Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So Leicesters 9 "easy" game run is over.

In that time they have won 23 of 27 points available.
    Scored 15
    Conceded 5
    And have strected their lead by at least 3 points.

Stuff of champions.

How many more prs to win . 4 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

So Leicesters 9 "easy" game run is over.

In that time they have won 23 of 27 points available.
    Scored 15
    Conceded 5
    And have strected their lead by at least 3 points.

Stuff of champions.

some form. They really a bunch of heroes (sporting wise!!)

Must be some unbelievable atmosphere and comradery amongst them in that dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah I guess you could put Ivanisevic up there but I don't think his odds were as wide as Leicesters.

Leicester are going to win a domestic title in a down year for the league (and to be honest it is) it's a massive upset but it's not reaching the absolute peak of performance in their sport and achievements on an individual level are always much greater than an achievement as a team in my opinion (as teams compensate for the individual flaws the players have) and therefore I would always rank the achivements of an individual sportsman above a great achievement by a team.

But somebody like Spurs would have been the obvious choice in an off year, not Leicester, not even close.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

On another note I need Benfica to win tonight for a weekend €655 accy! Now that is some sporting achievment!

Congrats!

aresult.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Anyone watching MOTD2? What the **** kind of jumper is Charlie Adam wearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If your going to have arrows on your jumper, don't have them pointing to your rolls of fat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

The three most boring and dull lads ever to analyse soccer matches are on MOTD2 tonight. I'm struggling to stay awake listening to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

K-9 wrote: »
    But somebody like Spurs would have been the obvious choice in an off year, not Leicester, not even close.

Absolutely what they've achieved is incredible but it is still a poor enough year for the league and it's not quiet the pinnacle of achievement in my opinion.

The great Arsenal team of the 00's the Chelsea team just after them and the Man Utd team who won dominated in the late 00's would have walked the league this year.Leicester have been emboldened by the mediocrity of their competitors.Had they a genuine great team competing with them I suspect they would have dropped a few more points here and there.

Also I suspect had Spurs not been in Europe they may be in a much better shape to win it, 4 times they dropped points in league matches after group stage games in Europe.I suspect had the known then that they would be genuine title contenders they wouldn't have bothered their holes in Europe as I imagine at the start of the season they thought they would be competing for top 4 and a run in the Europa league to get champions league qualification through that method.

It's an incredible achievement for Leicester but I can't consider it the greatest achievement in sport as was suggested earlier for these reasons and others I've explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Mahrez poty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Malogen

• Advertisement

Mahrez poty.

100% deserved.

I thought Vardy might get it because he's English but Mahrez and Kante have been the 2 best players in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

100% deserved.

I thought Vardy might get it because he's English but Mahrez and Kante have been the 2 best players in that team.

While i agree that both have been immensely important, so too has vardy. Really had to go to mahrez though. He has been incredibly consistent and creative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice gracious words from Mahrez too, putting over his team.
    "All the credit is for them, seriously," Mahrez said.

"And for my manager and the staff. Without them I wouldn't receive this award and I wouldn't score. It's the team spirit, and I want to dedicate it to them.

"I'm very grateful to receive this award, it's a pleasure. It's extra special because if the players vote for me it's because they've seen I've been great this year so I'm happy.

"But it's more team things. Without my team-mates I wouldn't get this award."

"The secret has been team spirit.

"We work so hard for each other. We are like brothers, it's everywhere on the pitch. That's our strength.

"If sometimes we are not good, we know we are going to run and make the effort for our team-mates. That is the secret of our success."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0424/783985-riyad-mahrez-named/

He comes across like a level-headed guy. I'm glad he got the award as he's had a hell of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Mahrez poty.

If I had a vote....
    Kante
    An absolute hero this season. Does the work of 2 men in midfield. Takes up excellent positions. Always wants the ball. Can tackle, run with the ball, keeps possession of the ball... & intelligently. He is the main reason they have been able to play only 2 men in the middle.

Absolutely what they've achieved is incredible but it is still a poor enough year for the league and it's not quiet the pinnacle of achievement in my opinion.

The great Arsenal team of the 00's the Chelsea team just after them and the Man Utd team who won dominated in the late 00's would have walked the league this year.Leicester have been emboldened by the mediocrity of their competitors.Had they a genuine great team competing with them I suspect they would have dropped a few more points here and there.

Also I suspect had Spurs not been in Europe they may be in a much better shape to win it, 4 times they dropped points in league matches after group stage games in Europe.I suspect had the known then that they would be genuine title contenders they wouldn't have bothered their holes in Europe as I imagine at the start of the season they thought they would be competing for top 4 and a run in the Europa league to get champions league qualification through that method.

It's an incredible achievement for Leicester but I can't consider it the greatest achievement in sport as was suggested earlier for these reasons and others I've explained.

Those are valid points you have made but Leicester need to be commended for their team spirit, willingness to fight for each other, and also there is some individual brilliance there. Mahrez and Vardy have been outstanding as have Drinkwater and Kante
    Then you have the likes of Ulloa, Albrighton and Gray who are able to come in and fill the gaps.

I genuinely hope its the start of great things for the club and Raneiri because they have the likeability factor in abundance. This was no fluke. Yes they didnt have Europe to contend with but on paper they should have no right to be there. There is a courage and honesty you'd have to admire. There was one point today where Morgan bursted a lung to win a ball. Eventually he was fouled by Routledge and Ulloa scored from the subsequent free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pure second season syndrome.

I wonder if the other teams are getting caught up the romance? Will the likes of West a rom, who had nothing to play for, try and up their game to help Lecister?
    Kind of the reverse of wanting to beat the best team, whereas now they want to help the best team.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I wonder if the other teams are getting caught up the romance? Will the likes of West a rom, who had nothing to play for, try and up their game to help Lecister?
    Kind of the reverse of wanting to beat the best team, whereas now they want to help the best team.

Eden Hazard said in an interview they desperately want to stop Spurs winning the tittle which is perfectly fine if they were only playing Spurs in their last few games but they are playing Leicester as well and he really shouldn't have said that.

The situation that you have raised and what Hzard has said confirms to me what I've always thought that a season with a league portion and then playoffs to confirm who wins the championship is probably the best way to decide the championship as all teams at the end of the season have the same incentive to win.The timing of certain fixtures can be a help/hindrance to teams in a purely league situation.

• OwaynOTT wrote: »

I really don't believe in this.
    It's up to Leicester to finish the job.
    It's up to everyone else to be professional.
    Only Leicester have got themselves and a bit of luck to thank for being in this position.

But at the same time the "Nicey Nicey, let's all hope Leicester win the league" will end soon. Especially If they do become Champions somebody is going to have to challenge them..

We have points to take from them before the season ends and I most certainly hope we do.they are rivals, nothing more nothing leas. And should be treated so.

Interesting position we are in. Yet again we can have a say in the title race without actually challenging. You can bet your ass Utd will be hated by rivals even more if we upset the fairytale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Praying for a shock win for west brom, even if its a draw, Leicester could wrap it up by next Sunday away to united.

If vardy doesn't get it his 2nd game ban he's had extra rest and will cause united a lot of problems.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I really don't believe in this.
    It's up to Leicester to finish the job.
    It's up to everyone else to be professional.
    Only Leicester have got themselves and a bit of luck to thank for being in this position.

But at the same time the "Nicey Nicey, let's all hope Leicester win the league" will end soon. Especially If they do become Champions somebody is going to have to challenge them..

We have points to take from them before the season ends and I most certainly hope we do.

I don't believe for a second Utd won't try to beat them, as they still think they'll get fourth.
    I was thinking more of the teams playing Spurs. West Brom, Chelsea and the likes, who have nothing to play for.
    Will they have extra motivation against Spurs, Everton and Chelsea won't have against Lecister?
    Next year is a different teapot of perriwinkles.

• OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't believe for a second Utd won't try to beat them, as they still think they'll get fourth.
    I was thinking more of the teams playing Spurs. West Brom, Chelsea and the likes, who have nothing to play for.
    Will they have extra motivation against Spurs, Everton and Chelsea won't have against Lecister?
    Next year is a different teapot of perriwinkles.

Fair point when you in particular you look at Chelsea & Everton, but as it stands LC can simply finish the job by concentrating on the games they have left.

Would be silly to leave it in the hands of others when they can do it themselves.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fair point when you in particular you look at Chelsea & Everton, but as it stands LC can simply finish the job by concentrating on the games they have left.

Would be silly to leave it in the hands of others when they can do it themselves.

I doubt Ranieri is in the dressing room at the weekend going, 'don't worry lads, owaynott reckons the other clubs will step it up against Spurs, so go out and enjoy yourselves.'

If Utd/Chelsea were Lecister and Spurs were Spurs, I reckon Spurs would find it easier.
    Sure, their all professional athletes but their not automatons and thus they feel emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

While i agree that both have been immensely important, so too has vardy. Really had to go to mahrez though. He has been incredibly consistent and creative

Consistent? Can't agree with that! Has gone anonymous in the last few games - did play well yesterday. I really think that the voting came at the right time for Mahrez.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Will Vardy get back in the team??? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Will Vardy get back in the team??? ;)

Loved the chants sang during the 4-0 win yesterday:

'4-0 to the one man team.... 4-0 to the one man team...."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If I had a vote....
    Kante
    An absolute hero this season. Does the work of 2 men in midfield. Takes up excellent positions. Always wants the ball. Can tackle, run with the ball, keeps possession of the ball... & intelligently. He is the main reason they have been able to play only 2 men in the middle.

Kante would have got my vote as well, he was never going to win it though as he plays an unfashionable role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The situation that you have raised and what Hzard has said confirms to me what I've always thought that a season with a league portion and then playoffs to confirm who wins the championship is probably the best way to decide the championship as all teams at the end of the season have the same incentive to win.The timing of certain fixtures can be a help/hindrance to teams in a purely league situation.

To me, that just kicks the can down the road a little bit. Say the top 4 teams are in the playoffs, then instead of the potential for teams to be biased for/against the title contenders, they could be biased for/against the teams in the running for the top 4 spots. You'd have the same type of problem and Hazards comments would be equally divisive if Spurs and Leicester were fighting it out for the last playoff spot.

Besides, I think the drama of the final few games makes the PL all the more interesting. The tricky games against the relegation battlers, the easy wins against a team "on the beach already", the personal rivalries heating up (like Chelsea/Spurs). Teams have 38 games to achieve the position they aimed for, they know the fixture schedule, it's down to them to do the job.

I'd hate to see any sort of blatant game throwing though to manipulate the table. Hazard's comments may have been stupid but as long as Chelsea (or any other team) approach every game with the intent of getting the best result possible, then it's only a stupid comment and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Hazard will probably have a few awkward conversations with a few of his Belgian team mates at the next meet up after his comments.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Considering Cesc said he wants Leicester to win it too on Monday night football, I dont see any problem in it being honest.

What team wants their neighbours and rivals winning anything, it would be the same if Arsenal were in Spurs positions, from a Chelsea POV.

Subsequently, if the roles were reveresed, I've no doubt Spurs or Arsenal would go all out and try stop us from winning the league if it meant Leicester or another side were to win it over Chelsea, thats just how it is.

The best thing I've seen though is on Twitter, with Spurs fans moaning about match fixing. :pac:

Leicester are on course to win the league becasue theyve been the best and most consistent team over 34/35 games so far and fair f**ks to them, everybody doubted them, everyone was asking after 10,15,20,25 games can they keep it going see it out and they kept stringing results together, when they dropped points, nobody else could captailise when they did have a slip up.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Considering Cesc said he wants Leicester to win it too on Monday night football, I dont see any problem in it being honest.

What team wants their neighbours and rivals winning anything, it would be the same if Arsenal were in Spurs positions, from a Chelsea POV.

Subsequently, if the roles were reveresed, I've no doubt Spurs or Arsenal would go all out and try stop us from winning the league if it meant Leicester or another side were to win it over Chelsea, thats just how it is.

The best thing I've seen though is on Twitter, with Spurs fans moaning about match fixing. :pac:

Leicester are on course to win the league becasue theyve been the best and most consistent team over 34/35 games so far and fair f**ks to them, everybody doubted them, everyone was asking after 10,15,20,25 games can they keep it going see it out and they kept stringing results together, when they dropped points, nobody else could captailise when they did have a slip up.

The issue will be if Leciester manage to win on the last day of the season by virtue of getting a result against Chelsea the commenst from Chelsea players that they don't want Spurs to win and therefore want Leicester to win it would kind of take away a tiny bit from what Leicester achieved and it's unfair on Leicester to have any doubts about them should this happen.

It's completely against what sport is supposed to be about.

Would it be right if on the last day of the season a draw is enough for Spurs to win the title and Newcastle to survive and there is an agrement amongst the players to play out a 0-0 draw.It would be a sensible thing to do but totally against the spirit of sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The issue will be if Leciester manage to win on the last day of the season by virtue of getting a result against Chelsea the commenst from Chelsea players that they don't want Spurs to win and therefore want Leicester to win it would kind of take away a tiny bit from what Leicester achieved

no it wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wouldn't worry about hazards comment's. He is just coming out with a popular soundbite for the Chelsea supporter's as he isn't particularly flavour of the month with them. If he cared so much what the Chelsea supporters thought he wouldnt have gone through the motions at times this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The vast majority of Spurs fans don't think there's any sort of match fixing, conspiracies or drug scandals behind Leicesters position. They are there, because over the entire season, they have been the best team. Not the best to watch at time, as they've had plenty of 1-0, but they've gotten the results they've needed, and i expect them to be crowned champions in 2 weeks time. And fair play to them.

Hazard said he didn't want a local rival to win the league...stop the presses!! Of course he doesn't want us to win. Just like we never want Chelsea or Arsenal to win.

And anyway, he's been so **** all season, i'm quite happy to continue forgetting all about him (until he inevitably scores against us :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

United are going to **** this up. It'd be typical of them. Lie down for Spurs, beat Leceister. Even when they're not winning everything in sight they still manage attract the hatred of every right thinking, normal fan. Hopefully I'm being overly pessimistic!

no it wouldnt

I'm not sure about that.

A team potentially lying down and letting another team win for a league title would be a dreadful way to win a title.

People still harp on about Argentina's 1978 world cup win not being justified because of there was potentially some match fixing involved.

This obvioulsy isn't match fixing but you'd hope Chelsea put in a big performance in that game should the title still be up for grabs on the last day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is not going to be any wide spread conspiracy from players on other teams to help either team win or lose.

They are professionals looking towards their next contract, or their summer holidays, they don't care much for local rivaliaries, history etc.

The issue will be if Leciester manage to win on the last day of the season by virtue of getting a result against Chelsea the commenst from Chelsea players that they don't want Spurs to win and therefore want Leicester to win it would kind of take away a tiny bit from what Leicester achieved and it's unfair on Leicester to have any doubts about them should this happen.

It's completely against what sport is supposed to be about.

Would it be right if on the last day of the season a draw is enough for Spurs to win the title and Newcastle to survive and there is an agrement amongst the players to play out a 0-0 draw.It would be a sensible thing to do but totally against the spirit of sport.

If it goes down to the Bridge and Leicester needing a result, lets be fair, we wont have to roll over because they'll easily turn us over the way both clubs have performed this season.

Chelseas cup final this year is Spurs at the Bridge next Monday night and that makes me sad but if we get something from the game and Spurs are out of the race so be it.

I dont think the scenario will play out where the league will go down to the last game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

LiamoSail wrote: »
    United are going to **** this up. It'd be typical of them. Lie down for Spurs, beat Leceister. Even when they're not winning everything in sight they still manage attract the hatred of every right thinking, normal fan. Hopefully I'm being overly pessimistic!

You're right, United should roll over, it's not like they have a chance of making top 4. :p

Also another thing to note about Chelsea fans thinking behind it, is Ranieri at Leicester, hes remembered pretty fondly at the Bridge so you can bet any money if it was between any other team and Leicester, the majority of Chelsea fans wouldnt begrudge Ranieri any success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On a side note, this day last year LC got out of the bottom 3 for the first time in months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

On a side note, this day last year LC got out of the bottom 3 for the first time in months.
    I remember it well a relegation 6 pointer against burnley. At 0 0 burnley got a pen Schmeichel saved it. The ball got hoofed clear and 10 seconds later Vardy had scored. They won 1 0 and haven't looked back since. You wonder what way things may have turned out if that pen had of been scored. It was a huge momentum shift at the time granted leicesters form had picked up before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Am I right in saying that if Spurs draw/lose tonight all Leicester need is a result against UTD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Vicxas wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that if Spurs draw/lose tonight all Leicester need is a result against UTD?

If Spurs draw/lose tonight then a Leicester win at United will clinch the title. A draw at Old Trafford won't be enough to seal it as they will only be 8/9 points clear with Spurs still having 3 to play and a better goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

LiamoSail wrote: »

United only care about how high up the table they can finish and while there's still something to play for then what's happening at Leicester is rightly none of their concern.

Spurs beat us because on the day they were much better than us. If we beat Leicester (as I think we will) it'll be because on the day we're better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Whatever about United, Everton have nothing left to play for and their manager is probably packing his bags, and the same goes for Chelsea. I'd expect Leicester to do enough (and I wouldn't assume Spurs will go unbeaten either).

Spurs can have no complaints, if you're relying on other teams to do you favours at the end of the season, you run the risk that they'll already be mentally on the beach. It's the same every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Vicxas wrote: »

Leicester need 5 points if Spurs win, 3 if Spurs draw, and 2 if Spurs lost, to guarantee the top spot. Assuming of course that Spurs win all their other remaining games. Spurs have a +9 GD over Leicester, realistically they won't catch that if Spurs get the better results to bring it to a GD finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I really not buying the talk that chelsea would hand leicester the title to spite spurs. Theyre pros and the game , like every game, will be scrutinised on motd et al.
    Remember blackburn at anfield last game of the season ? Pool won 2/0 but rovers won the title because utd messed up .
    Leicester shoul have wrapped up anyway soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Jayop wrote: »
    United only care about how high up the table they can finish and while there's still something to play for then what's happening at Leicester is rightly none of their concern.

Spurs beat us because on the day they were much better than us. If we beat Leicester (as I think we will) it'll be because on the day we're better.
    You're right, United should roll over, it's not like they have a chance of making top 4. :p

I don't disagree, it was a light hearted comment.

Bacchus wrote: »
    To me, that just kicks the can down the road a little bit. Say the top 4 teams are in the playoffs, then instead of the potential for teams to be biased for/against the title contenders, they could be biased for/against the teams in the running for the top 4 spots. You'd have the same type of problem and Hazards comments would be equally divisive if Spurs and Leicester were fighting it out for the last playoff spot.

Besides, I think the drama of the final few games makes the PL all the more interesting. The tricky games against the relegation battlers, the easy wins against a team "on the beach already", the personal rivalries heating up (like Chelsea/Spurs). Teams have 38 games to achieve the position they aimed for, they know the fixture schedule, it's down to them to do the job.

I'd hate to see any sort of blatant game throwing though to manipulate the table. Hazard's comments may have been stupid but as long as Chelsea (or any other team) approach every game with the intent of getting the best result possible, then it's only a stupid comment and nothing more.

That could happen but if you can't comfortably finish inside the top 4 then you can't really complain.

In most European leagues you only get a good title race at most once every 2 years with playoffs you are guaranteed excitement every single year and more chance of having a Leicester type story happening more often giving more hope to clubs and fans.

Also I feel a solely league based system rewards the most consistent team rather than necessarily the best team.You can win the league by simply beating all the mediocre teams and barely breaking even against the top sides in order to win in a system with a a playoff off the end you need both consistency and the ability to win big games against the best teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That could happen but if you can't comfortably finish inside the top 4 then you can't really complain.

In most European leagues you only get a good title race at most once every 2 years with playoffs you are guaranteed excitement every single year and more chance of having a Leicester type story happening more often giving more hope to clubs and fans.

Also I feel a solely league based system rewards the most consistent team rather than necessarily the best team.You can win the league by simply beating all the mediocre teams and barely breaking even against the top sides in order to win in a system with a a playoff off the end you need both consistency and the ability to win big games against the best teams.
    That's as it should be, though (rewarding consistency, not hitting form at the right time). I'm not certain but Man Utd if I am right have one of the best records against the other top teams this year (I haven't looked into it, just making an assumption as our record against middling/lower teams has been brutal). If that carried on, Man Utd eeked their way into 4th on the last day of the season, and then went on to win in a playoff system with two drab, horrible 1-0 wins of uninspired and lethargic football, it would be an undeserved travesty. And I say that as a Man Utd fan.

Likewise, you get years where teams run away with it early but are left clinging on by the end, often due to accumulated fatigue and injuries. It happens all the time in the lower leagues to the teams who finish in the playoff spots, and it wouldn't be good for the league to do so at the top level. If they did a playoff for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th for the last two CL spots or something it could be interesting though I wouldn't agree. But for the league? No, I really would be against it if I'm honest. There are already two domestic cups, and one in Europe that teams can be competing in (be it CL or Europa), no need to turn the leagues into cups too.

All in all it seems like manufacturing excitement, which I'm just not mad on.

Advertisement