Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sabat wrote: »
    I don't think the Tottenham fans would be able to handle it; I mean if they actually won a major trophy would Spurs still be Spurs? What would happen to their carefully constructed ideal of a football club in which winning things is beneath them-a tawdry act more in keeping with the traditions of Chelsea and Arsenal?

The Sinn Fein of the pl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The Sinn Fein of the pl :)

Spurs Sinn Fein???

Oy vey!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bar Arsenal and Chelsea fans dont get the Spurs hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

People have been saying that since Christmas.

Its a easy generic thing to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

By the way, Porto in 2004 shouldn't even be in the discussion.
    Portuguese teams regularly enough go far, and it was well known that this Porto team was much much better than what had gone before.
    Think they went the whole previous season unbeaten , including UEFA cup.

I'd be very surprised if you could have gotten more than maybe 20/1 at the start of that season, probably shorter.

Leicester were 5000/1 for feck sake

By the way, Porto in 2004 shouldn't even be in the discussion.
    Portuguese teams regularly enough go far, and it was well known that this Porto team was much much better than what had gone before.
    Think they went the whole previous season unbeaten , including UEFA cup.

I'd be very surprised if you could have gotten more than maybe 20/1 at the start of that season, probably shorter.

Leicester were 5000/1 for feck sake

Ah it still belongs in the conversation, Id agree its not as big as Leicester but it was still a massive shock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Me neither don't see what's to dislike. Have always played good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Nottingham Forest is the closest comparison.

I think they will do it as they have only lost three games all season.

8 to go and arguably 5 of those they'd be favourites to win which should be enough. They have Palace, Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham, Swansea.

If they win 4 of those five games and pick up two draws or a win from their last three of Man U, (away) Everton and Chelsea (away)
    They will be champions.

Five points is huge when you consider Tottenham still have to play Liverpool (away) Man Utd, Stoke (away) Chelsea (away) and Southampton, all teams capable of beating them or picking up a draw.

They also have Newcastle on the last day of the season who will be fighting for their lives to stay up and will be organised defensively under Benetiz.

Their character was tested this season when the beat Liverpool, then City, then narrowly lost to Arsenal with ten men.

The owner is loaded and doesnt need to sell. I'll be watching them with interest in the Champions League next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Derry City in 1989 winning all before them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Easter will define it, always does. If they get through the run of games over Easter with enough points to maintain the gap they are home & dry. Liverpool might have a big say v Spurs on April 2nd, Leicester have Chelsea as one of their last home games so hopefully they have it won beforehand.

We're all foxes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I've been to WHL a few times, security were very heavy handed with away fans. Got a fairly "hot" reception from the locals too.

Redknapp factor - can't stand him. That's the root of my distain for spurs.

Other than that, it's pure fear from a Liverpool fan perspective. They are were we want to be, sold well (Bale) & bought well and have a squad of brilliant attack minded young players. Good manager.

For me, apart the emergence of the English lads, signing Alderweireld was massive for them. Different team with him at the back.

Cant fault them from a footballing perspective but a few negative experiences at WHL, anti 'Arry sentiment and probably most importantly blind jealousy, i cant fault em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I want Leicester to win it, so I hope this is wrong

BUT

I can't escape the feeling that they will be screwed over by the referees.

Call me cynical....but I think the whole thing is as bent as feck and there may be a train of thought in head offices that having them win the league devalues the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure, because the marketing guys just hate those rare Cinderella stories, don't they...

The idea that PL chiefs will order their referees to cheat is just bollocks really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Laois_Man wrote: »

BUT

Call me cynical....but I think the whole thing is as bent as feck and there may be a train of thought in head offices that having them win the league devalues the league.

If anything I'd say the opposite might occur.

Most people love a story like this and referees are only human and I would imagine that subconsciously this might influence them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I want them to win it.

As a Man Utd fan.....

I Really want them to win it!!!

I just dont want them to get too cocky tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sure, because the marketing guys just hate those rare Cinderella stories, don't they...

The idea that PL chiefs will order their referees to cheat is just bollocks really.
    If anything after two decades of almost total predicability, the FA will be overjoyed with this.

It's also a great setup for next year's narrative.

The plucky underdog succeeds against all odds - so the big guns get serious for next season.

Conte, Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino, Wenger, and LVG's replacement (unless it's Giggs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're right. C'mon this isn't Serie A we're talking about here.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

The PL is pretty much WWE. Typical sheeple dancing to their tune. The Illuminati gotcha money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Laois_Man wrote: »

BUT

They've got......NO CHANCE, NO CHANCE IN HELL

• Advertisement

I've been to WHL a few times, security were very heavy handed with away fans. Got a fairly "hot" reception from the locals too.

Redknapp factor - can't stand him. That's the root of my distain for spurs.

Other than that, it's pure fear from a Liverpool fan perspective. They are were we want to be, sold well (Bale) & bought well and have a squad of brilliant attack minded young players. Good manager.

For me, apart the emergence of the English lads, signing Alderweireld was massive for them. Different team with him at the back.

Cant fault them from a footballing perspective but a few negative experiences at WHL, anti 'Arry sentiment and probably most importantly blind jealousy, i cant fault em.
    Its funny, you could say they didnt really spend the Bale money wisely at all.
    Paulinho, Christian Eriksen, Roberto Soldado, Nacer Chadli, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches and Erik Lamela
    The players in bold have all left and cost the guts of 60million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

If Leicester...

It'll be the first time the premier league hasn't been bought.

Eh Utd?...Class of 92??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

I hope they win it as well, they are struggling to score which is a bit worrying at the moment, but they are grinding out the results which is good, 4-5 wins should be enough with a few draws etc. it will be a big ask for spurts to 7-8 games or arsenal atm

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Eh Utd?...Class of 92??

Um.

They were initially blooded with bank busting British record transfers like Keane, Cole and Pallister.

By the end of the decade, they had added Stam (another record), Sheringham, Yorke etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Um.

They were initially blooded with bank busting British record transfers like Keane, Cole and Pallister.

By the end of the decade, they had added Stam (another record), Sheringham, Yorke etc.

That was down the road, The quote said the first time the title hasn't been bought. Utd made one notable signing that season Eric Cantona for 1.2 million and that was in November , He wasn't a world beater when bought either...

The rest of the squad was the same as the previous season except for the injection of youth Giggs , Beckham , Scholes , Butt etc...so I would consider that winning a title you didn't buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That was down the road, The quote said the first time the title hasn't been bought. Utd made one notable signing that season Eric Cantona for 1.2 million and that was in November , He wasn't a world beater when bought either...

The rest of the squad was the same as the previous season except for the injection of youth Giggs , Beckham , Scholes , Butt etc...so I would consider that winning a title you didn't buy.
    The class of '92 made a combined total of 1 league appearance that year, according to the stats here.

Of the players who made more than 10 league appearances that year, Clayton Blackmore, Mark Hughes, Darren Ferguson and Ryan Giggs came through the youth ranks. Also, Hughes had been gone and came back.

The rest of the squad was bought at one point or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye, Greece in the Euro's is a good shout. Possibly even Denmark too previously although they did have some really good players.

I think in international competitions Denmark has to be the one.
    They were on holiday, one of their best players the great Michael Laudrup couldn't be assed turning up. Kim Vilford's daughter was terminally ill in hospital and he flew home but rejoined squad on her insistence.
    Sadly she did pass away after tournament.

oh and they won it in real style.

In club football, and especially British football, Leicester is up there with Forest.
    But I still reckon Forest's achievements are top.

They finished third in old Division two to get promotion.
    They weren't even one of the top two.

And then Forest won the Division 1 league title and League Cup.
    Then won two back to back European cups.

Actually ironic piece of trivia Leicester were relegated year Forest first won league title.

Just to realise the magnitude of what Forest did,
    to match it ...
    Norwich would have to win the Premiership and Capital One League cup this year and the Champions League next year and the year after.

What Leicester probably should achieve will be the biggest shock in the Priemer Leagues history and is huge when you consider where they were last Christmas and their spending in comparison to all the other top clubs.
    They're not paying their players and they were all free transfers?

The Leicester team cost less than Raheem Sterling.
    The team cost a pittance in comparison to City, Chelsea, united, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, etc.

If you look at spending over last year they look like they did spend a lot (20million), but break it down over number of years and they are positively cheapskates.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It doesn't really matter what they cost or what they are paid. Every team buys the league if you are going to go down that road. Some are more shrewd than others with their spending. Some spend within their means using their own revenue. If Leicester had the fan base and gate receipts of United or Arsenal they would be spending in line with that too.

Clubs that have built their standing in the game over many decades to a level where they can compete financially for better players are being unfairly accused of buying the league.

The class of 1992 is used to refer to the ManU team that reached the FA Youth Trophy final that year and won the Prem title in 95-96.

That team had Roy Keane (British record transfer fee when signed), Andy Cole (British record transfer fee when signed) and Gary Pallister (British record transfer fee). Not sure why smashing the transfer record again and again in assembling a team is not considered buying the title?

If you are referring to the wins of 1993 and 1994 (and you seem to be, by claiming Cantona was "the only notable signing"), that squad was rammed with huge buys...Paul Parker, Steve Bruce, Paul Ince, Brian McClair, Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson, Andrei Kanchelskis etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Montpellier winning the French league deserves a mention, but if Leicester were to win the EPL it would go ahead of them.

Would probably be the biggest league win in modern footballing history.

There's no 'probably' about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jmayo wrote: »
    I think in international competitions Denmark has to be the one.
    They were on holiday, one of their best players the great Michael Laudrup couldn't be assed turning up. Kim Vilford's daughter was terminally ill in hospital and he flew home but rejoined squad on her insistence.
    Sadly she did pass away after tournament.

oh and they won it in real style.

In club football, and especially British football, Leicester is up there with Forest.
    But I still reckon Forest's achievements are top.

They finished third in old Division two to get promotion.
    They weren't even one of the top two.

And then Forest won the Division 1 league title and League Cup.
    Then won two back to back European cups.

Actually ironic piece of trivia Leicester were relegated year Forest first won league title.

Just to realise the magnitude of what Forest did,
    to match it ...
    Norwich would have to win the Premiership and Capital One League cup this year and the Champions League next year and the year after.

What Leicester probably should achieve will be the biggest shock in the Priemer Leagues history and is huge when you consider where they were last Christmas and their spending in comparison to all the other top clubs.

The Leicester team cost less than Raheem Sterling.
    The team cost a pittance in comparison to City, Chelsea, united, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, etc.

If you look at spending over last year they look like they did spend a lot (20million), but break it down over number of years and they are positively cheapskates.

But was the disparity in spending power between clubs as big when Forrest won it than it is now ?

As you say yourself Leicester team cost less than one player on another squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

m.bbc.com/sport/football/35795175

FC Rostov in Russia are making a good go of it, coming from a relegation play off last season, but Leicester winning would be a bigger achievement.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They should win it as long as they don't let it slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What Forest did was great - but in comparison to there rivals at the time they were a big team - with Peter Shilton , and they also had the most expensive player in Britain - Trevor Francis - along with one of the best manager in Europe .
    If Leicester win the league it would be a greater achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

If they do it, and I hope they do, it will be the greatest team achievement I'll have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kaisterslauten won the Bundesliga in '97-98 the year after being promoted.

Googling "greatest sports upsets of all time" though, really is a sobering and irritating reminder that Americans have no idea that other countries play sports too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The class of 1992 is used to refer to the ManU team that reached the FA Youth Trophy final that year and won the Prem title in 95-96.

That team had Roy Keane (British record transfer fee when signed), Andy Cole (British record transfer fee when signed) and Gary Pallister (British record transfer fee). Not sure why smashing the transfer record again and again in assembling a team is not considered buying the title?

If you are referring to the wins of 1993 and 1994 (and you seem to be, by claiming Cantona was "the only notable signing"), that squad was rammed with huge buys...Paul Parker, Steve Bruce, Paul Ince, Brian McClair, Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson, Andrei Kanchelskis etc. etc.
    Don't have the particulars since I heard it a good few years back, but from the late 80s to early 90s I believe a number of clubs outspent Man Utd, if I recall Everton were the highest spenders over the timeframe, and the first year Man Utd had the highest net spending from when Alex Ferguson took over was... 1998/99.

Would need to double check that though, because like I said it was a few years back that I heard/saw/read/whatever it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

thebaz wrote: »
    What Forest did was great - but in comparison to there rivals at the time they were a big team - with Peter Shilton , and they also had the most expensive player in Britain - Trevor Francis - along with one of the best manager in Europe .
    If Leicester win the league it would be a greater achievement.

So Forest bought the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Billy86 wrote: »
    Don't have the particulars since I heard it a good few years back, but from the late 80s to early 90s I believe a number of clubs outspent Man Utd, if I recall Everton were the highest spenders over the timeframe, and the first year Man Utd had the highest net spending from when Alex Ferguson took over was... 1998/99.

Would need to double check that though, because like I said it was a few years back that I heard/saw/read/whatever it.

United never bought the title, adding players to a mixture of homegrown players one or two players at a time doesn't mean you buy it, especially not when other teams at the time spent as much. Also, any money United ever spent was self generated which puts them in a whole other ballpark to Blackburn, Chelsea and City as sides who have bought the premier league.

• Advertisement

So Forest bought the league?

Going by Conor's logic. The probably "SMASHED" the transfer record [/TABLOIDSPEAK]

No team has ever 'bought' the league, in England anyway.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    No team has ever 'bought' the league, in England anyway.

Ah in fairness, Blackburn, City and Chelsea have all bought the league. They came from a low base after being bought by a rich owner who ploughed loads of his own money into buying the best players to replace pretty much all of the existing ones. That's a discussion for another thread though.

Ah in fairness, Blackburn, City and Chelsea have all bought the league. They came from a low base after being bought by a rich owner who ploughed loads of his own money into buying the best players to replace pretty much all of the existing ones. That's a discussion for another thread though.

Still doesn't mean they bought the league though, you can't buy teamwork, camaraderie etc..

If you buy referees to aide the quest for a championship, things that are external to the club, then the a league has been bought.

Still doesn't mean they bought the league though, you can't buy teamwork, camaraderie etc..

If you buy referees to aide the quest for a championship, things that are external to the club, then the a league has been bought.

It's semantics and a difference of opinion as to what the term "bought the league" means then. For me, buying the league is spending a huge amount of money that the club hasn't generated itself on a team full of players with no connection to the club other than a paycheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

In fairness show me a team where the players have a connection other than the pay check?

Those days are just gone I'm afraid and its going to get worse by the looks of it, some people want American style franchises where you couldn't even get relegated.

• Advertisement

It's semantics and a difference of opinion as to what the term "bought the league" means then. For me, buying the league is spending a huge amount of money that the club hasn't generated itself on a team full of players with no connection to the club other than a paycheck.

The club being taken over by a mogul still has to be an attractive proposition to its prospective owner, sure a league win after massive investment into players with no loyalty to the club might mean less to the local fan but the global market is ultimately what counts.

Semantics and all that though.

Boskowski wrote: »
    In fairness show me a team where the players have a connection other than the paycheck?

Most clubs fans would like to point to their home grown players, players from the local area, players who have been there for years and years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Most clubs fans would like to point to their home grown players, players from the local area, players who have been there for years and years.

And who would that be? The one token guy at best. Most players aren't even from the local country these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

:D

The billions their owners spent bought a lot of team work and camaraderie for Blackburn, Chelsea and City it also bought players who didn't even know they existed before they offered the kind of daft money Chinese clubs are spending now.

Look what happened Blackburn when the tap was turned off, the teamwork and camaraderie didn't seem so effective anymore. The same will happen to Chelsea and City.

Boskowski wrote: »
    And who would that be? The one token guy at best.

Depends on the club. At the moment there's none in the top bracket who have a lot of their first team in that category. Down through the premier league United had the most success with local and home grown players. Hopefully the kids they've been playing lately will progress to being first choices and you'll have that connection with them. Maybe losing that connection to the club is something that could be a reason why United are struggling. Similarly Chelsea having lost Lampard (bought but connected to club) and Terry losing his power could be a major reason for their downfall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement