Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Monitor

Options
  • 15-03-2016 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm picking up a second hand gaming rig soon enough. I'm not very informed when it comes to specs, particularly monitors. I'd appreciate any advice, cheers.

Specs are:
    Alienware x51 r1
    GTX 670 2GB
    i7 2600 3.4 ghz
    8gb ddr5 ram

My desk is fairly small so I'd like to do a single monitor for the moment. Might upgrade to dual monitor next year. I'm not certain on the size yet. I'm going to have a nose around PC world etc to get an idea of what size monitor will fit on my desk comfortably. For the moment let's assume 22' to 26'. Possibly bigger.

What sort of monitor should I be looking at? I assume 1080p is the best choice?
    Should I look for just DVI connection or is HDMI also important? Is there much of a difference?

Where is the best place to pick up a monitor? Are there many pitfalls with picking up a second hand monitor? Do they usually have a certain lifespan before the image quality degrades? Other than missing pixels, what else should I be wary of on a second hand monitor?

Any suggestions for sites to buy online or is it better to go to a bricks and mortar retailer?
    I'm not sure of budget yet, but i don't want to spend crazy money. Certainly below 200 if it all possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057569967/1

Have a look in that tread. Prices around 150.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015510P76/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457775044&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aoc+i2481fxh&dpPl=1&dpID=51TmdTAbXEL&ref=plSrch# this last one is 181. good spec monitor.

At the moment I'd stick to amazon if possible as they will most likely give you less hassle on returns. prices are so close to other sites that any savings are mostly negligible. Bricks and mortar are ok to get an idea of what you want but generally you will pay more for less. And their customer service will not necessarily be easier than returning to amazon in fact more so than not more hassle

You can actually pick up a decent Benq monitor for around 100 euro if needs be.

How much you getting pc for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Great advice, thanks.

I think i'll go with Amazon, and use parcel motel to get it delivered.
    I'll spend some time going through reviews this evening.

I just had a look at a 24' in a shop and it looked ideal. Any bigger would take over the desk I think.

How does the amazon returns policy work? I just box it back up and drop it into the local post office? Who pays for return postage?
    Is it better to buy direct from amazon or through a 3rd party on amazon?

Getting the PC for 450. What do you think?

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

450 is not bad it's getting on now. Not great but not terrible. Definitely beats a console thats for sure.

Find out what psu is in it. So you can maybe bump up the card down the line. Even finding what brand of gtx670 should give you an idea what room you have to manoeuvre.

I'v found amazon alot easier personally than shops on all counts third party sellers or not. And alot of people on here would agree.

Read up a little on monitors there is more to the different types than just 1080p. Things like newer tech screens for better colours and viewing angles. ips screens then ah-ips... Faster response times for gaming. **** like that.

So post any questions here about pc or monitor.

The psu is 330w and it's an nvidia gtx 670.

I've always had a sh1tty laptop for strategy games but want to have a go of a semi decent desktop to play more demanding games.

I'm dipping my toe in the water with this x51!

Might try my hand at some upgrading later in the year. I've been reading a bit about squeezing a GTX 970 into a r1 so that might be an option.
    Might be fun to take it apart and upgrade a component or two. It's been about 12 years since I've poked around inside a PC. Hopefully it's like riding a bike!!

Thanks for the monitor tips. More bedtime reading tonight!

Thanks for the tips.

I found a second hand Benq GL2450 for €60.

I'll use this for a few months and see how it goes.
    I can always upgrade later in the year.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement