Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

Excellent stuff. Greatest sporting achievement I can think off. In my lifetime anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Because the majority of team sports around the world are decided like this and nobody complains about it.

All the major American sports,Rugby,Cricket (the limited overs competitions),Aussie Rules etc are decided in this way.

Even the 3 biggest Soccer competitions in the world are decided by knockout rounds.

You seem to be the only one complaining about the Premiership being a proper league format.

Because the majority of team sports around the world are decided like this and nobody complains about it.

All the major American sports,Rugby,Cricket (the limited overs competitions),Aussie Rules etc are decided in this way.

Even the 3 biggest Soccer competitions in the world are decided by knockout rounds.

Terrible suggestion tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Come on leicester ye can do it now, you got to love ranieri, an absolute gent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

josip wrote: »
    You seem to be the only one complaining about the Premiership being a proper league format.

I'm not complaining , just putting forward a point of view.I just suggested it would be better and would avoid a scenario of a team like Chelsea potentially lying down (which Eden Hazard indirectly hinted at although he may not have been serious) which thankfully won't matter now as Leicester will have the league wrapped up by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SantryRed wrote: »
    It'll be a perfect way for Chelsea to finish off their shocking season by having to form a guard of honour for Leicester, AT the Bridge. Can't wait now. Massive congrats to Leicester, can't see it slipping from here.
    I wish Mourinho was still Chelsea manager giving Ranieri & Leicester a guard of honour.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Terrible suggestion tbh

But it isn't as pretty much every other major sport decides it's champions that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

But it isn't as pretty much every other major sport decides it's champions that way.

Start a thread and talk about it there so.

Jayop wrote: »
    Start a thread and talk about it there so.

I couldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

fyfe79 wrote: »
    If there was a play-off system in place, the start of the season would be fairly timid stuff. The big boys tipping along, putting out the youngsters and not overly exerting themselves in the league, especially when the CL group stages are to be navigated. They'll only start caring after christmas and start taking it somewhat seriously then. Why bust a gut early in the season when you can saunter into 4th place towards the end while keeping your powder dry? They'll then have a couple of games to win the league having not given it their all for half the campaign. Doesn't seen right.

This is similar to the "on the beach" model, it's just been moved to a different part of the season.
    Look at the arse of a competition the PRO 12 annd English Rugby Premiership is. Top teams as you describe putting out shadow teams at times doing just enough to finish in the top 6 or whatever is needed to get to the knock-out stages, resting players for end of season stages etc. Might suit the likes of Rupert Murdock and Co but not for me.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't see why the most remarkable football achievement of my lifetime is being derailed by nonsense about turning the league into a Cup competition.

How is it being derailed.

This is a small forum in a small country with no influence and unlikely to be paid much notice by anyone involved with Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Sorry, not to nit-pick but I complain about it, as do a fair few of my mates. I hate almost any any league structure that's replaced with a knock-out at the end of the season.

It's fine in something like NFL or MLB where the league is split into conferences etc., and not everyone plays everyone. But in sports with 'proper' (for want of a better word) league structure, where all the teams play each other a certain amount of times, it dilutes the achievement of getting the most points at the end of the league if you're then not crowned Champions because you had one bad day in the 'grand-final'.

All my opinion of course, but I don't think you can say 'nobody complains about it'.

J.

P.S. Am absolutely delighted for Leicester, a mate of mine has been a fan of theirs for decades, he's in dream land! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

6bYyk.gif

I would have thought you'd be all over a Leicester win. Small team coming out of the pack.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93025841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Have to laugh at dirty dingus and his playoffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Pretty much all over but hopefully not next weekend!

Unless of course Chelsea beat Spurs :D

I would have thought you'd be all over a Leicester win. Small team coming out of the pack.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93025841

It's great for them a great achievement and fair play to them I can't help feeling that this is a total freak year and will lead to nothing permanent in improving the competition at the top of the league.Spurs or Arsenal on the other hand winning would have added another genuine contender going forward and made the league more exciting overall.I'm all for a continuous competitiveness in sports not a freak year once every 25 years.

As the season went on I actually wanted Spurs to win as I think they have a number of genuine top class players and they will never get this chance again as that team will no doubt be broken up.Spurs are not exactly big boys they haven't won the league since 1961 and more than likely won't be winning for a while now.Of course the media seem to have forgotten that.

I would have liked Arsenal to win aswell I'd always like their teams from the early late 90's and 00's and wanted Wenger to resign with some dignity (like he should have done after they won the FA cup last season).

Seve OB wrote: »
    Have to laugh at dirty dingus and his playoffs!

Yeah it's such a mad idea that you'd never even think a league would introduce them except of course the 2 tier downwards in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As much as some will say it's been a weak league this year (which I don't necessarily believe, due to the amount of money available to all teams now in order to compete) Leicester have closed this League out like champions.

They hammered a 'disinterested' team with nothing to play for yesterday, while Spurs drew a game they needed to win against a 'disinterested' team with nothing to play for.

When the pressure has been on, Leicester have delivered. I don't remember the last time the gap was less than 5 points.

Utterly deserved.

Do I think they'll kick on next season? No. Champions League will kill them.

But if I was a fan, I wouldn't give a fúck. Next season can take care of itself. They can call themselves something only 5 other teams can. Premier League Champions.

Astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yeah it's such a mad idea that you'd never even think a league would introduce them except of course the 2 tier downwards in england.

Not for the winners though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

It's great for them a great achievement and fair play to them I can't help feeling that this is a total freak year and will lead to nothing permanent in improving the competition at the top of the league.Spurs or Arsenal on the other hand winning would have added another genuine contender going forward and made the league more exciting overall.I'm all for a continuous competitiveness in sports not a freak year once every 25 years.

As the season went on I actually wanted Spurs to win as I think they have a number of genuine top class players and they will never get this chance again as that team will no doubt be broken up.Spurs are not exactly big boys they haven't won the league since 1961 and more than likely won't be winning for a while now.Of course the media seem to have forgotten that.

I would have liked Arsenal to win aswell I'd always like their teams from the early late 90's and 00's and wanted Wenger to resign with some dignity (like he should have done after they won the FA cup last season).

I have to admire your commitment to pure contrarian nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Vardy has got an extra game ban and been fined £10,000. Out of the Utd game. Just on SS 1 now.

Jayop wrote: »
    Not for the winners though.

It effectively is though.Winning the Championship,League 1,League 2 is not the aim for those team.Winning promotion is the aim in those leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Agree with SlickRic. So many people saying "what about next year when they've CL to worry about?". I doubt anyone associated with Leicester cares about next season. This season they will be League Champions. That is an amazing feat.

Are they not allowed to revel in it for at least 5 minutes before being made to worry about next season?

I have to admire your commitment to pure contrarian nonsense

Life would be very boring if everyone liked the same things and agreed with each other.

The vast majority of the world think The Hurt Locker and There Will be Blood are great films ,I think the 2 of them are complete scutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How is it being derailed.

This is a small forum in a small country with no influence and unlikely to be paid much notice by anyone involved with Leicester.

It's clear you are disappointed with the outcome and looking to move the conversation away from the awesome achievement of Leicester winning the league. Let it go. Talking about how the league should have playoffs is irrelevant to this season - the season of all seasons.

• fyfe79 wrote: »
    Agree with SlickRic. So many people saying "what about next year when they've CL to worry about?". I doubt anyone associated with Leicester cares about next season. This season they will be League Champions. That is an amazing feat.

Are they not allowed to revel in it for at least 5 minutes before being made to worry about next season?
    Well the fans dreamed big at Xmas no?
    Why couldn't they do the same next season?
    I really don't think it's as black and white as " oh they are ****ed next season because of CL"

Let the summer dictate if they can streghthen the squad or not.

I'm sure there will be new sponsorship deals and a pile more revenue incoming.

I personally think that a league followed by a playoff system is a better way to decide the championship.The majority of sports fans and administrators around the world happen to agree with me

I didn't question the integrity of Leicesters championship I just stated it wouldn't be great if they were to win because of a team lying down on the last day (which won't need to happen now).

When has a team EVER laid down for another team in the Premier League in order for another team to win the title? Go on.

What utter bolloxology to even suggest such nonsense.

SlickRic wrote: »
    When has a team EVER laid down for another team in the Premier League in order for another team to win the title? Go on.

What utter bolloxology to even suggest such nonsense.

Did you hear Hazards comments?

He may not have been serious but it was a fairly bad thing to say for a player on a team with 2 influential games coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Liverpool weren't going to lie down for Blackburn in 1995, it's never going to happen.

• Advertisement

Would be great if there's winning bonuses as boiler-plate for footballer's contracts and the lads get unexpected windfalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well the fans dreamed big at Xmas no?
    Why couldn't they do the same next season?
    I really don't think it's as black and white as " oh they are ****ed next season because of CL"

Let the summer dictate if they can streghthen the squad or not.

I'm sure there will be new sponsorship deals and a pile more revenue incoming.

I agree. It just seems these days that teams aren't allowed to enjoy the prize anymore. Talk seems to turn immediately to the next comp (even if they're likely to do well in it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Life would be very boring if everyone liked the same things and agreed with each other.

The vast majority of the world think The Hurt Locker and There Will be Blood are great films ,I think the 2 of them are complete scutter.

Would you say you are an independent thinker who doesn't care for the mainstream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

amazing achievement by leicester , to be even in contention at April, to show little nerves at the run in , amazing - can see them getting a point at old Trafford, can't see Spurs beating Chelsea - greatest sporting achievement I have witnessed in my long sporting life - bar none.

Did you hear Hazards comments?

He may not have been serious but it was a fairly bad thing to say for a player on a team with 2 influential games coming up.

True, it wasn't great, but still, no team has ever laid down.

Liverpool did everything they could to put the title on a plate for Utd, at the expense of their favourite son, Kenny Dalglish's Blackburn Rovers.

When it comes down to it, players like winning football matches.

Would you say you are an independent thinker who doesn't care for the mainstream?

Absoulutely.

I'm just like AIG except I don't have his gift for flowery language and throwing words in Catalan into my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well, at the end of the season they also like not being injured for Euro2016 (or their holidays). Whether subconsciously or not, teams tend to take their foot off the pedal when they have nothing much to play for - fair play to West Brom tonight for keeping going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As much as some will say it's been a weak league this year (which I don't necessarily believe, due to the amount of money available to all teams now in order to compete) Leicester have closed this League out like champions.

They hammered a 'disinterested' team with nothing to play for yesterday, while Spurs drew a game they needed to win again a 'disinterested' team with nothing to play for.

When the pressure has been on, Leicester have delivered. I don't remember the last time the gap was less than 5 points.

Utterly deserved.

Do I think they'll kick on next season? No. Champions League will kill them.

But if I was a fan, I wouldn't give a fúck. Next season can take care of itself. They can call themselves something only 5 other teams can. Premier League Champions.

Astounding.

The last time the gap was less than 5 was on Valentine's Day, 14/02.

The gap was down to 2.

Leicester had just conceded a late late winner to title rivals Arsenal.

That was the day that you would not blame anyone for thinking it was all going to unravel for Leicester.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Well, at the end of the season they also like not being injured for Euro2016 (or their holidays). Whether subconsciously or not, teams tend to take their foot off the pedal when they have nothing much to play for - fair play to West Brom tonight for keeping going.

That's utterly different to 'laying down' for another team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Another fantastic weekend for the ultimate under-dogs. Ranieri and the lads have simplified the game itself and have stuffed all accepted wisdom about EPL winners having to build a squad of expensive recruits over a number of years and play certain formations, yadda yadda boll1xology.

Hard work, simple tactics and a great team bond have won it, who in the wide world of sport would have predicted that?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nobody deserves this more than Ranieri, such a class act all season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The last time the gap was less than 5 was on Valentine's Day, 14/02.

The gap was down to 2.

Leicester had just conceded a late late winner to title rivals Arsenal.

That was the day that you would not blame anyone for thinking it was all going to unravel for Leicester.

Was sorely tempted to cash out my wager on them at the time. But then I thought "feck it, they've given me great entertainment so far, let it ride, be grand" .. Definitely the most football fun I've had from EPL barring 2013/14 season, and looks like it will end without tears too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nobody deserves this more than Ranieri, such a class act all season.

He really is one of the most likeable managers in the game, goes about his business, no shyte out of him, even after he got the door from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

True, it wasn't great, but still, no team has ever laid down.

Liverpool did everything they could to put the title on a plate for Utd, at the expense of their favourite son, Kenny Dalglish's Blackburn Rovers.

Exactly, and when it comes right down to it, when the ball is there to be won, you go for it. When the chance to shoot is open, you shoot.

If anything, Chelsea have actually talked their way into needing to make sure they visibly show up against both teams, as even a legitimate sub-par performance against Leicester would be very suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

You only need look at belgiums national league to see how stupid an idea play offs are, whoever signed off on that league set up should be shot.

Seriously, google it. Its crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It wont matter a bo**ocks about what team Chelsea put out on the last day of the season at this rate, Leicester will be champions by then and in full on party mode and wont care themselves either.

Chelsea have Spurs up first and the plan was to stop Spurs before ever having to consider "rolling over".

That doesnt have to happen now because Spurs are done and dusted and Leicester are champions elect and its been a brilliant journey.

Also the suggestion to break up the top 4/6 into playoff is comical. Whoevers top after the 38 games are deserving champions without having to face a team who finished some dozen points behind them and losing to them in a playoff.

Congrats Leicester and more so Ranieri, a true gent of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Terrible suggestion tbh

With the comically obvious exception of every important football league on the planet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It wont matter a bo**ocks about what team Chelsea put out on the last day of the season at this rate, Leicester will be champions by then and in full on party mode and wont care themselves either.

Chelsea have Spurs up first and the plan was to stop Spurs before ever having to consider "rolling over".

That doesnt have to happen now because Spurs are done and dusted and Leicester are champions elect and its been a brilliant journey.

Also the suggestion to break up the top 4/6 into playoff is comical. Whoevers top after the 38 games are deserving champions without having to face a team who finished some dozen points behind them and losing to them in a playoff.

Congrats Leicester and more so Ranieri, a true gent of the game.

I'm sure it would still be a satisfying end to a disappointing season for Chelsea fans to be responsible for that final blow though.

With the comically obvious exception of every important football league on the planet....

But I said Every Other Major Sport.

So your post was completely pointless as I already recognised what you have said within the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Truly amazing achievement. To go from scraping survival to cruising to the title...

If someone said they'd done it in football manager you'd think they'd cheated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement