Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Not hypothetical anymore) Leicester win the league!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Had a guess at the remaining games, I think Leicester could even get away with only getting one more win and a few draws, that should see them home and dry. Leicester have the big advantage that it's in their hands and Spurs need them to mess up a few games. I can't see Spurs getting 15pts in 5 games. Have a feeling it'll come down to the last two games though.

Remaining Fixtures:

Leicester v West Ham Sunday 17th April 2016
    Stoke v Tottenham Monday 18th April 2016
    This won't be an easy game for Spurs, likewise Leicester. Prediction: both draws

Leicester v Swansea Sunday 24th April 2016
    Tottenham v West Brom Monday 25th April 2016
    Tougher game for Leicester, momentum might see them through but Spurs should win this comfortably. Prediction: both wins

Man Utd v Leicester Sunday 1st May 2016
    Chelsea v Tottenham Monday 2nd May 2016
    Can see Leicester losing this but Spurs won't win either. Prediction: Leicester loss & Spurs draw.

Leicester v Everton Saturday 7th May 2016
    Tottenham v Southampton Sunday 8th May 2016
    Would expect a Leicester result as Everton will have nothing to play for(likewise Southampton) at this stage and a result here should clinch it. Either both home wins or draws.

Chelsea v Leicester Sunday 15th May 2016
    Newcastle v Tottenham Sunday 15th May 2016
    May or may not come down to these games, results will depend on that tbh. Probably Leicester draw and Spurs win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The thoughts of Tottenham winning the title :( ....shudders violently, assumes foetal position and proceeds to rock back and forth

How about the thought of Spurs fans forever reminding and "thanking" Arsenal for taking 6 points off Leicester! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leicester will be walking onto the platform to lift the title and people will be talking about how they're still going to wobble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It would take some wobble from Leicester at this stage and one they don't look likely to make. They have Swansea (nothing to play for), Everton (nothing to play for), United (will roll over and have their bellies tickled) so that 7 points there at a minimum.
    I reckon Chelsea could beat them on the last day but the race will be over by then and Leicester will be champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Think Leicester are home and hosed now to be honest. 5 games to go, I think 2 wins and a draw will do them. Spurs aren't going to go 5 from 5 I think, they'll drop points somewhere.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think Leicester's fixtures look a bit harder on paper than in reality. United, Chelsea and Everton are all underachieving badly this season and shouldn't be feared. And do you really think Chelsea will be going all out to hand the title to Spurs?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think Leicester's fixtures look a bit harder on paper than in reality. United, Chelsea and Everton are all underachieving badly this season and shouldn't be feared. And do you really think Chelsea will be going all out to hand the title to Spurs?

They also face west ham at the weekend after west ham have a midweek FA cup game. They face Everton after Everton play a midweek league game. I reckon it's in the bag 2 wins 2 draws 1 defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Exactly, it will be a crazy day at the bridge.

Either Leicester will have it won - guard of honour and Ranieri will get an amazing reception from the Chelsea fans.

Or they win it there, cannot see Chelsea doing spurs a favour - so the whole crowd will be cheering Leicester :D !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Leicester just needs to win their home matches and that is the end of it.
    West Ham will not be easy but have FA cup replay as well this week so that is Arsenal, Man Utd and Leicester in 8 days.
    Then a week later, if they beat Utd, it is FA cup semi final.
    Can see Bilic resting players against Leicester then.

And if it really comes own to the last day.... Chelsea giving it to their former manager who never said anything bad about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The one time that ordinary decent people would have actually wanted Man United to win and they effed it up. Typical! It'll be just like them now to go and beat Leceister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea won't even need to roll over, Leicester would deal with us anyway.

They will have it wrapped up by then anyway. I think they will get at least 7 points from their next 3 games with Spurs getting 4 or 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tottenham have an easier run in after today. Massive in terms of momentum. I think it's going to come down to the last day. Chelsea will fck everyone over by beating Leicester and Spurs will win the league at St James' Park.
    Chelsea will never hand the league to Spurs on a plate. That game is a guaranteed victory for Leicester if it comes down to the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't agree with the Chelsea will roll over to stop spurs winning the league. The fans may not want them to win the league but the players couldn't care less if it's spurs or Leicester winning the league and their level of effort is unlikely to be affected. Much like in 95 when Liverpool played Blackburn. It's even less likely with Chelsea as they barely have an English player. The likes of Costa hazard azpil Pedro etc aren't going to be affected by spurs winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Unbelievable season from Leicester.

If only Jamie Vardy was a couple of years younger I'd say he'd have got a big move to a top team this summer.
    Turning 30 next year might some big teams off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

potential spanner in the works, no chance, but this does sully their magnificent achievement a little...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Unbelievable season from Leicester.

If only Jamie Vardy was a couple of years younger I'd say he'd have got a big move to a top team this summer.
    Turning 30 next year might some big teams off.

Yep, if he was younger he might get a move to a bigger team

A bigger team where hopefully he'd be possibly able to win the title in the next few years, sure there's no chance of that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

greendom wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

potential spanner in the works, no chance, but this does sully their magnificent achievement a little...

No to me, the creative accounting goes on at most clubs, yes they spent heavy in the championship but spending heavy does'nt guarantee you titles, Man city, QPR to name two recent ones.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Man City violated FFP as well didn't they? Got a slap on the wrist from UEFA about it. No talk of it sullying their titles.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yep, if he was younger he might get a move to a bigger team

A bigger team where hopefully he'd be possibly able to win the title in the next few years, sure there's no chance of that now

Why would he go to a "bigger team"?l
    Liverpool and Man City are all over the place.Half of both squads will be sold in the summer.
    Chelsea and Man United are a shambles.
    Arsenal are Arsenal so they should be avoided.
    That leaves Spurs. Would he get into the Spurs team?

Vardy is going to win the league and/or play in the champions league.
    He is at a team that is going places and is a guaranteed starter.
    :confused:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Doesn't sully anything. FFP deserves to be ignored.

Liverpool and Man City are all over the place.Half of both squads will be sold in the summer.

I have no expectations of this season heralding a new period of dominance for Leicester tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I was being sarcastic, why in hell would he move to a "bigger" club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was being sarcastic, why in hell would he move to a "bigger" club

Why does everyone move to a bigger club ? Chances of winning more titles , more money Loads of different reasons.

He's on 80,000 a week now he'd probably double that if he moved to bigger club plus a big signing on fee he'd be set for life then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If, as they should, go on to win the league, what would be considered as a successful season for them next year? If they're out of the Champions League at the group stage and in the bottom half of the league table, does Ranieri come under pressure?

If, as they should, go on to win the league, what would be considered as a successful season for them next year? If they're out of the Champions League at the group stage and in the bottom half of the league table, does Ranieri come under pressure?

Yes he does. Unfortunate reality of things. They might not sack him, but he'd be on watch to start the following season and it go from there.

Will be very interesting to see how they approach this summer. What you have you hold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yes he does. Unfortunate reality of things. They might not sack him, but he'd be on watch to start the following season and it go from there.

Will be very interesting to see how they approach this summer. What you have you hold?

Best thing Ranieri could do is leave if he wins the league, the only way will be down. He could be mid table next season(still a decent position if you ask me all things considered) and he might be sacked as expectations will be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

POKERKING wrote: »
    Best thing Ranieri could do is leave if he wins the league, the only way will be down. He could be mid table next season(still a decent position if you ask me all things considered) and he might be sacked as expectations will be ridiculous.

Why? He has a job for however long he wants there. Bar getting relegated or being down the bottom of the table for the next 3+ years then Leicester won't get rid of him.

As expectations go, if his side are still playing decent football I don't think Leicester fans will have such a short memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was hopeful Spurs would draw against United and go into the Stoke game needing a win and under pressure, but no. United couldnt do the world that one favour. Now Spurs really are on the crest of a wave.

Vardy scoring again is a nice boost for Leicester.

It's always Man United's fault

We been kinda **** all season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Leicester were relegated or close to being relegated next season.

They're almost certain to win the league now and I think the effort they have put in is bound to take it's toll on them and there motivation is bound to decrease as well.

The only reason they'll attract big players next year is for the money as I don't think players with ambition will want to go there as they'll know they've peaked and won't be challenging again.

If Ranieri has any sense at all he'll resign the second after the trophy is lifted and look for the Italian national team job or a bigger club as he'll have loads of offers now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If they can hold onto their best players and strengthen a little as well, there's no reason why they couldn't be competing again this year.

The tv money is increasing again next year and as it is spread throughout the EPL so evenly, we could even get another so called smaller club competing with them for the top 4 next season. Southampton and West Ham could well be up there and maybe a surprise outfit again from lower down the league - Chelsea perhaps ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

.......it will be because of the lack of quality in the league.

Liverpool (my club) - a mess
    United - see above
    Arsenal - bottlers
    Chelsea - WTF
    City - All cash, no heart.

Leicester will be walking onto the platform to lift the title and people will be talking about how they're still going to wobble.
    Knees could easilly give way on the stage :pac:

fyfe79 wrote: »
    How about the thought of Spurs fans forever reminding and "thanking" Arsenal for taking 6 points off Leicester! :p

43342264.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think they'll be way down the league next season. I feel they're starting to fall away, but they're staying defensively tight, getting a bit of luck, and getting the goals they need from all sources.

This time next year, they could easily have not won any of the games that they have in the previous 7. I'd be surprised to see them in the top half of the league next year. Really hope they are though, as despite the overall poor quality of the Premier League this year, it has been a great breath of fresh air!

from @footy_jokes on twitter :D Brilliant analogy

CfxnC4mWQAA8wMB.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think they'll be way down the league next season. I feel they're starting to fall away, but they're staying defensively tight, getting a bit of luck, and getting the goals they need from all sources.

Their last 7 games shows 6 wins and a draw.

I wish Man U were starting to fall away like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

If Villa were falling away like that wed be easily safe from relegation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

At least the Football League are on the ball anyway. It's only 2 years later. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

SantryRed wrote: »

Starting to fall away? They haven't conceded in 8 hours. The traits you describe above as indicating a fall are the signs of champions. Goals from all sources is great, less reliant on Vardy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Starting to fall away? They haven't conceded in 8 hours. The traits you describe above as indicating a fall are the signs of champions. Goals from all sources is great, less reliant on Vardy

Ok, I probably didn't describe it the best :pac:

But I don't feel they're controlling the games in the wins they're getting. I don't think it's a sustainable model of winning games moving into next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Trust me, possession and 'controlling games' is vastly overrated in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Why does everyone move to a bigger club ? Chances of winning more titles , more money Loads of different reasons.

He's on 80,000 a week now he'd probably double that if he moved to bigger club plus a big signing on fee he'd be set for life then.
    That is more then most will earn in a lifetime. He does not need to be motivated by money. There are other considerations. Likes the club, family settled in the area, playing style at club. Plus Vardy surely a club legend now no matter what happens.
    If he is not set for life with 4.16m per year he already gets he must be a big spender!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think people, myself included, subconsciously still do not see Leicester top of the league having only lost three games and having only conceded something like 6 goals in the last 14 games.

People subconsciously still see them as Leicester City, yo yo team at best.

So when they see a fixture like West Ham v Leicester, the first thought is "oh West Ham are going for a CL place, they should win.....", or when you see Utd or Chelsea v Leicester the first thought is "oh Utd and Chelsea, top teams,should win them...",

But in reality Leicester are the top dogs, and playing like top dogs, but we are finding it hard to get that into our heads.

I think people, myself included, subconsciously still do not see Leicester top of the league having only lost three games and having only conceded something like 6 goals in the last 14 games.

People subconsciously still see them as Leicester City, yo yo team at best.

So when they see a fixture like West Ham v Leicester, the first thought is "oh West Ham are going for a CL place, they should win.....", or when you see Utd or Chelsea v Leicester the first thought is "oh Utd and Chelsea, top teams,should win them...",

But in reality Leicester are the top dogs, and playing like top dogs, but we are finding it hard to get that into our heads.

As a fan of one of the smaller teams, I can in no way describe how jealous I am of Leicester, its not stopping me cheer ye on, it gives us all hope we can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

astonaidan wrote: »
    As a fan of one of the smaller teams, I can in no way describe how jealous I am of Leicester, its not stopping me cheer ye on, it gives us all hope we can do it

and you all can.

Except Villa.It'll never be Villa.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Villa had their 15 minutes already in the 80's
    In "my" stadium even

and you all can.

Except Villa.It'll never be Villa.:)

Ouch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

3 points today would surely all but seal it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Possible that they would lift the trophy against Swansea next week if results go their way. Would be nice for them to win it at home and screw over all the touting that is going on for the Everton game

Advertisement