Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC V's EIR in Shantalla

Options
  • 15-03-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of switching broadband providers from UPC to Eir.

It's a cost driven choice rather than performance issues etc.

I'm in the Shantalla/Highfield Park area, has anyone here got any experience of Eir broadband in this part of Galway city?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Eir have terrible customer support, when something goes wrong it takes forever to get them to do anything about it. The entirety of my contract with them has been spent trying to get them to fix day one problems and they'll use every excuse in the book when they're not simply ignoring you. You get bounced around from department to department constantly giving the same details over and over again until you just give up.

It's not worth any saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I'm following this thread because I'm interested in moving from UPC/Virgin due to the crap routers they stick you with. Thanks for this feedback ScumLord. Guess I won't be moving to Eir anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I lived for a while in Highfield Park with Eircom broadband. It was fine for me, but then I didn't have any issues to report at the time.
    I have had issue with their support but that was mainly when moving to a new house and not knowing the landline number so they could hook the BB onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm in that general area and have Eir broadband. It's fine but the modem they usually give out is pretty useless if you're relying on wireless. It's the zyxel f1000. I was getting 98mb on it wired but around 5mb wireless. I think they have a new one now however.I would only get Eir on condition they give you the newer modem and refuse the f1000 unless you have a seperate wireless router you want to use with it. I bought a new router myself and have no real problems with Eir since,no downtime at all,I get around 30mb wireless which isn't amazing but is an improvement.
    That said I've read others have lots of issues with UPC wireless too so maybe it's a case of none of them being perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mmmull

I'm in that general area and have Eir broadband. It's fine but the modem they usually give out is pretty useless if you're relying on wireless. It's the zyxel f1000...

I'm a new eir customer and received the Huawei F2000. I was with UPC before and their hardware was terrible for WiFi.
    First impressions of the F2000 are really good.

• Advertisement

mmmull wrote: »
    I'm a new eir customer and received the Huawei F2000. I was with UPC before and their hardware was terrible for WiFi.
    First impressions of the F2000 are really good.

That's great to hear, they sent me two f1000s and both were dreadful so it's definitely the modem, not that I got a bad one.

Is the wifi range good? Do you mind me asking what kind of wifi speeds you get?

Speedtest Results of my Samsung S4 connected to the F2000 5GHz Wifi.

So far the 5GHz has been stable and I have good reception in the entire house (which certainly wasn't the case with the UPC/VM equipment).

Speedtest Results of my Samsung S4 connected to the F2000 5GHz Wifi.

So far the 5GHz has been stable and I have good reception in the entire house (which certainly wasn't the case with the UPC/VM equipment).

Wow brilliant. Thanks for posting. I might get onto Eircom then and try and wheedle a new modem out of them!

I just wanted to come back here and report that the 2.4GHz is terrible, but the 5GHz WiFi works flawlessly so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I just wanted to come back here and report that the 2.4GHz is terrible, but the 5GHz WiFi works flawlessly so far.

Any chance the 2.4GHz is suffering from interference? An app like "Wifi Analyzer" on Android will show you the channels used by all nearby wifi routers and help you find one with minimum overlap.

• Advertisement

Any chance the 2.4GHz is suffering from interference? An app like "Wifi Analyzer" on Android will show you the channels used by all nearby wifi routers and help you find one with minimum overlap.
    Thanks for the troubleshooting attempt, it's not interference.

Advertisement