Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

100% true whether people want to admit it or not.

Someone brought up Ranieri visiting his mother as evidence of what a great fella he is whereas myself (and I suspect 99% of the worlds population) wouldn't consider visiting you mother to be that big a deal.

You seem to be purposely leaving out the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

adox wrote: »
    You seem to be purposely leaving out the context.

I understand the context I just don't see the big deal with him going about his life as normal.

It's basic good management to continue as normal until it's done and dusted not some ingenious plan in my opinion.

I'd imagine most managers would try and do the same.

I'm pretty sure he won't be oblivious to what going on tomorrow night anyway so whats the difference between him staying at home to watch it and going to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I understand the context I just don't see the big deal with him going about his life as normal.

Do you not see the big deal in Leicester winning the league over the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, United ??

Or is it just a normal everyday thing to you - Sport can be wonderful - this is a wonderful story - pity you can't just enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's basic good management to continue as normal until it's done and dusted not some ingenious plan in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure he won't be oblivious to what going on tomorrow night anyway so whats the difference between him staying at home to watch it and going to Italy.

Begrudgeriest post i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Possiblility of doping.
    Playoffs.
    Only winning it because others are poor.
    Ranieri visiting his mother.

Love it.

100% true whether people want to admit it or not.

Someone brought up Ranieri visiting his mother as evidence of what a great fella he is whereas myself (and I suspect 99% of the worlds population) wouldn't consider visiting you mother to be that big a deal.

That's cos most boardsies still live with their mothers!

Having a microwave in your room and calling it a. Maisonette doesn't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

We get it. You're too cool to buy into the fairytale of the greatest shock in the history of sport.

Love Ranieri, love Leicester, worthy champions

mansize wrote: »
    That's cos most boardsies still live with their mothers!

Having a microwave in your room and calling it a. Maisonette doesn't count!

I don't even have a microwave in my own room.That would represent real personal growth for me but I just don't think I;d be able to cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

In the Irish Times today Ken Early's article is called "Leicester's Statistics just do not add up".

Near the end he mentions that Leicester's squad "includes some of the thinnest and most injury-resistant men in the league".

Wonder what he means by that?

marbless wrote: »
    In the Irish Times today Ken Early's article is called "Leicester's Statistics just do not add up".

Near the end he mentions that Leicester's squad "includes some of the thinnest and most injury-resistant men in the league".

I haven't read the article but regarding the stats, is he alluding to the fact that they have the 3rd worst possession stats in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

sabat wrote: »
    I remember reading before that Ranieri's mother's favourite player was Damien Duff and whenever he left him out she was on the phone complaining.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duffs-freak-injury-ko-26238168.html

"Damien is Damien and we will miss him," acknowledged Claudio Ranieri after yesterday's 1-0 victory. "When I don't put him in the squad, my 84 year-old mother rings me and asks, 'Why? Why?'"

Mrs Renata Ranieri knows her football and her son's side will have to cope without the Irish international for at least three weeks after he fell awkwardly shooting at goal in the fifth minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

leakyboots wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duffs-freak-injury-ko-26238168.html

"Damien is Damien and we will miss him," acknowledged Claudio Ranieri after yesterday's 1-0 victory. "When I don't put him in the squad, my 84 year-old mother rings me and asks, 'Why? Why?'"

Mrs Renata Ranieri knows her football and her son's side will have to cope without the Irish international for at least three weeks after he fell awkwardly shooting at goal in the fifth minute.

Found another few quotes

http://www.balls.ie/football/claudio-ranieri-story-that-shows-just-how-great-damien-duff-was-at-his-peak/320027

"My only technical adviser is my mother. When I told her that Damien had injured his shoulder again, she said 'Oh no! Who should replace him?' I will call her before the game to ask.

Damien is Damien. When I don't put him in the squad my mother, who's 84, asks 'why isn't Damien playing?' She kills me about it and that's true."

"My mother says he is like Nedved."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sorry but that is a very disengenious post

The context of the quote
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-leicester-city-s-statistics-just-do-not-add-up-1.2631612
    You wonder how Thomas Tuchel, the brilliant ascetic who coaches Borussia Dortmund, feels when he reads about Ranieri’s pizza reward scheme. Tuchel banned pizza from his players’ diets at the start of the season, in the belief that eating refined carbs was bad for their fitness. Is Tuchel now doubting everything he thought he knew as Leicester’s pizza-fuelled squad, which includes some of the thinnest and most injury-resistant men in the league, marches on to glory?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Four weeks ago Ken Early wrote these lines in the Irish Times:

Over the weekend, the Sunday Times reported that a doctor who prescribed performance-enhancing drugs for athletes claimed to have worked with footballers from clubs including Leicester City.

On Sunday afternoon, Leicester beat Southampton to go seven points clear at the top of the Premier League. On the same day last year, Leicester were seven points adrift of safety at the bottom of the table. In that calendar year, Leicester have taken 91 league points – 18 more than the next best teams, Arsenal and Tottenham.

In most other sports, such an improvement would lead to dark mutterings and sceptical questions, if not open derision. In the post-Armstrong world, no evidence is even necessary – the improvement alone is enough to trigger the rumours.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-soccer-just-doesn-t-want-to-know-about-doping-1.2597155

What Leicester have been doing has been done consistently over the last few years. Where teams are knocking off others that were fannying about with the ball too much and holding onto the ball for the sake of it.

Jupp Heynkes Bayern destroyed Barcelona 7-0 on Agg with 40% possession
    Real Madrid beat Guardiola's Bayern 5-0 on agg with 37% possession
    Holland beat Spain 5-1 with 37% possession.
    The English teams have been struggling in the Champions League over the last couple of years with big possession stats but are unable to deal with teams that attack them directly. Watch any team in the CL where an English team struggles and you will see they are playing football like Leicester.

These teams playing Guardiolaball have been found out. The Guardiolaball teams spread out their defence to be able to ping the ball across the back 4 ad-nauseum. When they lose the ball, the other team attack them directly leaving the 2 CBs exposed. There is no holding up the play to allow the midfield to get back either, which kills the move.

A big problem with English football over the last few years is that has become too slow. Even on a counter attack, players are more interested in keeping possession as opposed to making a pass that may lose the ball. That allows the midfield to get back to defend the back 4.

Leicester are the opposite to that. When they counter attack, they do not allow the move to slow down or go sideways. It's direct, fast and they do not allow the oppositions midfield get back. They dont give a **** about losing the ball because creating chances is more important than holding onto the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What Leicester have been doing has been done consistently over the last few years. Where teams are knocking off others that were fannying about with the ball too much and holding onto the ball for the sake of it.

Jupp Heynkes Bayern destroyed Barcelona 7-0 on Agg with 40% possession
    Real Madrid beat Guardiola's Bayern 5-0 on agg with 37% possession
    Holland beat Spain 5-1 with 37% possession.
    The English teams have been struggling in the Champions League over the last couple of years with big possession stats but are unable to deal with teams that attack them directly. Watch any team in the CL where an English team struggles and you will see they are playing football like Leicester.

These teams playing Guardiolaball have been found out. The Guardiolaball teams spread out their defence to be able to ping the ball across the back 4 ad-nauseum. When they lose the ball, the other team attack them directly leaving the 2 CBs exposed. There is no holding up the play to allow the midfield to get back either, which kills the move.

A big problem with English football over the last few years is that has become too slow. Even on a counter attack, players are more interested in keeping possession as opposed to making a pass that may lose the ball. That allows the midfield to get back to defend the back 4.

Leicester are the opposite to that. When they counter attack, they do not allow the move to slow down or go sideways. It's direct, fast and they do not allow the oppositions midfield get back. They dont give a **** about losing the ball because creating chances is more important than holding onto the ball.

Hammerhead to nail.

I remember hearing a pundit in media saying some players appear to be obsessed with the stat of pass success rate think they were referring to Arsenal in particular, leads to less creativeness in order to lead to a goal to look deadly on the stats ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Edgy.

Sometimes teams get lucky on injuries, Chelsea last year I think didn't have many. I'm struggling to think of a PL winning team that did it with loads of injuries, usually it's the reasons don't win it.

Logical fallacy methinks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I agree Hilmann.

Remember when English Football Teams dominanted European Football in the 70s and 80. European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and the Fairs Cup.

Playing direct football none, of this Possession stuff.

The Germans played this way in the last World Cup and destroyed everything in front of them.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I haven't read the article but regarding the stats, is he alluding to the fact that they have the 3rd worst possession stats in the league?
    K-9 wrote: »
    Edgy.

Sometimes teams get lucky on injuries, Chelsea last year I think didn't have many. I'm struggling to think of a PL winning team that did it with loads of injuries, usually it's the reasons don't win it.

Logical fallacy methinks.

no he mentioned possession, shots on goal - 8th best. even attacking quickly
    One statistical measurement in which Leicester do stand out is that is that when they attack, they move the ball forward faster than any other team in the league. But this is not an infallible sign of a formidable side. Analysis by Will Gürpinar-Morgan for statsbomb.com showed only two teams over the last four Premier League seasons who had a higher average pace of attack than Leicester 2015/’16. They were the Burnley team of 2014/’15 (relegated) and the Aston Villa team of 2013/’14 (15th, five points off relegation).

so getting forward quickly isn't a panacea to cracking the PL either

but left out they've a very high conversion rate & one that i thought he'd mention, they've started the same 11 pretty much all season, very few changes to it week to week, under 30 i think, chelsea last season had 86 i think & that was the lowest for PL winners.

images from a guy who does arsenal stats, 7amkickoff

creating.jpg

totals.jpg

look at conversion rate in the 18 yard box & who they're equal to
    conversion.jpg

and think it was this thread net spend argued about, so here's a recent one, via swissramble :D
    4%2BArsenal%2BTransfer%2BSpend%2BInterim.jpg

I remember hearing a pundit in media saying some players appear to be obsessed with the stat of pass success rate think they were referring to Arsenal in particular, leads to less creativeness in order to lead to a goal to look deadly on the stats ffs

would you be thinking on giles grimandi & mixing it up a little?
    he was talking about stats in scouting & the future of the traditional scout, according to him there's younger players now - obviously more aware on the stats - only making tackles when they're sure they'll win the ball, etc.
    should mention that he's a scout for arsenal in france, maybe scared of being sacked :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm starting to hope Spurs win the title cos the Leicester love in is getting nauseous (plus all those people who thought they were going get a bit rich will be beside themselves)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hope away as Leicester will be crowned champions anyway

I'm starting to hope Spurs win the title cos the Leicester love in is getting nauseous (plus all those people who thought they were going get a bit rich will be beside themselves)

:rolleyes:

That's just old age Harry.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I bet you wanted Daniel LaRusso to lose to the Cobra Kai too. You were probably in the Cinema screaming "Sweep The Leg"

So really Vardy could well be having the season of his career and Mahrez is quite good at football. Not as simple as that obviously, they've been rock solid at the back since Christmas too, but that's the formula.

Luck with injuries played a part but it would make sense they haven't used many players, no CL or any cup runs of note.

K-9 wrote: »
    That's just old age Harry.

True, plus I'm a divil for enjoying an upset - now the upset is Spurs winning the league rather than Leicester City. Obviously the rage of Arsenal supporters will be an added bonus whereas the only people slightly annoyed with the Walkers Stadium inmates success would be Rams and Forest supporters thanks to the mid-east "mild derby tension triangle"

• Advertisement

Disgraceful comment.

How dare you for not buying in to the greatest feel good story of all time.

You should be ashamed of yourself from having an opinion that differs from the majority.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hope Leicester win to annoy all the killjoys :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

True, plus I'm a divil for enjoying an upset - now the upset is Spurs winning the league rather than Leicester City.

You can't enjoy upsets that much if you get sick of them that easily.

Leicester winning the premier league not an upset. I'll have whatever you are smoking.

keith16 wrote: »
    You can't enjoy upsets that much if you get sick of them that easily.

Leicester winning the premier league not an upset. I'll have whatever you are smoking.

It is right now.

If they don't win it it would be one of the greatest collapses in the history of sport probably worse than Bayer Leverkusens collapse in 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Disgraceful comment.

How dare you for not buying in to the greatest feel good story of all time.

You should be ashamed of yourself from having an opinion that differs from the majority.

How dare you.

How dare you have an opinion on having an opinion that differs from the rest of the opinions of having an opinion.

But really, you don't have to quite publicise that you have a different opinion in some sort of 'oppressed' way.

• Advertisement

Gosh it's like people actually care!

/looks for Leicester City thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

do you also hate sunny days because everyone else is happy when it's sunny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I wouldn't be surprised if all the bookies are hoping Leicester will win because when you think about it.....
    yes, lots to pay out if they do at some massive odds,
    but
    probably a hell of a lot more bets placed on spurs, lower odds obviously, but i'd be surprised if there wasn't at least 50 times more bets put on spurs.

obviously i'm only speculating, but would be interesting to see the stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the people that are getting rich.

Its great to see folks who put £10 or £20 on their team at the start of each season get such a wind fall, it will more than make up for all the previous £10 or £20 losses.

One guy cashed in his £20 bet a few months ago for £29,000 and he still had another £20 on them to finish top 3.

Good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

To be fair, Spurs winning the league is a remarkable achievment in itself! They probably thrived this season on not getting the media attention they would have normally attracted in such a title challenging season due to Leicester's story.

Either team would be superb and deserved winners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

An hour from history!

Edit... oops

Its fair to say Leicester will beat this Chelsea team regardless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

If this is how Chelsea play when they want to stop someone winning the title, I doubt Leicester will have much trouble getting the 3 points from them on the last day (assuming they even need them of course, with Everton to be played beforehand).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chelsea really not playing their part in the story here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Suddenly if Leicester don't beat Everton...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Leicester are to do it I'd rather they do it in front of their own fans. It will be much more emotional.

Unearthly wrote: »

....they will have to beat this pretty awful Chelsea team! And this is Chelsea against rivals! Imagine them on the last day of the season not giving a flying fk!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

....they will have to beat this pretty awful Chelsea team! And this is Chelsea against rivals! Imagine them on the last day of the season not giving a flying fk!!

I'd still not fancy not having to go to the bridge to avoid defeat. The nerves alone could kill them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have to say i dont buy into all this rivalry nonsense.

Its the fans who are rivals. The clubs are rivals. The history.

Them boys out there on the pitch are only blow ins, there to play football and collect a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

game on - bums getting squeaky

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seve OB wrote: »

Them boys out there on the pitch are only blow ins, there to play football and collect a cheque.

Its a pretty heated game for a bunch of blown ins playing each other

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I don't think any pro player would care about the opponents need for points. They will play to the max of their ability...albeit that may be limited by tiredness or they may have subconsciously checked out on the season. As you say, they will play cos it's a job. They may fight harder against certain teams, like in derbies, but they won't roll over cos it would be nice for the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Surely all players are paid directly into their bank a/c's? ;)

Unearthly wrote: »

Yeah, Everton a big part to play in the Leicester and relegation stories. Not that big though, used to be a time that was a tough fxture. They've the worst home form next to Villa.

• Advertisement

It shouldn't but I think it still plays a part, Liverpool United or Everton games can still get feisty, other derbys too. The hype and build up does seem to translate onto the pitch.

Advertisement