Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Big pressure now on Spurs tomorrow.

Pressure certainly, but Spurs should beat a disinterested WBA easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Pressure certainly, but Spurs should beat a disinterested WBA easily.

Absolutely you'd expect so but after today's win Spurs will know any slip up means Leicester need only 1 more win. I still expect Spurs to win tomorrow in which case we'll have Leicester 5 points ahead with both sides having 3 games to go and that would make next weekends games great to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's set up all season really for Ranieri to either win or lose the title at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

4-0!

Great work from Gray there, Kings header was awful if that was meant to be an attempt to Score! Feel nicely for Albrighton though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ah lads (girls ; ) ) seriously!!!!! This is amazing!!!!!

Leicester are probably going to win the Premier League! I cant find any suitable superlatives to describe this story anymore!!!

Its f'in ridiculous!!!

Gwan Leicester!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

They're going to pull off the greatest sporting achievement of all time.

Unbelievable.

"Hey Ashley Williams."

"Oh, Hey Claudio".

"As promised........"

bribery-act.jpg

BOOKS FLIGHT TO BIRMINGHAM for both 7th May and 15th of May.............

BOOKS TAXI TO LEICESTER FROM AIRPORT ON SAME DATE

BUYS LEICESTER JERSEY

FIND OUT WHERE>>>>>>>

CU7Ad7zUsAA_j54.jpg

• Advertisement

Some weekend of footy coming up. Assuming Spurs get 3 pts tomorrow its a big test for Leicester next Sun at OT. Utd will be pushing hard for a win in that 4th spot CL qualifying fight.

Is the PFA Awards on tv tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

never thought they'd do it - but can't see Spurs getting more than 7 points - think Chelsea will do them - the dream is becoming a reality

Just shows how overrated Vardy has been considering that was their biggest win of the season??? I reckon he won't get into the team when he gets back..................

1kickfish.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Just shows how overrated Vardy has been considering that was their biggest win of the season??? I reckon he won't get into the team when he gets back??

So this is what you take from today's match? Weird...

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    So this is what you take from today's match? Weird...

hehe!!

Caught one already!!

That didn't take long!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Paully D wrote: »
    They're going to pull off the greatest sporting achievement of all time.

Unbelievable.

Greatest upset perhaps but nowhere near the greatest achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

easily one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time

Is the PFA Awards on tv tonight??

anyone know??

hehe!!

Caught one already!!

That didn't take long!!

Go out and play with the other children

• Advertisement

In my opinion winning in an individual sport is always a much greater achievement than any achievement in team sport as you have no help in your achievement you have to do it by yourself.Winning a major in Tennis or Golf , and Olympic gold medal etc is a greater achievement than a team winning a domestic league title.

It's incredible what they are going to do but I'd rank it as the greatest upset of all time rather than the greatest achievement.

Leciester are not even becoming the best team at what they do just the best team in England.

If by all time you mean England, football, last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

In my opinion winning in an individual sport is always a much greater achievement than any achievement in team sport as you have no help in your achievement you have to do it by yourself.Winning a major in Tennis or Golf , and Olympic gold medal etc is a greater achievement than a team winning a domestic league title.

It's incredible what they are going to do but I'd rank it as the greatest upset of all time rather than the greatest achievement.

That makes no sense. How can Leicester winning the league not be the greatest achievement because it is a team sport but it can be the greatest upset?

Go out and play with the other children

What????????!

Chill out! It was obviously just a joke!! Clearly I was messing, mate!

Hence the "fishing rod"!

That makes no sense. How can Leicester winning the league not be the greatest achievement because it is a team sport but it can be the greatest upset?

Achievement to me means reaching the absolute pinnacle and being the absolute best.Leicester will not do either.

It's a great upset because they were so unfancied but they have not become the best at what they do.

Jordan Spieth winning 2 golf majors last year, Serena Williams winning 3 tennis Majors are much greater achievements across a season in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Looks like LC are not getting a dose of the Slippys

Fair play to them

Trying to derail much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Achievement to means means reaching the absolute pinnacle and being the absolute best.Leicester will not do either.

It's a great upset because they were so unfancied but they have not become the best at what they do.

Jordan Spieth winning 2 golf majors last year, Serena Williams winning 3 tennis Majors are much greater achievements across a season in my opinion.

But then Goran Ivanesivic winning Wimbledon has to be the biggest upset. You're just not being consistant. For me winning across 38 games is an achievement. Leicester winning will probably be the biggest achievement and upset that i can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why not

For a relatively low spending, perennial yo yo team, more likely a second or third their team, to in their 2nd season up, go out and win a league that is dominated by money is beyond amazing.

But because they have been to for so long its almost like we have become accustomed to them being top.

Achievement to means means reaching the absolute pinnacle and being the absolute best.Leicester will not do either.

I'm not sure I can agree with you here. Being the best doesn't mean the best to look at. Being the best is when you win that competition that is meant to flush out the best.

No they aren't!! Spieth has been almost at the top of his game for a few years and was among the top 3 favourites, if not top 2 for both those tournaments!

Serena is a worse example still!

Come on Dingus! You can do better than that!

If you go by that logic, Greece winning the Euros is a better achievment even still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Man Utd v Leicester will really be a fascinating game next weekend

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

anyone know??
    Highlights are on BBC One tomorrow at 11:15pm, don't think it's on live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

marno21 wrote: »

Is there any genuine chance that it would not go to Mahrez ??

But then Goran Ivanesivic winning Wimbledon has to be the biggest upset. You're just not being consistant. For me winning across 38 games is an achievement. Leicester winning will probably be the biggest achievement and upset that i can remember.

Yeah I guess you could put Ivanisevic up there but I don't think his odds were as wide as Leicesters.

Leicester are going to win a domestic title in a down year for the league (and to be honest it is) it's a massive upset but it's not reaching the absolute peak of performance in their sport and achievements on an individual level are always much greater than an achievement as a team in my opinion (as teams compensate for the individual flaws the players have) and therefore I would always rank the achivements of an individual sportsman above a great achievement by a team.

marno21 wrote: »

Thanks mate. Will be a bit of formal waffle anyway I assume!

No they aren't!! Spieth has been almost at the top of his game for a few years and was among the top 3 favourites, if not top 2 for both those tournaments!

Serena is a worse example still!

Come on Dingus! You can do better than that!

If you go by that logic, Greece winning the Euros is a better achievment even still!

Exactly those are not upsets but those individual achieving the absolute peak of performance is greater than what Leicester have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Leciester are not even becoming the best team at what they do just the best team in England.

key quote there

a manager who couldn't beat the Faeroe Islands getting a team of 11 players who aren't up to the standard to get into their respective national teams of which the entire squad cost the same as half of Sterling using a tactic which has been proven not to work long term to win a league which has unapologetically been won every year by the team who spent the most money every year since TV money came in

is an absolutely monumental achievement when you consider the sheer investment, pulling power for players and calibre of player their direct opponents have. Not to mention he has managed to stay consistent for the entire season, this is practically unheard of for small teams.

I respect that you believe individual achievements are more impressive but Leicester have completely turned upside down all notions for what was traditionally needed to win titles (€€€€) by sheer grit, teamwork and hard work. Not to mention what a message this is considering the £2.1b investment BT/SKy have made!

I'm the most hardened cynic and I'd love to say "it's all Sky hype, remember when this team won that cup in that sport"...but just can't think of anything that comes close tbh.

I'm not sure I can agree with you here. Being the best doesn't mean the best to look at. Being the best is when you win that competition that is meant to flush out the best.

The point I'm making is that in my opinion individual achievements are always better than team achievements because teams allow flaws to be compensated for which is not the case for an individual competitor.

• Advertisement

The point I'm making is that in my opinion individual achievements are always better than team achievements because teams allow flaws to be compensated for which is not the case for an individual competitor.

On the other hand...they have to be better than teams, which means they have to rely on the unity of purpose, ability across a number of individuals, ability to devise tactics that suit a range of players etc. rather than one person simply being the best around or better than other individuals.

That's not to say team efforts are better mind you, rather that other considerations and obstacles come into play that an individual does not necessarily face.

But individuals are also facing other individuals, most of whom have are below their talent?

I guess there is different logic to apply to everything. A lot of variables. Opponent levels, form, expectancy, pressure, value of prize, Consistency, how convincing and clinical the victory is, hurdles faced , sudden and unbelievable progression over a short period etc

I think Leicester's achievment (if it comes about ) fulfills all those variables moreso than your two examples.

On another note I need Benfica to win tonight for a weekend €655 accy! Now that is some sporting achievment!

smiley-winks-emoticon.gif

But individuals are also facing other individuals, most of whom have are below their talent?

I guess there is different logic to apply to everything. A lot of variables. Opponent levels, form, expectancy, pressure, value of prize, Consistency, how convincing and clinical the victory is, hurdles faced , sudden and unbelievable progression over a short period etc

I think Leicester's achievment (if it comes about ) fulfills all those variables moreso than your two examples.

Perhaps but I'd view being out there on your own and having no one else to rely on being more difficult.

If you are on a team you can have a drop in performance during a game/season and your team mates can bail you which is not the case in an individual sport.It must be a great comfort knowing you have team mates to bail you out and a dip in performance may not make any difference.

Jamie Vardy was able to get himself sent off last week get suspended and gone out of form at times and it won't cost him.Jordan Spieth had one disaster of a hole a few weeks ago and he couldn't get away with it.

Jamie Vardy was able to get himself sent off last week get suspended and gone out of form at times and it won't cost him.Jordan Spieth had one disaster of a hole a few weeks ago and he couldn't get away with it.

He could have, in theory, reeled off a few birdies to recover. The team player is relying on others to dig deep as well and to recover as a team. So if a team player scores an own goal, all the good work by him or her after may not be enough to prevent it from causing a loss if he or others don't score once or more.

He could have, in theory, reeled off a few birdies to recover. The team player is relying on others to dig deep as well and to recover as a team. So if a team player scores an own goal, all the good work by him or her after may not be enough to prevent it from causing a loss if he or others don't score once or more.

But that's exactly the point.He had to recover himself he couldn't rely on his team mates to help him out of the hole he dug for himself.

• Advertisement

Perhaps but I'd view being out there on your own and having no one else to rely on being more difficult.

If you are on a team you can have a drop in performance during a game/season and your team mates can bail you which is not the case in an individual sport.It must be a great comfort knowing you have team mates to bail you out and a dip in performance may not make any difference.

The achievment is moreso related to the progression of the team. 42 points better off than this time last season is ridiculous in such a competitive league?
    Whereas Spieth and the likes have been at that level or close to it for a few years.
    Next year if Leicester win the league it wouldn't be half as big of an achievment but still astonishing to win it two years consecutively which is now a very difficult task for any PL team.

You mention "individual factor"
    But if you are applying that logic, every golfer or tennis player is in the same boat as eachother in that respect so it can't be assumed to be that huge a factor? Golfers and tennis players can also make up for errors during a game and ultimately it comes down to their talent, confidence and mindset.

All of these variables are part of the course for individuals in both sports referred to and its a combination of these which makes a player's level what it is. State of Health obviously is huge also.

So the individual who can master a the most healthy balance of all 4 (as well as a couple less significant factors ) will be the most consistent player and that is the case for the two players you referred to.

As I said there is far more variables involved in team sports and for ateam like Leicester to find themselves as achieving the most superior team with the best balance of same variables in such a short period is astonishing.

That could also be considered an achievement though. To compensate for Vardy running dry.

But for spieth. In my opinion it mostly shows what a bitch of a game golf is. A whole week of hard work can become undone on one hole. Look st Ernie Els his masters tourney was over after 1 hole. It's the toughest game like that. You can easily drop a game or even a set in tennis and you could recover no bother.

That could also be considered an achievement though. To compensate for Vardy running dry.

But for spieth. In my opinion it mostly shows what a bitch of a game golf is. A whole week of hard work can become undone on one hole. Look st Ernie Els his masters tourney was over after 1 hole. It's the toughest game like that. You can easily drop a game or even a set in tennis and you could recover no bother.

I played golf for a few summers in my teenage years but gave up due to the sheer frustration of it.It drove me completely insane.

If Spieth had birdied the 16th I think he probably would have got a playoff at least and won the tournament which in my opinion would have been the greatest comeback in sports history. To beat yourself and yet so soon after get over it and go on to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Honestly I don't care about it being an individual or team thing. This is ****ing fantastic. It's madder than the thought of leitrim winning the all Ireland in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So Leicesters 9 "easy" game run is over.

In that time they have won 23 of 27 points available.
    Scored 15
    Conceded 5
    And have strected their lead by at least 3 points.

Stuff of champions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement