Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living close to the seaside

Options
  • 15-03-2016 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi All

I am looking for accommodation as I will be starting work in the Docklands soon. In my naivety I thought I might be able to rent out a room somewhere on the Dart line close to the seaside.

Can anyone recommend a seaside area that is quite close to a Dart station and also likely to have accommodation at prices that are not too exuberant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Raheny would be ideal. Kilbarrack too, because it would be cheaper (than Raheny)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Clontarf, Sutton, Howth, Bayside, Malahide and Portmarnock all have Dart stations and are all by the sea.

Unfortunately, being by the sea and being near a Dart station are the two biggest things that will drive the rental costs up. They are two very, very desirable attributes in a home & that affects the rents charged. The area around Bayside doesn't quite have the "poshness" factor that the other ones do, so it might be a good place to look for somewhere cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Clontarf, Sutton, Howth, Bayside, Malahide and Portmarnock all have Dart stations and are all by the sea.

Unfortunately, being by the sea and being near a Dart station are the two biggest things that will drive the rental costs up. They are two very, very desirable attributes in a home.

Clontarf is one of the hottest property markets in the city - its extremely sought after, and also eastpoint business park means theres no shortage of competition for rentals. I used to live there and moved because my place was being sold and anywhere else was stupid money, even a few years ago.

The others you mention are all quite far out, so depends on what lifestyle the OP is after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

It's an easy cycle to the docklands from Clontarf, Killester, Sutton, Bayside, even Howth.

There's a cyclepath all the way, and an even better one is being built.

Cycling will save you quite a lot of money in DART fares over the course of a year.

deandean wrote: »
    It's an easy cycle to the docklands from Clontarf, Killester, Sutton, Bayside, even Howth.

There's a cyclepath all the way, and an even better one is being built.

Cycling will save you quite a lot of money in DART fares over the course of a year.

It's not. Not all the time. It is so exposed, there can be strong winds, blowing in from the bay. On a nice summers day, with not much wind, cycling from Sutton to Fairview is utterly glorious. It can be a hard slog on a cold winters day, with the wind in your face.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It's not. Not all the time. It is so exposed, there can be strong winds, blowing in from the bay. On a nice summers day, with not much wind, cycling from Sutton to Fairview is utterly glorious. It can be a hard slog on a cold winters day, with the wind in your face.

You always have the option of using the Howth Road is its bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Raheny would be ideal. Kilbarrack too, because it would be cheaper (than Raheny)

Would you live in kilbarrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Would you live in kilbarrack!

I'm a working class Brit with an accent, my wife is a middle class anglo-irish Brit, my neighbours couldn't do enough for us, I've NEVER (and I'm from a fairly posh part of the SE of England) met more polite or well behaved kids, St Annes park is on the door step as is Bull Island. I can use my wifi when I'm sat at the DART station in the mornings drinking the coffee I just made and I'm at work in 20 minutes.

I think the question is: Why aren't you living in Kilbarrack?

OH an my mortgage is under €700 a month for a 4 bed semi detached house, €500 of which is paid by a lodger that wants to live by the sea.

The part of Kilbarrack, where the Kilbarrack Rd meets the coast road, is lovely. But the further away you get from the coast road, the less "nice" it can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The part of Kilbarrack, where the Kilbarrack Rd meets the coast road, is lovely. But the further away you get from the coast road, the less "nice" it can get.

I think you're thinking of Foxfield which is considered either to Foxfield or part of Raheny. The 'worst' parts of Kilbarrack (Further back from the coast) are actually Raheny proper. Further down the coast is Bayside.

Once you cross over the DART tracks it's a bit less desirbale but nothing to worry about. Go even furtherback into Edenmore, which again is grand you're back into Raheny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Ballybrack and Shankhill are also decent, rent not too off the wall, with lovely parks and beach walks right in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

There's a cycle training strategy that'll help anyone deal with those non-ideal days, called HTFU :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Well if you're willing to sacrifice not being that close to the sea there are areas like the more western parts of Raheny, Killester, Marino, Donnycarney etc. You could walk to the sea in about 20 mins from any of those, or cycle in 10. I'm living at home in the part of Artane closer to Raheny, till my own house in Edenmore is finished being done up (also close to sea!), and it takes me 10 minutes or less to cycle to the seafront by Clontarf village. I still feel like I live by the sea though.

Or you could try living under the sea...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well if you're willing to sacrifice not being that close to the sea there are areas like the more western parts of Raheny, Killester, Marino, Donnycarney etc. You could walk to the sea in about 20 mins from any of those, or cycle in 10. I'm living at home in the part of Artane closer to Raheny, till my own house in Edenmore is finished being done up (also close to sea!), and it takes me 10 minutes or less to cycle to the seafront by Clontarf village. I still feel like I live by the sea though.

Donaghmede would be another option.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Donaghmede would be another option.

Pushing the D13 agenda I see :pac:

Yintang wrote: »
    Ballybrack and Shankhill are also decent, rent not too off the wall, with lovely parks and beach walks right in the vicinity.

Shankill is great (Ballybrack slightly further to beach and Dart but not by much). Really difficult to get a place to rent there though. And I would consider prices fairly off the wall tbh.

Also 40 minutes to town on Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Train from balbriggan into town takes 50 mins,rentwise you'll get a lot more for your hard earned readies than anywhere on the dart line.

Bray could be an option too. It is a decent sized town too, so it would have a fair bit of accommodation inventory. It's a good hour into the city centre, so you aren't paying the higher rents to live near the stations that get you into town in 15-20 minutes. Greystones is an option too. It is the end of the southern Dart line. But its a smaller town than Bray, so there wouldn't be as many housing options. The Darts are less frequent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Train from balbriggan into town takes 50 mins,rentwise you'll get a lot more for your hard earned readies than anywhere on the dart line.

Also Rush, Lusk, Donabate are all on the train line, right by the sea and have nice beaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Well, I was extremely lucky. I got a room in Baldoyle for 400 pm in a fairly nice area. Don't give up on your (sort of) dreams is what I'm trying to say. (:

Good for you. Great part of the world, close to the sea, but without the horrendous prices of Clontarf, Howth etc etc. Great transport links too. I'm only up the road in Sutton. Holler if you have any questions about the area.

Advertisement