Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this monstrosity is supposed to be?

• 15-03-2016 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

This has just appeared on Mallow Street and it's taking up half the footpath. Anyone know what it's supposed to be, or who is responsible for this kind of terrible street management?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Advertising board I'd be guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's either JC Decaux or Exterion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Who is responsible for this? Anyone know? You can't just come along and block a footpath with a big advertising hoarding. Or can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jaysus that's some obnoxious placing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

As long as there is enough room for a wheelchair to pass it can be allowed. There is a specified measurement, I'm not certain of it.

If you want to complain, you could ask the planning section if it is their concern. Certain advertising and temporary signs will be handled by the Engineers office rather than planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Eircom (or a subcontractor) have been removing phoneboxes in the last week or so. The above spot on Mallow Street was where the phoneboxes were until last week. They still seem to be working on all the sites where they used to be. Maybe we'll see these signs in a few places so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

moleyv wrote: »
    As long as there is enough room for a wheelchair to pass it can be allowed. There is a specified measurement, I'm not certain of it.

I think there are serious accessibility concerns with this. I work with people with disabilities and we regularly do travel training with our clients to the station through Mallow Street. It is an unnecessary obstacle for visually impaired people as well as leaving a very small space for wheelchair users to pass by.

They obviously plomped it there to draw attention from drivers sitting in traffic without even thinking of the individuals whom actually use the pavements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

panda100 wrote:
    They obviously plomped it there to draw attention from drivers sitting in traffic without even thinking of the individuals whom actually use the pavements.

Yeah look you might know the measurement better than myself then, but I think its somewhere between 800mm to 1500mm. It has to be completely unobstructed and useable.

There are normally issues with street furniture for cafes etc. As part of street furniture licensing this would have to be measured etc, but normally the tables manage to get pushed out further and further.

Same with advertising boards etc outside shops.

I can't speak exactly about Limerick, but in general, local authorities are more reactive than pro active for these things. Nothing will happen without complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

There were some terribly sited ones put in around Dublin when the bike scheme first launched.
    Following complaints to the council, some were removed where they were blocking sight lines on approaches to junctions.

Thread on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329822

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

zulutango wrote: »
    Who is responsible for this? Anyone know? You can't just come along and block a footpath with a big advertising hoarding. Or can you?

as long as there's an envelope in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Aside from the sheer ugliness and ignorance of the LCD advertising screen! That photo is just a perfect illustration of all that is wrong with so many of the city streets. Ugly, tired, cracked, narrow footpaths. Unsightly, heavy, obtrusive cabling and archaic streetlighting poles.

We just have to do better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Is there any chance at all that this is an EVA installation? http://www.eva.ie/still-the-barbarians ....

Is there any chance at all that this is an EVA installation? http://www.eva.ie/still-the-barbarians ....

I thought it might be that at first, simply because I thought it was too absurd to be anything else. But on closer inspection it looks quite like an advertising hoarding.

Then again, they say art is supposed to provoke a reaction, and this certainly does that, so maybe it is EV+A!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭lazyman

There is one outside the old dunnes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Is that one (outside Dunne's) on the site where the phonebox used to sit ?
    If so I would guess we can expect to see another one at the William St. entrance to BT and outside the Main Door of Bank of Ireland on O'Connell St. where the phoneboxes were removed in the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The old payphone kiosks had a electricity connection so it looks like these advertising pillars are using some of old the payphone locations. Makes sense, previous structure there so planning is easier get or might not be required and a power connection available.

A friend of mine contacted the council and it turns out there was no planning permission for them and the council is going to have them taken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The one on sarsfield street outside dunnes has a new pay phone on one side of the sign. Maybe they thought leaving a phone in situ would circumvent the planning laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jofspring wrote: »
    The one on sarsfield street outside dunnes has a new pay phone on one side of the sign. Maybe they thought leaving a phone in situ would circumvent the planning laws.

A new pay phone? Do they think people will use it? The last time I used one was in 2009 when my phone died! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'm sticking my head in the sand on this one...its art...has to be...no way anybody would try and pull off something as mad as this, digital advertising hoardings at eye level at traffic lights in busy motor and pedestrian junctions....no this art lads...if its not I'm going to start selling beers at traffic lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Good spot for an ambush/mugging. Stay well clear.

It looks at the moment to be advertising hoarding. It could even be one of those scrolling ones. Ya the phone on the opposite side is brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

380405.jpg

Nice bit of free advertising for Carol's Barber Shop and Mallow St Shoe Repairs in that pic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Does anyone else have an almost irresistible urge to throw a spirit level on it and line it up right??? I'm twitching here.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Does anyone else have an almost irresistible urge to throw a spirit level on it and line it up right??? I'm twitching here.

Have the urge to throw a rock at it :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Between the advertising wall and the gates fro the shop, it's like an obstacle course. Probably no worse than when the phonebox was there, though?

MarkR wrote: »
    Between the advertising wall and the gates fro the shop, it's like an obstacle course. Probably no worse than when the phonebox was there, though?

The Mallow Street one extends quite a bit beyond where the phone box was. Arguably the phone box shouldn't have been there either, but given it was somewhat of a public utility in the past I can see a reason for having it at one time.

The one on Sarsfield Street doesn't encroach so much on the pedestrian thoroughfare. It's still ugly as hell though.

I think, in general, there's a perverse logic going on here that says that because a phone box was there then it's appropriate to put large advertising hoardings there. It's really a huge leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It'll look great when the taggers get to work on it with their aerosol cans.

• Advertisement

The one on sarsfield street also looks lopsided

Advertisement