Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

For all the talk playing down their chances, I would say that they'd be devastated if they don't win it from here. And all credit to them; they've been by far the most consistent team in the PL this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

blueser wrote: »
    For all the talk playing down their chances, I would say that they'd be devastated if they don't win it from here. And all credit to them; they've been by far the most consistent team in the PL this season.

It would take a massive collapse from them not to win it now.Their fixtures are quiet handy compared to Spurs.

I'd say they'll have it won with about 3 games to go.

Go Leicester :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Get in Leicester! Four 1-0 wins in the last five. Superb stuff.

Done it again. Extraordinary.

Another 3 points banked away today. Hard to see them fcuking up now. Yes, they have a tricky last 3 games, but it could well be irrelevant at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Another 3 points banked away today. Hard to see them fcuking up now. Yes, they have a tricky last 3 games, but it could well be irrelevant at that stage.

I think you mean 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Possibly with a United and Chelsea with nothing to play for.
    Spurs should win tomorrow so next week will be crucial imo. If Liverpool can win and Leicester beat Southhampton then an 8 point gap with 6 games left would put them in a very commanding position. Spurs will iot win the rest of their games other than Liverpool either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

That's a massive win today to put themselves 8 clear, having played a game more than spurs.

Its a match that could easily have ended a draw though, Leicester got that bit of luck you need at the very end with Delaney's shot hitting the bar in stoppage time.

Spurs play Bournemouth tomorrow, I expect them to win that but they have Liverpool (A) and Man Utd (H) next two games. Meanwhile Leicester play Southampton (h) and Sunderland (a).

You'd expect Leicester to be able to maintain a 5 point gap by the end of those run of games if not extend it.

• Advertisement

Looking at the fixtures and kick off times Spurs play twice now before Leicester play again.

Spurs play Bournemouth 4 pm tomorrow and then travel away to Liverpool 5:30 pm next Saturday.

Win both and Spurs will be just 2 points behind when Leicester play Southampton at home 1:30 pm next Sunday!

The pressures really on Spurs now to get 2 wins!

I think you mean 2.
    Fair point (I assume you're discounting the home game against Everton). Away at OT won't be easy, particularly if united are still in with a shout of a top 4 spot. Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on the last day is a hard call. Chelsea will have the square root of fcuk all to play for, but no team likes to finish the season with a home defeat. Chuck in that it might be Terry's last game for them (I don't think it will be, but it's a possibility) and they won't want to give him a losing finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Leicester won't win the league. There's a collapse coming and I could see them not winning any of their remaining games (not every single one. I just mean that, individually, they could draw or lose any of them).

I'm a Spurs fan but I don't see us doing it either. I reckon Arsenal have a very winnable run in.

If Spurs don't win it, I'd love it to be Leicester but I just can't see it happening. I can see it being a Tom Watson in 2009 situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Leicester won't win the league. There's a collapse coming and I could see them not winning any of their remaining games (not every single one. I just mean that, individually, they could draw or lose any of them).

I'm a Spurs fan but I don't see us doing it either.

One of the two will win it. I can indeed see a collapse happening as we enter squeaky bum time, but a collapse from one will only galvanise the other so it will be either Leicester or Spurs to win it imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I reckon Arsenal have a very winnable run in.

They could (and should) win all of their remaining games but critically play neither Spurs or Leicester in the run in so can't take points off either.
    They play City when it may not matter anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

how good a signing has Robery Huth been ?

Think he joined when they were bottom of the table for free.

Now the dream is coming closer to reality.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They could (and should) win all of their remaining games but critically play neither Spurs or Leicester in the run in so can't take points off either.

Arsenal have West Ham and Man City away. Hardly handy games.

Not a hope arsenal will win all remaining fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great stuff Leicester 4 more wins should do it.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Maybe but if they do win them all, they'll definitely win it. A bunch of twists and turns left in this and I guarantee you that both Spurs and Leicester will stumble a couple of times in the run in.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

No not handy but they could win both and have to beat City.
    Agreed though that they won't win all of the remaining games as it is a big ask for any team to win 7 or 8 on the trot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Looking at the fixtures and kick off times Spurs play twice now before Leicester play again.

Spurs play Bournemouth 4 pm tomorrow and then travel away to Liverpool 5:30 pm next Saturday.

Win both and Spurs will be just 2 points behind when Leicester play Southampton at home 1:30 pm next Sunday!

The pressures really on Spurs now to get 2 wins!

Spurs won't win at Anfield. They never do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm a Spurs fan but I don't see us doing it either. I reckon Arsenal have a very winnable run in.

If Spurs don't win it, I'd love it to be Leicester but I just can't see it happening. I can see it being a Tom Watson in 2009 situation.

But we have been told that Leicester's collapse is coming for months now, and it has not come.

They are in the middle of their so call "soft" games, and they have dome exactly what has been required, taken 10 from a possible 12.
    Upcoming games against Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham, and Swansea are all very winnable, 1-0 or otherwise, thus they will be home and dry come the so called "tough" games v Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea.

Expect the trophy to be handed over at home after the game v Everton on May 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will the Schmeichel's become the first father and son to win the title if Leicester do it?

Will the Schmeichel's become the first father and son to win the title if Leicester do it?

As players afaik.

Alex and Darren Ferguson won titles but in different capacities.

But we have been told that Leicester's collapse is coming for months now, and it has not come.

They are in the middle of their so call "soft" games, and they have dome exactly what has been required, taken 10 from a possible 12.
    Upcoming games against Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham, and Swansea are all very winnable, 1-0 or otherwise, thus they will be home and dry come the so called "tough" games v Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea.

Expect the trophy to be handed over at home after the game v Everton on May 7th.

They won't win those 4. If they do, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

1620484_1295316277159451_49167286318266406_n.jpg?oh=c0ac8d7067ceacffa4cf82bd793ee287&oe=5752C0C8

pyx244.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well technically it would be Ian Wright and Shaun Wright-Phillips as players would be the first. Wright-Phillips was adopted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Leicester looked steady v Palace today there on MOTD....eeking out yet another one- nil.... a sign of Champions elect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great stuff Leicester 4 more wins should do it.

I think even 3 wins and a draw or two will be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Fair point (I assume you're discounting the home game against Everton). Away at OT won't be easy, particularly if united are still in with a shout of a top 4 spot. Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on the last day is a hard call. Chelsea will have the square root of fcuk all to play for, but no team likes to finish the season with a home defeat. Chuck in that it might be Terry's last game for them (I don't think it will be, but it's a possibility) and they won't want to give him a losing finale.

I actually meant Utd. I don't think current Utd could handle Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's been a really entertaining season so far with unexpected results for most of the top teams and Leicester showing a level of consistency that no one expected!

Current points:
    Leicester 63 points (30 games played)
    Tottenham 58 points (30 games played)
    Arsenal 52 points (29 games played)
    Man City 51 points (29 games played)

Looking at the fixture run ins:

Leicester
    Crystal Palace (a)
    Southampton (h)
    Sunderland (a)
    West Ham (h)
    Swansea (h)
    Man Utd (a)
    Everton (h)
    Chelsea (a)

Max Points: 87 points.
    Key Games: I think the next 3 games are key for Leicester. If they can get at least 6 points from those 3 then I think they'll do it. Anything less and I'd fancy Spurs to win it.

Tottenham
    Bournemouth (H)
    Liverpool (A)
    Man Utd (H)
    Stoke City (A)
    WBA (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Southampton (H)
    Newcastle Utd (A)

Max points: 82 points.
    Key games: Liverpool (A), Man Utd (H), Chelsea (A).

Arsenal

Everton (A)
    Watford (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Crystal Palace (H)
    West Brom (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Norwich (H)
    Man City (A)
    Aston Villa (H)

Max Points: 79 points.
    Key games: Need to win them all but Everton (A), West Ham (A) And Man City (A) are key games they may drop points in.

Man City:
    Manchester United (H)
    Bournemouth (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Southampton (A)
    Arsenal (H)
    Swansea (A)

Max Points: 78 points.
    Key games: Need to win them all but ((Chelsea (A) and Man Utd (H) and Arsenal (H)) are tough games for them.

I think Man City or Arsenal need to win all their remaining games to have a chance. However on current form that's hard to see so I could see 77 points being enough for Leicester to take the title as Spurs are likely to drop points as well with some tough away fixtures. so that would be 4 wins and 2 draw from their remaining 8.

Counting the Palace match Leicester 20 points from the corresponding fixtures left this season, Spurs 10.

West Ham and United might still be in the battle for 4th but Everton and Chelsea will have nothing to play for really at the end.

As you say they can afford to drop points in a few games assuming Spurs don't go on an amazing run.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Get in Leicester! Four 1-0 wins in the last five. Superb stuff.

Some transformation, up to Xmas they'd the best record at coming from behind in games, now the goals have dried up they are keeping loads of clean sheets. Complete package really!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope they do it and I think they will.

Few twists yet but Arsenal don't have the balls and Spurs look like they not as tough as I thought, but a win for Spurs today and still very much in race

If it was at the King Power, I'd agree with you. At OT though? Hmm. The sheer scale of the place can get to opposing players. The actual team itself is pretty poor though, that can't be denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If it was at the King Power, I'd agree with you. At OT though? Hmm. The sheer scale of the place can get to opposing players. The actual team itself is pretty poor though, that can't be denied.
    It's definitely not like it once was, lots of good results for smaller teams since the Fergie days. No reason why Leicester should go there with any fear when the likes of Norwich, West Brom, Swansea and Southampton have been winning there in recent years.

It's definitely not like it once was, lots of good results for smaller teams since the Fergie days. No reason why Leicester should go there with any fear when the likes of Norwich, West Brom, Swansea and Southampton have been winning there in recent years.
    Fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well technically it would be Ian Wright and Shaun Wright-Phillips as players would be the first. Wright-Phillips was adopted though.

First foreign players :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

astonaidan wrote: »
    First foreign players :pac:

Erm, Ian was born in Woolich and Shaun in Greenwich - both in London. :confused:

Billy86 wrote: »
    Erm, Ian was born in Woolich and Shaun in Greenwich - both in London. :confused:

He meant the Schmeichel's would be the first foreign players to win it as Dad and Son.

So you are saying that Chelsea and Everton are tougher opponents than United?
    Seriously?

Look at the league table. Man U are 9 and 12 points ahead of them respectively with a better goal difference than both, will be playing at home and will have something to play for.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Some transformation, up to Xmas they'd the best record at coming from behind in games, now the goals have dried up they are keeping loads of clean sheets. Complete package really!

Ah come on. Look it's a great story but they aren't the complete package or anything like it. Even if they win it, they'll be hockeyed in Europe and struggle to be upper mid table next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

If Leicester win the league spare a thought for Jordan Veretout who had an opportunity to join them in the summer but chose Villa instead.
    In fairness he deserves some credit as he had given his word to join Villa even though Leicester offered £3.5 mill more to Nantes.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-aston-villas-jordan-veretout-10889034

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ah come on. Look it's a great story but they aren't the complete package or anything like it. Even if they win it, they'll be hockeyed in Europe and struggle to be upper mid table next year.

I think they will struggle in Europe next year just like utd and Liverpool the past 2 seasons though. I don't think they will finish top 6 next year either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

pavb2 wrote: »
    If Leicester win the league spare a thought for Jordan Veretout who had an opportunity to join them in the summer but chose Villa instead.
    In fairness he deserves some credit as he had given his word to join Villa even though Leicester offered £3.5 mill more to Nantes.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-aston-villas-jordan-veretout-10889034

Seeing as I believe in the butterfly effect, the likelihood is that if he joined they probably wouldn't be in contention so he has nothing to feel bad about.

Who knows , maybe Veretout not joining is actually the real reason they are doing so well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Man City winning the league was more of a shock compared to when Chelsea won it, Man City were in the 2nd division 10 years previously whereas Chelsea were a big club 7-8 years years before 2005, Chelsea finished 3rd in the league in 1999 and were in the Champions league QF in 2000.

It was O'Neills influence in the late 1990s which is the route of the success, he picked the club up from the gutter abit like Gullit and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Man City winning the league was more of a shock compared to when Chelsea won it, Man City were in the 2nd division 10 years previously whereas Chelsea were a big club 7-8 years years before 2005, Chelsea finished 3rd in the league in 1999 and were in the Champions league QF in 2000...

There was the small fact of City becoming the richest club on earth during that 10 year period.

• Advertisement

Hence the ! at the end.

The point is they leaked goals up to half way, now they are grinding out 1-0's.

Of course they'll struggle next season. Teams that qualify for the Europa Cup with small squads, always finish lower in the league the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If anyone here is a true football fan, you'll be thrilled if Leicester take the title.
    Perhaps even if you're a Spurs or Gunners fan... yes, you'll be gutted you're team didn't take their chance, but you'll have to raise a pint at the magnificent spirit they've shown to (hopefully!) lift the league trophy!
    I've always been a believer that spirit, form and belief play such important part in sport. I think regardless if they win or not, the Foxes this year will be such a reference point for many teams for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Ranieri gone back to Italy on holidays, legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Ranieri gone back to Italy on holidays, legend!

He deserves a nice glass of Cà del Bosco Franciacorta Annamaria Clementi

yes I googled fine Italian wines ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How about Leicester?

I hope they win since Arsenal now won't.
    And they show everything that Arsenal lack i.e. a fighting spirit, leadership when it matters and a quick attacking prowess.

And they are not made up of overpaid half interested spineless gobdaws being led by an excuse ridden leader.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    If anyone here is a true football fan, you'll be thrilled if Leicester take the title.
    Perhaps even if you're a Spurs or Gunners fan... yes, you'll be gutted you're team didn't take their chance, but you'll have to raise a pint at the magnificent spirit they've shown to (hopefully!) lift the league trophy!
    I've always been a believer that spirit, form and belief play such important part in sport. I think regardless if they win or not, the Foxes this year will be such a reference point for many teams for years to come.

Exactly.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
Advertisement