Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's as it should be, though (rewarding consistency, not hitting form at the right time). I'm not certain but Man Utd if I am right have one of the best records against the other top teams this year (I haven't looked into it, just making an assumption as our record against middling/lower teams has been brutal). If that carried on, Man Utd eeked their way into 4th on the last day of the season, and then went on to win in a playoff system with two drab, horrible 1-0 wins of uninspired and lethargic football, it would be an undeserved travesty. And I say that as a Man Utd fan.

Likewise, you get years where teams run away with it early but are left clinging on by the end, often due to accumulated fatigue and injuries. It happens all the time in the lower leagues to the teams who finish in the playoff spots, and it wouldn't be good for the league to do so at the top level. If they did a playoff for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th for the last two CL spots or something it could be interesting though I wouldn't agree. But for the league? No, I really would be against it if I'm honest. There are already two domestic cups, and one in Europe that teams can be competing in (be it CL or Europa), no need to turn the leagues into cups too.

All in all it seems like manufacturing excitement, which I'm just not mad on.

Play offs would be an unmitigated disaster. As you say the whole point of a league is to reward the best team over an entire season. There's loads of cup competitions to test teams for one off games.

Would it have been right for example to have a team at the top of the league with a 15 point margin to the 4 team and perhaps a 25 point margin to the 4th team not win the title that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

There is a league that have a playoff system involving the top 6 to decide the champions.........the Belgian league IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's as it should be, though (rewarding consistency, not hitting form at the right time). I'm not certain but Man Utd if I am right have one of the best records against the other top teams this year (I haven't looked into it, just making an assumption as our record against middling/lower teams has been brutal). If that carried on, Man Utd eeked their way into 4th on the last day of the season, and then went on to win in a playoff system with two drab, horrible 1-0 wins of uninspired and lethargic football, it would be an undeserved travesty. And I say that as a Man Utd fan.

Likewise, you get years where teams run away with it early but are left clinging on by the end, often due to accumulated fatigue and injuries. It happens all the time in the lower leagues to the teams who finish in the playoff spots, and it wouldn't be good for the league to do so at the top level. If they did a playoff for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th for the last two CL spots or something it could be interesting though I wouldn't agree. But for the league? No, I really would be against it if I'm honest. There are already two domestic cups, and one in Europe that teams can be competing in (be it CL or Europa), no need to turn the leagues into cups too.

All in all it seems like manufacturing excitement, which I'm just not mad on.

The 2 domestic cups are completely meaningless these days so they don't provide much excitement for neutral fans anymore.

Soccer is the only sport in the world where it's generally a league and solely a league that decides who the champion is and I always think playoff type situations are far more exciting as you are guaranteed do or die matches for the title each year.

My favourite match of all time is the Atletico Barcelona game on the last day of the 2013-2014 season.It may not have been aesthetically the best game I've seen but as it was a virtual playoff for the biggest prize on Spain it was an incredible game for excitement and tension.

Also if you had a 4 team playoff at the top of the premier league you could have potentially a playoff race with 8 teams toing and froing throughout the season. which would be really exciting.

I see your point about manufacturing excitement but sport is entertainment and sold as such these days and just imagine the excitement over a playoff to decide the premier league champion every year.It would be an incredible event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    There is a league that have a playoff system involving the top 6 to decide the champions.........the Belgian league IIRC
    You are correct, so does scotland, but in belgian they half the teams points totals...i know, WTF!

Jayop wrote: »
    Play offs would be an unmitigated disaster. As you say the whole point of a league is to reward the best team over an entire season. There's loads of cup competitions to test teams for one off games.

Would it have been right for example to have a team at the top of the league with a 15 point margin to the 4 team and perhaps a 25 point margin to the 4th team not win the title that year?

It's fair if everybody knows the score at the start of the season and knows that the aim is the qualify for the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Some people read way too much into teams lying down for other teams.

Fans might like it to go one way or another, but the players don't care if it Spurs or Leicester that wins the title.

Remember when Blackburn won the title... if Liverpool will beat a Kenny Dalglish's team on the final day of the season and risk giving Man Utd the title, Chelsea can play Spurs and Leicester without caring who wins what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The league is played over thirty-eight games. That's a lot of games. And if a team with designs on winning the title are in a position in the last day of the season where Spurs are - they would have every right to be worried about Chelsea not being too bothered.

Spurs themselves have played games recently with their opponents already on the beach. It works both ways.

Personally, I wouldn't blame Chelsea for rolling over. This bad season aside, they are a major player in the Premier League. If they are able to deny a perceived upstart from across town entering a crowded top tier in England, then they should do that. It's in their strategic interest.

keith16 wrote: »
    The league is played over thirty-eight games. That's a lot of games. And if a team with designs on winning the title are in a position in the last day of the season where Spurs are - they would have every right to be worried about Chelsea not being too bothered.

Spurs themselves have played games recently with their opponents already on the beach. It works both ways.

Personally, I wouldn't blame Chelsea for rolling over. This bad season aside, they are a major player in the Premier League. If they are able to deny a perceived upstart from across town entering a crowded top tier in England, then they should do that. It's in their strategic interest.

That's the problem though, it shouldn't be like that in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That's life, and it's going to happen in every league everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Manball from West Brom here. They've ground their way back into this. Fully deserve to be on terms.

Big 20 minutes for Spurs now. How much do they believe in themselves? Great match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fantastic attitude from West Brom after that calamitous goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ahh cross it, would have been job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We might not have to beat spurs after all. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Fair play WBA! 1-1! I didn't see that coming! Leicester 1 win from 3 is all that's needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

****ing hell Leicester are going to win the league.

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Delighted. Feck off, Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Love to see them win it at Old Trafford.

Leicester have one big problem right now.

The simple fact that Spurs are a better side than they are.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

7 points to make up in 3 games....really doesn't look good for Spurs.

WBA were very good tonight, Spurs just couldn't come up with anything to trouble them when it mattered most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Pretty much all over but hopefully not next weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Unearthly wrote: »
    ****ing hell Leicester are going to win the league.

Brilliant

Yeah WBA deserve a lot of credit for that second half performance! I'd wrote them off at 1-0 down at half time so sorry any WBA fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

wowzers.

I would have had Spurs nailed on, but WBA fought hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pulis and stopping potential champions, not his first time. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think they'll do it this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It also means that the Spurs superior goal difference is negated.
    A 2 game cushion with 3 to play should do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Johner wrote: »
    I think they'll do it this weekend.

Nah, United will beat them but they'll wrap it up the following weekend.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Pulis and stopping potential champions, not his first time. :o

Jayop wrote: »

I don't see United stopping them now, they will be buzzing for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Jayop wrote:

Good one! Pressure off now..Leicster will get a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Time to change the thread title to "When Leicester win the league..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Getting closer, hope they get there, they deserve it.

Spurs tonight were pathetic. Delighted for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Delighted, fair dinkum to wba, manball indeed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What a time to be alive

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Even if United beat Leicester, they will still be champions if Chelsea beat Tottenham. Big incentive now for Chelsea to put the nail in the coffin of Spurs and help out their old boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

It would appear that West Brom agree with you.

Honest to god, how can you question the integrity of champions over a 38 game program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Spurs were poor tonight. United playing well last few games could be sticky at Old Trafford next week is Vardy back or has he another game to serve ?

keith16 wrote: »
    It would appear that West Brom agree with you.

Honest to god, how can you question the integrity of champions over a 38 game program?

I personally think that a league followed by a playoff system is a better way to decide the championship.The majority of sports fans and administrators around the world happen to agree with me

I didn't question the integrity of Leicesters championship I just stated it wouldn't be great if they were to win because of a team lying down on the last day (which won't need to happen now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Karma just called.

Cg6qfYAWYAAMNdo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You just knew Spurs would bottle it at some point. Leicester on the other hand - fearless all season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Only a Speith-like meltdown can stop them now, awesome achievement.

• Advertisement

You just knew Spurs would bottle it at some point. Leicester on the other hand - fearless all season.

WDWWWWWDW

Money when it was required. Spurs too weak to win out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Delighted for Leicester. Fully deserved champions & seem to have a special team spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Well done to Leicester, well deserving champions.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I personally think that a league followed by a playoff system is a better way to decide the championship.The majority of sports fans and administrators around the world happen to agree with me

What makes you think that the majority of sports fans want a system like that? There's nothing wrong with the way the league is decided. Having play-offs makes the result artificial if anyone other than the team who are top wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It'll be a perfect way for Chelsea to finish off their shocking season by having to form a guard of honour for Leicester, AT the Bridge. Can't wait now. Massive congrats to Leicester, can't see it slipping from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Phew dilemma avoided.
    As a Man U fan I still hold out deluded hope that we can pinch 4th from one of the imploders above us.
    But I really wanted Leicester to win the league and would have been torn about who to support next game.
    Now I can hope for an unlikely United win without it jeopardizing Leicester's title aspirations

Zaph wrote: »
    What makes you think that the majority of sports fans want a system like that? There's nothing wrong with the way the league is decided. Having play-offs makes the result artificial if anyone other than the team who are top wins.

Because the majority of team sports around the world are decided like this and nobody complains about it.

All the major American sports,Rugby,Cricket (the limited overs competitions),Aussie Rules etc are decided in this way.

Even the 3 biggest Soccer competitions in the world are decided by knockout rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I didn't question the integrity of Leicesters championship I just stated it wouldn't be great if they were to win because of a team lying down on the last day (which won't need to happen now).

If there was a play-off system in place, the start of the season would be fairly timid stuff. The big boys tipping along, putting out the youngsters and not overly exerting themselves in the league, especially when the CL group stages are to be navigated. They'll only start caring after christmas and start taking it somewhat seriously then. Why bust a gut early in the season when you can saunter into 4th place towards the end while keeping your powder dry? They'll then have a couple of games to win the league having not given it their all for half the campaign. Doesn't seen right.

This is similar to the "on the beach" model, it's just been moved to a different part of the season.

Don't see why the most remarkable football achievement of my lifetime is being derailed by nonsense about turning the league into a Cup competition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement