Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Vintage Lens

• 15-03-2016 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

HI all,

A friend of mine is selling alot of vintage lenses and I think could be a good idea to pick up one or two, always wanted to get into Photography and I think this could be a good time to get some lenses at a good price.

Ive attached the list he has for sale.

any advice on which ones to buy would be great :o

I know buying lenses before the camera is prob a bad idea but can't see a collection like this coming up anytime soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Posting up a load of scribbles isn't a great idea either...

I wouldn't buy any. A lens is only a great deal if you know what you want it to do. And you haven't even decided on a camera body? Do you know what you'd like to take pictures of?

Whatever you'd buy would likely end up an expensive curio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

as endacil said seeing as you do not even have a camera yet not a great idea

you would be annoyed by lack of automatic focus and confused by aperture and mounting systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

Any chance to get any of them? Can i ask for a contact number?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

endacl wrote: »
    Posting up a load of scribbles isn't a great idea either...

I wouldn't buy any. A lens is only a great deal if you know what you want it to do. And you haven't even decided on a camera body? Do you know what you'd like to take pictures of?

Whatever you'd buy would likely end up an expensive curio.

Thanks for the reply, I know you're only looking out for me :)
    I know your advice is sound and right.Might change this post to " starter camera which one to buy :) "

sheesh wrote: »
    as endacil said seeing as you do not even have a camera yet not a great idea

you would be annoyed by lack of automatic focus and confused by aperture and mounting systems

Again I know you're right, been mounting gopro's for a long time now, hope thats what you meant when you said mounting systems,

As for aperture settings, is it the sort of thing that takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master?

• Advertisement

killym wrote: »
    Any chance to get any of them? Can i ask for a contact number?

Send me a pm with the ones you're interested in and I'll pass it onto him, Lives Very very remotely so doubt you would be able to pick them,

I did have a someone on Pm to tell me pick up the "Canon fit lenses, there's a couple there, the Rokinon and the 50m 1.8; for myself,

As I mentioned before getting a Very good price on these and I'm a sucker for anything for a good price, but aren't we all? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

DaraDali wrote: »
    Again I know you're right, been mounting gopro's for a long time now, hope thats what you meant when you said mounting systems,

As for aperture settings, is it the sort of thing that takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master?

He meant mounting as mounting lens on the actual camera :)

M42 is basically screw on lens for example.

You can buy decent digital slr for very little these days. And you can learn as much if you read on the basics.

There is so much information available these days that there is no need to buy vintage Russian Zenith camera with m42 lens to learn. You don't need it at all.

pm sent?

killym wrote: »
    pm sent?

Sent him a msg asking for a price on the lenses and asking could i forward the phone number online to ya but no reply....

its ok man, thanks for trying i might get a few of them but still it depents from him....

• Advertisement
Advertisement