Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Leicester beat Utd, they wont have to rely on any other results.

Thats my lock of the week.

simpsons-lock-of-the-week.jpg

*leicester lose their last 3 games while spurs win theirs and the title*

What can I say folks, when you're right 52% of the time you're wrong 48% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    When you consider that he was ridiculed by the English media when he was at Chelsea. You now see the same outlets fawning over him.

The same guys who ridiculed him last summer. Tbf I was too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Benimar wrote: »
    The trophy won't be presented on Sunday. Its usually done on the last day, but given that Leicester are away, it might be done at the Everton game.

YES !!! Premier League trophy coming back to the Bridge !!!

YEAH BABY !!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

That quote with Mourinho saying Ranieri is nearly 70 is definitely true. Remember hearing it at the time and to be honest I found it funny, very ignorant obviously but I laughed. Ranieri does seem like a gentleman though and I'm delighted for him that he has been the man to acheive probably the greatest shock in the history of football. Well it's almost achieved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ami right thinking that if spurs lose a game the title is leicesters ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

cjmc wrote: »
    Ami right thinking that if spurs lose a game the title is leicesters ?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I think even if Spurs draw, its Leicesters ...
    or maybe they could get it on GD ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Leicester just need three points from three games to guarantee the title, whereas Spurs need to win EVERY game.

Personally, I see Leicester getting at least six (Everton and Chelsea are already on their holliers, I really don't know how the Man U game will go).

I just don't see Spurs winning all three. The game against Chelsea will be Chelsea's cup final (for the fans at least, the players might not be too bothered, though Fab and Hazard seem up for it) and Spurs have a poor record at the Bridge going back to the early 90s. Home to Southampton isn't going to be easy, especially if they can still bag a European place and away to Newcastle, transformed under Rafa and possibly still fighting for survival, will be tough. I doubt they'll get nine, seven is more likely.

Before the West Brom game, Spurs had the momentum but now I think it's back with Leicester. It's entirely in their hands and I just can't see them not winning at least one of those final three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Leicester's defence has been rock solid. I can't see Man U getting any more than 1 goal but I am predicting a Leicester win. It is the toughest fixture of the last three by a long way. That said if they go into the last game of the season needing points then all bets are off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Jayop wrote: »
    The same guys who ridiculed him last summer. Tbf I was too.
    Fair pay. I think most of us thought he was a bit contrary. I remember back in the glory days of Serie A when he was at Fiorentina. He always substituted Rui Costa. Who was seriously pssd off with it.
    Looking back on it now Costa probably didn't have the legs for the 90 mins and was not suited to Ranieris 2 man centre midfield.
    His best teams seem to need a midfield partnership who are all rounders and can cover the pitch for 90 mins.
    Drinkwater - Kante
    Farinos - Mendieta
    Two great partnerships. Not necessarily great players....although Mendieta is a favourite of mine. And Kante is fast becoming another. Just shows what can be achieved with teamwork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A draw and 2 wins would be good enough for Spurs if Leicester were to lose all 3 remaining games, unlikely but still possible.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A draw and 2 wins would be good enough for Spurs if Leicester were to lose all 3 remaining games, unlikely but still possible.

No mate. They play Everton. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Leicester just need three points from three games to guarantee the title, whereas Spurs need to win EVERY game.

just to be technical. Spurs don't have to win every game. if Leicester loose all three, then 2 wins and a draw would be enough for Spurs to draw level on points and go top on GD.

having said that...... unlikely

In a nuthsell:

3 points guarantees it for Leicester no matter what.
    1 point guarantees it if Tottenham don't win all three games.
    Leicester are champions if Tottenham lose any of their last three games irrespective of what Leicester do.

When you see it written down like that, it's all over. Especially considering Spurs have Chelsea and Newcastle away. Can't see them winning both of those.

With regards to Ranieri's rep, I loved him when he was at Chelsea. In the pre-Abramovich days, he built on what Vialli did and made us a more consistent side. We played good attacking football and he was a loveable character, I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about him.

There is the story of how Trevor Birch went into the dressing room before the final game of the season against Liverpool in 2003, saying bascially we'd be screwed financially if the club didn't make the CL (that season we spent a whopping 500k on transfers after 32m the year before). Chelsea being a CL club in 2003-04 is said to be one of the reasons why Abramovich chose to invest in Chelsea over Spurs. Had it not been for either of those two things happening (one, if not both, thanks to Ranieri), Chelsea would not be what they are today.

He signed players like Gallas, Lampard, Joe Cole and Makelele and had been involved somewhat in the deals for Drogba, Cech and Robben.

Where it went wrong for Ranieri at Chelsea was the money. All of a sudden he had a blank cheque book and signed dozens of players, spending over 120m that season. 15m on Veron, nearly 16m on Mutu, being the two biggest flops. However, I think he hadn't really thought about where he was going to fit them all into the side. That season, Chelsea were challenging for the title and the CL but ended up fluffing both. We got nine points from our final 21. We'd been top at Christmas, iirc. Even then, had it not been for the Invincibles, we would've been a lot closer to winning the title. In the end, we were 11 points off.

In the CL, we went out to Monaco and I can still remember how frustrating that was because they were there for the taken and he made some bizarre changes over both legs which definitely affected the outcome of the game.

Which brings me to the reason why he got his nickname, the Tinkerman. He did a lot of squad rotation and this definitely affected performances and results, whereas previously he had a much smaller squad to work with. He used to get slagged to **** about it, I can still remember looking through a rag on the day of the CL semi second leg against Monaco and they had printed out a "Guess Ranieri's tactic" dice, which had stuff like throw Gallas up front, buy Morientes at half-time. Ultimately, this was his downfall.

Personally, I don't think it was entirely fair to sack him (just like it wasn't fair to sack Ancelotti) but when Mourinho came in and made the side more efficient, Ranieri was quickly forgotten. I think now when Chelsea fans look back and compare him to some of the managers since, especially the likes of Grant and Scolari, he's one of the best we've ever had but that last season was what cost him. Plenty people seem to think that buying up all the players and being able to splash the cash is enough to be successful but the manager is important too, just like at Chelsea, City and Madrid. If money really was all that matters, then they'd constantly win everything, surely? The ironic part of that is that now Ranieri seems to be a title-winning manager, but doing it without the money.

Look at what he's doing at Leicester this season: he's spending less money and working with a smaller squad with far less rotation, a similar situation to the 2002-03 season, which I'd argue was his best at Chelsea in terms of achievements in relation to resources. This is not the Ranieri that was managing Chelsea in his last season, it's closer to the Ranieri in the pre-Abramovich era. Thankfully, Ranieri's rebuilt his reputation with Parma, Juve, Roma, Inter and Monaco.

If Mourinho has a go at him, it's because Mourinho is a dick, no surprises there. I'm still a big fan of Mourinho but just because you like one, doesn't mean you can't like the other. And just because Mourinho thinks one thing about Ranieri, doesn't mean all Chelsea fans are going to agree with him completely. I have always wished Ranieri the best and always will and will be delighted when he lifts the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

What's the record for least loses in a season?

laugh wrote: »

Arsenal with 0

Arsenal 2003-04 - 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

laugh wrote: »

Arsenals invincibles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I really hope they get to win it on the pitch and not sitting on their arses watching Spurs lose a game. It'll make it all that more special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Billy86 wrote: »

Top 8 would just be silly - Swansea or Southampton would have been in a position to win it last year in that set up, and as utterly amazing as this Leicester run has been, I don't think the reception would be the same for a smaller team to win it in a way such as that. A lot of neutrals would be delighted for them of course, but it wouldn't have that same feeling as been so thoroughly earned as Leicester's 'battle hard for every single point' run has been.

When I said top 8 I meant that potentially 8 teams could be in genuine contention for most of the season if you had 4 team playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd like to see them win it against Everton, just so they lift it in front of their home fans. It always seems a shame to see the trophy lifted at an away stadium.

A shame lol two of my favourite and most sweet title wins were the ones we won at white hart lane and Old Trafford. Nothing will top those two Arsenal fan here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Even if they lose to United, Everton and Chelsea have nothing to play for so surely there will be a lack of effort shown from at least one

A loss and two draws and Spurs winning all 3 just seems really impossible to me now, I'm surprised Spurs are best price 14/1 I thought it would be longer

SantryRed wrote: »
    I really hope they get to win it on the pitch and not sitting on their arses watching Spurs lose a game. It'll make it all that more special.

Thats why I reckon they'll beat Utd. The incintive to have it in their hands and not be wathcing on a Monday night incase Spurs drop points.

Should win against Everton you'd imagine. Leicester are everything Everton are not this season: motivated, focused, well organised and have a fantastic team spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

in all the talk of Leicester winning the league, I'd forgotten the fact that they are already qualified for next Season's Champions League.

what a season for them to look forward to whatever happens in the next week or 2.

A shame lol two of my favourite and most sweet title wins were the ones we won at white hart lane and Old Trafford. Nothing will top those two Arsenal fan here

Ya that would be sweet for you when you're watching it at home on telly. The fans that actually go to the games would obviously prefer to win it at home where more of them would be there to see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ya that would be sweet for you when you're watching it at home on telly. The fans that actually go to the games would obviously prefer to win it at home where more of them would be there to see it.

Dunno. I am sure lots of Arsenal fans took great pleasure winning it in White Hart Lane.
    Who are Leicesters big rivals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Derby? Forest? Coventry? - they're the nearest big clubs.

• Advertisement

Dele Alli banned for the rest of the season. That'll affect Spurs in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Dunno. I am sure lots of Arsenal fans took great pleasure winning it in White Hart Lane.

Nottingham Forest I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fly into East Midlands airport they're pretty much on the walls :D

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Nottingham Forest I believe.

Thought Forest's rivals would be Notts County but I suppose they rarely get to play each other as they are usually in different divisions.

Seems to be a region that produces the huge upset ala Notts Forest European Cup Winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thought Forest's rivals would be Notts County but I suppose they rarely get to play each other as they are usually in different divisions.

Seems to be a region that produces the huge upset ala Notts Forest European Cup Winners

Derby County would be another rival around that area.

Forest, Derby and Leeds would have a big enough rivalry, the whole big in the 70s and Clough crossover thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Just googled it, what a mess. The most ridiculous is the 5 (five) game playoff between the bottom 2, with second from bottom starting with 3 points.

In the Scottish Championship 3rd plays 4th over 2 legs, the winner then plays 2nd over 2 legs, the winner then plays second from bottom in the Premiership over 2 legs. Hibs could face 6 games and a Cup final in 3 weeks or so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ha brill Ranieri, shook everyones hand in the press conference room as he didn't do it last week and Vardy fot sent off, about 70 people in the room :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

It must Arsenal more than anyone Leicester winning it, given the quality and finances at their disposal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ipswich won the old Div 2 in 1961 and then were League champions the following year, that's probably the closest comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

kevthegaff wrote: »
    It must Arsenal more than anyone Leicester winning it, given the quality and finances at their disposal

Reckon the 2nd placed team will be most p1ssed off tbh. Arsenal are well used to under-performing at this point anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just saw this video again, even Leicester :)

Thread title will be changed very shortly I reckon.

Hopefully after their visit to Old Trafford. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ipswich won the old Div 2 in 1961 and then were League champions the following year, that's probably the closest comparison.

Forest:
    77 - Promoted from D2
    78 - D1 Champions
    79 - European Cup
    80 - European Cup

Different times though, there wasn't such a huge gap between the top teams and the rest of the league. I doubt Forest were 5000/1 to win the league in 77-78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

loyatemu wrote: »
    Forest:
    77 - Promoted from D2
    78 - D1 Champions
    79 - European Cup
    80 - European Cup

Different times though, there wasn't such a huge gap between the top teams and the rest of the league. I doubt Forest were 5000/1 to win the league in 77-78
    Wow , thats some couple of year :0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wow I hadn't known Forest were only promoted in 77, that's pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ipswich won a UEFA cup and nearly won the league around that time too, Villa the European Cup and Liverpool dominated Europe of course, 4 European trophies in 6 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

K-9 wrote: »
    Ipswich won a UEFA cup and nearly won the league around that time too, Villa the European Cup and Liverpool dominated Europe of course, 4 European trophies in 6 years.

Yet for all that domination, the England Team were atrocious during that period in the 1970's early 1980's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hard to believe that this weekend, Leicester could become only the 6th team in the history of the Premier League/Ship to win the thing!

COME ON THE FOXES (and chelsea)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If United fans thought everybody was ABU before, this weekend they definitely are :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

If United fans thought everybody was ABU before, this weekend they definitely are :pac:

It'll be close to Spurs and Man Utd fans against the rest of the World!

• Advertisement
Advertisement