Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behringer xenyx x2442 problem

Options
  • 15-03-2016 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 24 ichNinja

So I recently purchased a behringer x2442 mixer off thomann. I intend on using it at home as an audio interface, plugging the USB into my PC to record guitar, vocals etc. No speakers or anything connected, just USB, power and whatever I'm recording (normally XLR). I plugged my XLR mic into channel one, turned up the gain, volume fader, main mix fader, pressed down the main mix button on channel one and spoke into the mic. Nothing happened on the desk (like the lights that indicate level/clipping didn't light up). I tried again in another channel, same set up but nothing happened. I've been sitting around fiddling with stuff, looking online for solutions but I can't come up with anything, so I'm just wondering could anyone shed some light on the situation?
    Thanks in advance, Aidan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

ichNinja wrote: »
    So I recently purchased a behringer x2442 mixer off thomann. I intend on using it at home as an audio interface, plugging the USB into my PC to record guitar, vocals etc. No speakers or anything connected, just USB, power and whatever I'm recording (normally XLR). I plugged my XLR mic into channel one, turned up the gain, volume fader, main mix fader, pressed down the main mix button on channel one and spoke into the mic. Nothing happened on the desk (like the lights that indicate level/clipping didn't light up). I tried again in another channel, same set up but nothing happened. I've been sitting around fiddling with stuff, looking online for solutions but I can't come up with anything, so I'm just wondering could anyone shed some light on the situation?
    Thanks in advance, Aidan.

What model of mic is it?

Mics are usually either a 'dynamic' or 'condenser'.

Stop me if I'm stating something obvious to you, but if yours is a condenser then you may need to supply power to it from your mixer by engaging the 'phantom power'. This is normally done by pressing a button on the channel labelled '48v' or 'phantom'. Find out if it is a condenser first.

Could be one solution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think you got something that doesn't meet your requirements as the USB will only record a Stereo output. Did someone advise you to purchase the xenyx?

Just want to check as it hasn't really been stated, you know it won't be powered by the USB lead?

And if you don't have speakers connected to your audio interface, what do you intend to listen back on?

A bit late to the party now, but you should have gotten something from here that isn't a "mixing desk with USB"

http://www.thomann.de/ie/usb_audio_interfaces1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ichNinja

Beakflakes wrote: »
    What model of mic is it?

Mics are usually either a 'dynamic' or 'condenser'.

Stop me if I'm stating something obvious to you, but if yours is a condenser then you may need to supply power to it from your mixer by engaging the 'phantom power'. This is normally done by pressing a button on the channel labelled '48v' or 'phantom'. Find out if it is a condenser first.

Could be one solution.
    I was using an SM58 so no power was required, so tried it with 48v just to be sure but that's not the problem. Thanks for the reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ichNinja

I think you got something that doesn't meet your requirements as the USB will only record a Stereo output. Did someone advise you to purchase the xenyx?

Just want to check as it hasn't really been stated, you know it won't be powered by the USB lead?

And if you don't have speakers connected to your audio interface, what do you intend to listen back on?

A bit late to the party now, but you should have gotten something from here that isn't a "mixing desk with USB"

I got the desk primarily for live use but the fact it doubles up as an audio interfaces sealed the deal. What do you mean by it only records stereo output?

Yes I know that, I have it powered.

I have an amp connected to the stereo output on my PC and stereo monitors connected to that.

Thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ichNinja wrote: »
    I got the desk primarily for live use but the fact it doubles up as an audio interfaces sealed the deal. What do you mean by it only records stereo output?

Yes I know that, I have it powered.

I have an amp connected to the stereo output on my PC and stereo monitors connected to that.

Thanks for the reply

I don't expect It'll give you each Channel seperately in the DAW. Budget mixers with USB will be whatever goes through your Stereo Mix.

found a manual online that might help you out:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/660596/Behringer-Xenyx-X2442usb.html#manual

Edit:

I'm in a rush to get out right now. But it sounds like you are using the Mixer as input device and another audio device as output? Sometimes that can cause issues. Haven't read of many DAWs that handle that too well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement