Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this monstrosity is supposed to be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Bad news. It appears that the council planning department gave 'approval in principle' for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I saw that one on Mallow St. this morning, the photo doesn't do justice to just how out of place it looks and how much of an obstruction it's going to be . I wonder if when it was being talked about they said it would only be as wide as the phone kiosks but then in practise they turned it sideways .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

One outside Brown Thomas on William Street too where the phoneboxes were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Even though phone boxes had advertising, it was ancillary to the main function. These things are horrid.

In no way is it a similar replacement to what was originally there.

Also acceptable in principle from a planning perspective, does not mean what is on the ground is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Does anyone else have an almost irresistible urge to throw a spirit level on it and line it up right??? I'm twitching here.
    Thank F**k Im not alone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

A new pay phone? Do they think people will use it? The last time I used one was in 2009 when my phone died! :pac:
    Well then, handy for people in that situation at least. Minimum cost is 2 euros now though. I suppose you need a high price to justify their existence.

Is this digital signage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Phone now removed from the one on Sarsfield Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Jofspring wrote: »
    Phone now removed from the one on Sarsfield Street.

I passed it a few hours ago and the phone is back.

Putting the phones in surely was a way of circumventing planning laws (as has already been suggested here in this thread). I reckon that the company who owns these has decided that the revenue generated from selling advertising space will more than cover the cost of maintaining the phone as well as the line rental fee (considering that it is still an Eircom line that it's connected to). Seriously, why would any company install a phone box anywhere in 2016 otherwise? Who do they think is going to use it? They stopped being relevant over ten years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I passed it a few hours ago and the phone is back.

Putting the phones in surely was a way of circumventing planning laws (as has already been suggested here in this thread). I reckon that the company who owns these has decided that the revenue generated from selling advertising space will more than cover the cost of maintaining the phone as well as the line rental fee (considering that it is still an Eircom line that it's connected to). Seriously, why would any company install a phone box anywhere in 2016 otherwise? Who do they think is going to use it? They stopped being relevant over ten years ago

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It seems BT are doing the same in the UK.

http://www.binfo.co.uk/2007/08/13/new-bt-phone-box/

They didn't go down too well over there either!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/migrationtemp/2813941/Locals-see-red-over-phone-boxes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Vanquished wrote: »
    That photo is just a perfect illustration of all that is wrong with so many of the city streets. Ugly, tired, cracked, narrow footpaths. Unsightly, heavy, obtrusive cabling and archaic streetlighting poles.

We just have to do better!

Thought Willie O'Dea had all that sorted out....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saw the new box by St Mary's credit union. Shouldn't be allowed to be so distracting near major junction like that. People need to be paying attention to the roads not adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

The whole structure is gone from Mallow St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The whole structure is gone from Mallow St

Just passed there and there's a few fellas in luminous vests looking at where it once stood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There's a telephone on the one outside Arthurs Quay now as well. Awful looking yokes.

Just passed there and there's a few fellas in luminous vests looking at where it once stood

What's likely happening here is the Council are trying to see how to make these work. I don't think they expected the backlash against them, but they're caught now because they've given a license for them so the only thing to do is to come up with a compromise solution. I'm not sure what the legal position would be in they rescinded the license. The Mallow Street sign was the most obnoxiously placed one so they may try and fix this and permit the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Looks like a great place for a mugger to lean against, waiting for someone likely to rob as they pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Between these signs going up, the €18m bridge that no one wants, some of the out of style houses that have been popping up in older estates and event management companies with no experience running major Limerick events, you'd have to wonder what is going on in the council. Money talks, nepotism, something else??

Jofspring wrote: »
    Between these signs going up, the €18m bridge that no one wants, some of the out of style houses that have been popping up in older estates and event management companies with no experience running major Limerick events, you'd have to wonder what is going on in the council. Money talks, nepotism, something else??

At some point the finger is going to be pointed at Conn Murray, the CEO, and questions will be asked as to what kind of show he is running. It's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

One currently under construction on Athlunkard St. Spot outside the credit union where the phone box was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

One currently under construction on Athlunkard St. Spot outside the credit union where the phone box was.
    There's one on Lower Gerald Griffin Street beside the old Aib. Also

oQSR5dg.jpg?1
    :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

adaminho wrote: »
    There's one on Lower Gerald Griffin Street beside the old Aib. Also

:D:D:D:D

That's brilliant :D, I for one welcome poxy ugly billborard, our new advertising overlord :pac: They really are just asking to be graffitied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

When they build that new foot-bridge, they'll probably squeeze one of them in somewhere as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

zulutango wrote: »
    This has just appeared on Mallow Street and it's taking up half the footpath. Anyone know what it's supposed to be, or who is responsible for this kind of terrible street management?
    Whatever it is, half of Mallow is dug up today and there is a fibre jointing crew working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

There's a new big building going up in the site across from the fire brigade with an image showing what it will look like when completed - Looks massive and will incorporate some of the old parts of the existing buildings. Does anyone know what it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

There's a new big building going up in the site across from the fire brigade with an image showing what it will look like when completed - Looks massive and will incorporate some of the old parts of the existing buildings. Does anyone know what it will be?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/129477/Limerick-set-to-get-new-criminal.html

New Courthouses

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

gotasmoke wrote: »

It's not very imaginative, looks like a couple of shoe boxes - except for the parts of the old building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Christ that's hideous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It's not very imaginative, looks like a couple of shoe boxes - except for the parts of the old building.
    It's an improvement on the city hall / courts plonked next to the castle IMO. That's not saying much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Punkyblip wrote: »
    380405.jpg

Nice bit of free advertising for Carol's Barber Shop and Mallow St Shoe Repairs in that pic :)
    i hope carol looks better than that sign, otherwise she only gets buisness at holloween

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Does anyone else have an almost irresistible urge to throw a spirit level on it and line it up right??? I'm twitching here.
    or even use ones eyes when erecting it, but then the legs are probably un ajustible

Advertisement