Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jamie Vardy tomorrow morning:

13102823_524827394389527_2893187405882975601_n.jpg?oh=c6a944c4fee5dbec0f0a6676c3cbaacf&oe=57AD0886&__gda__=1470474372_ba3b090cadc70f0a66c04ae250503b42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

mansize wrote: »
    Not really, the odds will be 5000/1

Eh, no they wont! The odds of a future 5000/1 champion over a number of seasons will be less! As I said think about it! Simple mathematics! Odds diminish according to the number of seasons you take into account!

Its like going into a bookies and asking "what are the chances there will be any 5/1 winner of the grand national over the next 20 years. Bookie would give you odds on!"

Ps, im not trying to be pedantic, although i'm not doing a very good job I must admit!! :D

I think i'm reading his statement a bit differently though actually, sorry! I am reading it as in he is saying "what are the odds we will se another 5000/1 champion again!"

Anyway, i'm just having a laugh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm not sure thats really Huth. His hair looks different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Ardent wrote: »
    Eden Hazard will never have to buy a drink in Leicester!

Cracking goal:
    https://streamable.com/e7e0

Leicester city goal of the year-Eden Hazard for Chelsea v Spurs

It would have been the most bizarre game at Stamford Bridge Sunday week had Leicester needed to beat Chelsea to win the league! Chelsea were so pumped up that second half and their celebrations afterwards and all the comments beforehand indicated they REALLY wanted Leicester to win the league over Spurs (obviously!).
    I am kind of glad that situation didnt materialise! Would have been very ugly to see a team essentially willing their opponent to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Delighted for Leicester, gutted that it was Spurs to be the last contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just read the lead story on the Leicester City website, and it's a wonderful read.

Andy King now has a winners medal in League 1, The Championship & The Premier League.
    All won with Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Brett Ormerod scoring for Blackpool in all four divisions > Andy King's story, imo

Brett Ormerod scoring for Blackpool in all four divisions > Andy King's story, imo

Surely a medal in 3 different divisions in better than scoring a goal in 4 divisions?

Id imagine Brett would trade his goals for medals too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I agree that Andy King's achievement is much more impressive but, personally, there's just something more romantic about Ormerod's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Behind every success story there is an irishman (or woman)

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/City-Whelan/story-27449229-detail/story.html

Fair play to her, big decision at the end of last season and it has paid off in a big way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This time three years ago, Leicester City conceded the most devastating blow I've ever watched live, when Anthony Knockaert missed a penalty to send them to the Play Off Final, and within 15 seconds, Troy Deeney had scored to send them packing completely. You could forgive a club for having a poor season following something like that, but their team spirit had been building from then. Came back to seal promotion the following year, stay up with a monumental end of season run the following year, and now they are the champions of England! It's an incredible achievement by them.

And it just shows that in football, you can always dream big. I'm just disappointed for Leicester that the year they win the league, is also the year that Ireland win the Euros, so it won't be remembered for long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Really happy that Leicester have done it.

They did without the massive wages, the massive transfers and after nearly being dumped out of the league this time last year.

Also really happy for Ranieri who has been a joy to watch.

He hasn't resorted to playing mind games, bullying, or whinging when decisions go against him.
    Hell he didn't complain on Saturday even though a united player deserved to be sent to the line even more than his own.

He has come across as a true gentleman unlike a lot of his competitors.

Glad to see he has finally been rewarded after many close calls.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

SantryRed wrote: »
    This time three years ago, Leicester City conceded the most devastating blow I've ever watched live, when Anthony Knockaert missed a penalty to send them to the Play Off Final, and within 15 seconds, Troy Deeney had scored to send them packing completely. You could forgive a club for having a poor season following something like that, but their team spirit had been building from then. Came back to seal promotion the following year, stay up with a monumental end of season run the following year, and now they are the champions of England! It's an incredible achievement by them.

And it just shows that in football, you can always dream big. I'm just disappointed for Leicester that the year they win the league, is also the year that Ireland win the Euros, so it won't be remembered for long....

Was that the game where the guy reporting for SSN nearly lost it when Watford went up the field and scored ?

I'll try and dig out the video later

Edit : Here is is actually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

as a spurs fan, I would like to congratulate leicester, well done lads, totally deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Huh. I guess all the other PL winners were immaculately conceived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

congrats to Leicester, some achievement, probably the greatest upset in football, hard luck spurs but they played really good stuff at times so their time will come hopefully in terms of winning the epl, as a leeds fan I remember we were written off against utd in 92 but we as team were able to grind out the results in the games that mattered like the foxes have done, well done Claudio ranieri delighted for him , nigel pearson deserves a lot of credit as well by laying the groundwork and getting the 2 promotions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ouch!

Some coincidence with him and his son winning it on the same day, while both didn't play.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Well done Leicester I guess.... But I'm a little suspicious how all these previously ordinary players suddenly become Premier League Champions in 1 season with hardly any injuries and tremendous recovery rates during the season...

FatherTed wrote: »
    Well done Leicester I guess.... But I'm a little suspicious how all these previously ordinary players suddenly become Premier League Champions in 1 season with hardly any injuries and tremendous recovery rates during the season...

They only played 43 games and had precious few weeks where they had to play more than two games in a seven day period.

Liverpool will play 62, 63 if they somehow get over the line on Thursday.

That's all it boils down to in terms of injuries and recovery rate imo. In the lower leagues, teams have 48 games minimum (50 in League One and Two)...43 games is a very small amount for a professional squad to handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The Leicester story is incredible but remember there's a really bad film waiting to happen and Sean Bean is probably in it. #LCFCChampions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They only played 43 games and had precious few weeks where they had to play more than two games in a seven day period.

Liverpool will play 62, 63 if they somehow get over the line on Thursday.

That's all it boils down to in terms of injuries and recovery rate imo. In the lower leagues, teams have 48 games minimum (50 in League One and Two)...43 games is a very small amount for a professional squad to handle.

huge difference. that's basically 50% more games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Oh I'd say it's because they're all juicing up, steroids, PPEs, the lot. Probably dabbling in a spot of voodoo to make the other teams lose too. And as to how they managed to win those 4 games in a row by 1 goal to nil, they paid off the refs for that. Cheating toerags the lot of em.

By the way, thanks Leicester for giving neutrals a team to shout for, and non-neutrals a favorite 2nd team. I have enjoyed this season immensely so thanks LCFC. And cheers also for never looking like I would need to cash in my bet on Leicester for the league. I let it ride and I'm glad I did, a handy grand indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

garra wrote: »
    Oh I'd say it's because they're all juicing up, steroids, PPEs, the lot. Probably dabbling in a spot of voodoo to make the other teams lose too. And as to how they managed to win those 4 games in a row by 1 goal to nil, they paid off the refs for that. Cheating toerags the lot of em.

By the way, thanks Leicester for giving neutrals a team to shout for, and non-neutrals a favorite 2nd team. I have enjoyed this season immensely so thanks LCFC. And cheers also for never looking like I would need to cash in my bet on Leicester for the league. I let it ride and I'm glad I did, a handy grand indeed.

I would not rule out the PED element to it.

But its not exclusive to Leicester City by any means.

Great story indeed. Much like Lance Armstrong, a nothing rider, gets cancer, gets cured, starts galloping up the Alps without taking a breath and wins the TDF. I'm sure most teams are juicing up, Leicester imo have perfected it.

Do you disagree with my reasoning on volume of games?

Do you disagree with my reasoning on volume of games?

To some extent but why haven't the likes of Swansea and Southampton who had much better pedigree before the season and were also knocked out of the cups early, done as well as Leicester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Out of interest lads what were the odds at Christmas for Leicester to go on and win it.

rob316 wrote: »
    Out of interest lads what were the odds at Christmas for Leicester to go on and win it.

10/1:
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/10258871/premier-league-2015-16-how-the-odds-changed-as-leicester-claimed-the-title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Leicester are doing their pre-season in America and taking part in the International Champions Cup! This is the same cup Manchester United won in Van Gaal's first pre-season.

Gbear wrote: »
    Huh. I guess all the other PL winners were immaculately conceived.

sigh............ :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hazys wrote: »

And poor me let down for 700 over the weekend after Barnsley, pushing for a play off conceded a 97th minute goal to already relegated Colchester who were playing with 10 men and who had their striker in goals for the last 20 odd minutes!!!

Some people have all the luck :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone else finding themselves going back to sports websites just to reaffirm whats happened?
    Honestly still can't believe it.
    God only knows what it feels to be like to be a life-long LCFC fan!
    It'll be something else when they get their hands on the trophy and get to parade it around.

To some extent but why haven't the likes of Swansea and Southampton who had much better pedigree before the season and were also knocked out of the cups early, done as well as Leicester?

You are conflating two separate discussions:

- how did they manage to perform expectations technically, tactically and mentally
    - what accounted for their ability to use few players and retain a high energy level throughout the season

Their low volume of games is a direct influencer on the second point. I'm sure Swsnsea were forced to use less players than Liverpool too and enjoyed a much more settled 11.

For the first, they seemed to carry a tremendous team spirit and run of confidence into this season; they have been managed excellently and they seem to have struck gold with their transfers.

They have also got extraordinarily lucky in a non traditional sense - i.e. while they have earned their points they have enjoyed a perfect storm of multiple players (and the manager) having 9 / 10 seasons.

I just don't buy PEDs as an explanation - and that's coming from someone who assumes doping is endemic across professional sport including football. For it to be the factor Leicester would need to be doing something no one else is. For Leicester to be way ahead of the curve of the big clubs.

If that is the case it will come out in time anyway if the likes of Mahrez and Kante fail at big clubs when they are sold on over the next couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

One would have to assume that when things like this occur ie complete rank outsiders winning something they had no business winning (in the context of the PL, money spent etc) that the winning team or person/horse/whatever would be subject to a certain amount of scrutiny.

Does anyone know if there are rules in place for how many times a player or a team can be tested for PED's or is it a case the committee or whoever ia responsible can pick and choose who they please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

sigh............ :rolleyes:

I was on my phone and I didn't remember the smiley code that would've made me seem less anti-craic.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Fair play to Leicester. They did what pretty much everyone said couldn't be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Leicester are doing their pre-season in America and taking part in the International Champions Cup! This is the same cup Manchester United won in Van Gaal's first pre-season.

Oh dear...:pac:

If Chelsea are the worst defenders of the title in the modern era will Leicester beat it next season?

Gbear wrote: »
    I was on my phone and I didn't remember the smiley code that would've made me seem less anti-craic.:o

I'll forgive you!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the PED thing - one would expect them to be covering more ground than everyone else if that was the case, but in any list i've seen, they haven't had any player even in the top ten performers in the league for distance covered.

We've all been watching their games...on any given day do they look like a team of supermen? Not really. I mean, they all work hard for each other, but that shared effort means they all actually give each other breaks - if someone bombs up the wing, they don't have to sprint back as someone else has already stepped in. It's been cumulative effort.

Their real edge has come primarily in both boxes. At the back, they simply win everything in the air, and are well drilled at not leaving any space for the opposition to get through. In attack, they score goals. Whenever they've needed them, someone puts away that high pressure chance. There's just been a confidence running through the team where they seem to just believe they'll win every game, and when that chance comes, it's like a foregone conclusion. Those Morgan goals especially.

We've always seen a handful of players with that kind of "I WILL score" drive that's more emotional than physical - Steven Gerrard for instance, but i've never seen so many guys with that self belief in the same team at the same time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ranieri just managed the squad really well. They only played 43 games and got knocked out of the FA cup early. After playing the majority of the match with 10 men against Arsenal and losing the game in the 95th minute, Ranieri gave Leicester a week off making the most of the fixture break because of the FA cup. After the Arsenal game, they were only 2 points behind. In the next 7 games though Leicester picked up 19/21 points whereas Arsenal only picked up something like 9/21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Craziest winner of any sporting competition. Has there ever been a bigger shock? I don't think it'll ever be topped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was Vardy high up that list round Christmas time? Lallana was near the top IIRC.

Vardy looked done out near the end of the season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What is wrong with a lot of football teams is that they have a stinkingly bad attitute of playing well against big teams and not turning up for the non glamour games. Ireland were horrendous for it. We always seen it as a good trait but their attitute stunk.

Leicester played the second half of last season on a win or die basis. It didnt matter if it was Saturday 3pm versus West Brom or Super Sunday versus one of the big teams, they played like their lives depended on it, like it was the biggest game of their lives. They continued that on this season and played with the right attitute. They had an attitute of 3 points versus Aston Villa in October is the same as 3 points versus Swansea in April.

There are plenty of teams that have littered football over the few decades that only bother turning up when the TV Cameras are about and a high profile team are in town. These teams had the ability to do so much more with the their careers but essentially didnt want it enough. Leicester wanted it from week 1. They put the same effort into every game.

I thought the last World Cup would change peoples attitute towards the old fashioned traits of intensity and hard work. Teams like the U.S.A, Algeria and Costa Rica showed what giving everything really looked like. Teams like Italy, England and Spain could not look themselves in the mirror and say to themselves "We gave it everything", because USA, Algeria and Costa Rica had shown them up as lazy and lax.

Leicester have completly shown up a lot of clubs and teams as lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

K-9 wrote: »
    Was Vardy high up that list round Christmas time? Lallana was near the top IIRC.

Vardy looked done out near the end of the season.

At October, the top 5 were; Milner, Surman, Ritchie, Ramsey and Barry.

Leicester don't feature in the "most sprints" list either here, which is one you could put down to PED. Interestingly, they have 3 players in the "fastest sprints" category for this period - which really is indicative of their success. Lightning breaks, and simply getting a man into the box as often as possible. Also shows in the penalty stats, getting more pens than anyone else. it's like Liverpool back in 13/14 - if you get the ball in the box at the feet of tricky fast guys, you score goals and win pens. This is really the lesson that should be learned by other clubs - give yourself as many opportunities as possible where it counts. No ****in' around in midfield.

As of February, the top 10 ground-covered heroes were; Barry, Dawson, Capoue, Fletcher, Noble, Ritchie, M'Vila, Gosling, Barkley. Interestingly nearly all at clubs who didn't actually do very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I just don't buy PEDs as an explanation - and that's coming from someone who assumes doping is endemic across professional sport including football. For it to be the factor Leicester would need to be doing something no one else is. For Leicester to be way ahead of the curve of the big clubs.

http://www.calcioefinanza.it/2016/02/25/centro-mapei-leicester-juventus-olgiate/

They are benefiting from the same sport science specialists in Italy that has led to Juventus' dominance and who own Sassuolo who are also overachieving massively. Very much involved in cycling too that crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

mansize wrote: »
    The Leicester story is incredible but remember there's a really bad film waiting to happen and Sean Bean is probably in it. #LCFCChampions

Not unless one of the Leicester team dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not unless one of the Leicester team dies.

Ah he can be Pearson

• Advertisement
Advertisement