Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Titleist 910d2 to 915d2

• 15-03-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

been 4 years since a got the 910d2 and thinking about upgrading

but c.€400 is a lot and I don't want to do it if the results are the same.

has anyone here made the same move and if so how did you get on ?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Not the same move but i do have a 915D2 which I got second hand for 250.

Its a very good driver which you'd expect from Titleist obviously and the Diamana Blue shaft suits me quite well.

One thing I would say is the sweetspot seems low. I tee it a bit lower than I have done with previous drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Think shafts is where the biggest changes have happened, big difference in costs though between stock and custom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Thinking about making a similar switch myself. I find the 910 D2 balloons a bit into the wind regardless of what shaft I have in it (and I've tried a few!) Love the shape, sound and feel of the driver and it's great downwind. Has anybody noticed a lower flight with the 915 or would the D3 version be a better idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I made the same move. It was just me spoiling myself as I was playing the 910 the best I had ever driven the ball. But the ARC technology from a design and technical perspective got me. Then the reviews from the likes of Rick Shiels sold it to me, they were talking about serious gain (10 yards +). But most importantly the off centre hits was the most important thing for me. I'd be fairly random on strike on club face location , so anything helping across face was a big sell for me.
    I got it cheap , but the price of the club is ridiculous.

So , I haven't played it in summer, but off centre and almost at heel can be unreal drives.

If you are a good driver of the ball , hit the centre most of the time , I think the club is very similar to the 910.

The 910 was a brilliant club.

I'll know more in summer , temperatures and roll , get fitted, shafts are very different.

And after all that it looks amazing, sometimes that can play into it, but it is a game of confidence.

BTW your playing uneal now , jokingly, why do anything different ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I switched the week it came out, was moving from razr fit not the 910 but I agree with Fix the off centre hits are very forgiving.

When I had it on the launch monitor and hitting consistent swings it was 9 yards longer on average. But was the dispersion that sold me.

J

• Advertisement

Thanks for thoughts lads. Yeah, Im actually playing the 913 D3 at the moment, but only on loan. Prefer the look and feel of my D2 but have just found the 913 is just better into the wind.

Im kind of hopeful the 915 ARC feature might reduce the spin rate (read somewhere that it helps) and keep the ball a bit lower. Ready for an upgrade, but not 100% sold just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Thanks for the input.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the 910, I know it well and I'm comfortable with it.

But I'm Looking for some extra yardage (I'm not a big hitter) plus I'm due a little bonus this month, that got me started thinking about the upgrade. Oh and I do love a purchase and 4 years is quite a long time with the same driver (for me anyway).

I just don't want to regret a big spend - I think I'll look into doing a fitting and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Thanks for thoughts lads. Yeah, Im actually playing the 913 D3 at the moment, but only on loan. Prefer the look and feel of my D2 but have just found the 913 is just better into the wind.

Im kind of hopeful the 915 ARC feature might reduce the spin rate (read somewhere that it helps) and keep the ball a bit lower. Ready for an upgrade, but not 100% sold just yet!

If you are having spin issues I would recommend a fitting.
    My average spin went from 3000 to 2000 on a recent fitting with just a shaft change

alxmorgan wrote: »
    If you are having spin issues I would recommend a fitting.
    My average spin went from 3000 to 2000 on a recent fitting with just a shaft change

I did get fit for the 910! In carton in 2011. Feels like a long time ago now. Dont recall what my spin rate was, it was the 1st time Id ever gotten a fitting so I just said yes a lot!

Anyway, Id be of the opinion now that any club needs to be tested in a variety of proper playing conditions before you can get the whole picture. So it's chopping and changing for me. Even if I do get another fitting, I doubt Il ever buy a driver brand new again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Thanks for the input.

But I'm Looking for some extra yardage (I'm not a big hitter) plus I'm due a little bonus this month, that got me started thinking about the upgrade. Oh and I do love a purchase and 4 years is quite a long time with the same driver (for me anyway).

I just don't want to regret a big spend - I think I'll look into doing a fitting and take it from there.

Are you dead set on Titleist?

Reason I ask is that the general consensus across the web is that there are longer, lower spinning and more forgiving options available.

All of the following seem to be great options at the moment - Ping G LS, Cobra King Pro, XR16 Pro, Big Bertha 816 DBD

• Advertisement

I did get fit for the 910! In carton in 2011. Feels like a long time ago now. Dont recall what my spin rate was, it was the 1st time Id ever gotten a fitting so I just said yes a lot!

Anyway, Id be of the opinion now that any club needs to be tested in a variety of proper playing conditions before you can get the whole picture. So it's chopping and changing for me. Even if I do get another fitting, I doubt Il ever buy a driver brand new again.

I agree on all counts. I would say once you do not have a head which is high spinning then changing shafts is the most cost effective way to go with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I had never used a Titlesit club before this one but it's a class driver. Feels so solid and it seems like it just wants to go straight even if you put a ropey swing on it.

Was using an R11 before this and to be honest I'm not actually sure if the Titlesit is any longer or not, maybe slightly longer. But I'm a long hitter anyway so that's not the big concern for me in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Thanks for the input.

I switched from 910 D2 to 915 D2 last summer. Got the Rogue Black shaft with it, but couldn't get used to it, switched my old 910 shaft back into the 915 and was much happier - it was a shaft I had custom fit to me a couple of years back.

Anyhow..... IMO, a good strike with the 915 head does not go any further than the 910. I use Gamegolf, so was able to compare both over period of time. Same shaft, different heads. My average drive did increase by about 10-12 yards though, which didn't surprise me as the 915 is more forgiving on off-centre hits than the 910.

So.....unless you are regularly missing the sweetspot on your driver I wouldn't consider the head upgrade worth doing unless it was very cheap. As stated above, get custom fit for a shaft for your 910 and you'll get a better return. Better still, you should be able to compare your new shaft launch figures to the old before you hand over the money, so decide from them whether it's worth it. Insist on hitting your old shaft alongside the new during the fitting to see how realistic the figures you're getting are.

Also, the 917 will be out at the end of this year, so I expect the 915 will experience a price drop in the not too far future.

I agree on all counts. I would say once you do not have a head which is high spinning then changing shafts is the most cost effective way to go with this.

The low spinning head can bite you though. I tried an SLDR for a couple of months at the start of last year and hated it. The perfect strike deffo went further but anything less produced some fairly obnoxious drives.

Would be reluctant to leave Titleist on that basis, because at least having played with the 910 and the 913 I'd be confident I couldn't go too far wrong with the 915. Suppose I should really try the Callaway series or the Cobras but with adjustable shafts and settings available these days, it can all get a bit overwhelming :o

The low spinning head can bite you though. I tried an SLDR for a couple of months at the start of last year and hated it. The perfect strike deffo went further but anything less produced some fairly obnoxious drives.

Would be reluctant to leave Titleist on that basis, because at least having played with the 910 and the 913 I'd be confident I couldn't go too far wrong with the 915. Suppose I should really try the Callaway series or the Cobras but with adjustable shafts and settings available these days, it can all get a bit overwhelming :o

Yes but well known that SLDR head is very unforgiving
    R15 is low spin with more forgiveness. And of course almost all brands have low spin options now.

I am not saying the 910 D2 is high spin (I'm not sure) but I do think a fitting is the way to go.
    Regardless of the conditions you are playing in figures such as launch angle, spin, land angle will determine your ball flight largely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I read a fair bit of stuff over on GolfWRX and apparently the SLDR had a sweet spot about the size of a pea and is terrible on off centre hits so I wouldn't let that put you off - it's quite different from almost any other driver released in the recent past due to it's low forward centre of gravity

fitting booked for Sat morning

I'll let the computer decide

fitting booked for Sat morning

I'll let the computer decide

Know much about fitting numbers ?
    Been fitted twice. Second time knew what i was looking for and much happier with outcome.

Know much about fitting numbers ?
    Been fitted twice. Second time knew what i was looking for and much happier with outcome.

Yeah a little bit (smash, carry, spin, dispersion etc..)

I've only been fitted once - for irons last year - going to the same chap again

Yeah a little bit (smash, carry, spin, dispersion etc..)

I've only been fitted once - for irons last year - going to the same chap again

I'd be watching angle of attack (though that is more you), land angle (too steep means little run), spin for sure, launch angle.

Ideally as well I would mark the face so you can see where you are hitting it for each shot. Strike is king. Your numbers could all point to a nice draw but then you hit the heel and result is no draw. This also tells you how it goes when hit well and not so well so hints towards forgiveness

• Advertisement

very interesting fitting today.

Long story short - I'm switching to the new Ping G (SF Tec) driver

It was a no brainer based on the numbers

Collecting it on Wed :)

Care to share ?
    Numbers nerd here ;)

Care to share ?
    Numbers nerd here ;)

of course, from what I can remember the main points were:

average extra 20 yards carry (up to around 240)
    less spin rate down from high 3,000s to low 3,000s
    smash rate between 1.35 to 1.55
    pretty straight too
    really looking forward to getting it out on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

pretty straight too

Its a great Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

pretty straight too

If those numbers translate to the course it should make a huge difference. 20 yards is phenomenal. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Where did you go to get fitted?

pretty straight too

Very nice improvement.
    Spin change should make it far more piercing trajectory.
    Did you notice launch angle perchance ?

Where did you go to get fitted?

Joe Frawley @ McGuirks Airside - excellent fitter

Very nice improvement.
    Spin change should make it far more piercing trajectory.
    Did you notice launch angle perchance ?

16 degrees I think but I'm not 100% on that

• Advertisement

16 degrees I think but I'm not 100% on that

Interesting. I would have thought an even lower spin rate would have helped.

Did you see angle of attack ? If you hit down on it that might account for higher spin rate as opposed to just the club head, shaft combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

Big improvement. Will you give some feedback after a few rounds on the course.

I was fitted by Titleist in Carton for a 915 D3 driver with an Aldila shaft. Great club but for the benefit of anyone getting fitted I would offer two pieces of advice 1) start with and get stats for your own club first and finish with your own club again getting stats and 2) try to borrow the club/shaft spec and try it on the course before you buy as you cannot get a trial club from Titleist. I found that your stats improve as you loosen up after hitting several shots during the fitting so going back to your own driver at the end can tell a story.

In my experience there is very little difference between drivers when hit off the sweet spot and using a good shaft that suits you

http://www.golfwrx.com/352108/2016-gear-trials-best-drivers-club-test/

bmay529 wrote: »

will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Joe Frawley @ McGuirks Airside - excellent fitter

Thanks. Does he have a load of shafts as well as driver heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I was fitted by Titleist in Carton for a 915 D3 driver with an Aldila shaft. Great club but for the benefit of anyone getting fitted I would offer two pieces of advice 1) start with and get stats for your own club first and finish with your own club again getting stats and 2) try to borrow the club/shaft spec and try it on the course before you buy as you cannot get a trial club from Titleist. I found that your stats improve as you loosen up after hitting several shots during the fitting so going back to your own driver at the end can tell a story.

In my experience there is very little difference between drivers when hit off the sweet spot and using a good shaft that suits you

http://www.golfwrx.com/352108/2016-gear-trials-best-drivers-club-test/

I wonder how good of a review this is? If i was changing driver it would have been one of the top 3 i would have been looking at even before reading this article.

The one thing about fitting that you need to watch is the tolerance in driver heads. See this article

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-the-worst-kept-secret-in-golf/

At the end of the day it might not make a huge difference but the ideal scenario is to walk away with the exact club you used for the fitting if possible as it will remove the tolerance risk.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Does he have a load of shafts as well as driver heads?

tonnes of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

In my experience heads make a big difference, take the three 915 models, D2, D3, D4, you'll get much different results from these heads with the same loft and same shaft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

In my experience heads make a big difference, take the three 915 models, D2, D3, D4, you'll get much different results from theses heads with the same loft and same shaft

I didn't even know there was a D4 until I read your post 😵

Advertisement