! Surely that gives you a warm feeling!

I think this is what irritates some people, the attitude that if you're not on the bandwagon, there must be something wrong with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I'd love to Leicester winning the league, but it would be a great story if Spurs did it too. And while I agree with the above points and think its a fairytale season for them, it may not inspire everyone

In Euro 2004 for instance, I hated Greece as they played some of the most mind-numbingly awful football I have ever seen at a major tournament (even Trap 2012). I thought and still think it was a travesty that they won it even though it was held up as an example of what smaller nations could achieve.

I think this is what irritates some people, the attitude that if you're not on the bandwagon, there must be something wrong with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I'd love to Leicester winning the league, but it would be a great story if Spurs did it too. And while I agree with the above points and think its a fairytale season for them, it may not inspire everyone

In Euro 2004 for instance, I hated Greece as they played some of the most mind-numbingly awful football I have ever seen at a major tournament (even Trap 2012). I thought and still think it was a travesty that they won it even though it was held up as an example of what smaller nations could achieve.

I wouldn't even mention Greece when talking about this Leicester team. Leicesters journey is so different to Greece's month long tournament in sooooooooo many contexts, putting aside the fact that both teams have/had displayed solid defence 9even though Leicester were rather shaky at the back early on).

I just cannot see why this story wouldn't be inspirational, not even for a Spurs fan! I'm not saying people SHOULD find it such but i'd be shocked if anyone said what they have done is extraordinary!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yeah comparing that Greece team to this Leicester team is completely out of order.

Yeah comparing that Greece team to this Leicester team is completely out of order.

sarcasm...? :D:D:D:D

Its not out of order, I can see why people may point to all the 1 - 0s to back up their point but Leicester control midfield and get forward a hell of a lot. Some of those games they won 1 - 0 could have been 2/3 goal victories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not comparing the style of football, just the attitude that you have to be inspired by a team succeeding against the odds. If you want a better example, ask Leeds fans from the 70's if they were inspired by Clough's Forest the same way you are by Leicester's run

Advertisement