Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Aldi bike gear

• 15-03-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Aldi Have some bike gear in store from Sunday 20th. Boots, gloves, satnav,base layers etc if anyone is interested.
    aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-20-mar/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

This is cracking gear, still have the jacket and it's 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

gerrowadat wrote: »
    This is cracking gear, still have the jacket and it's 100%

The textile jacket and/or textile pants you have is not on sale this year from Aldi.
    Its a new for 1016 leather jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Ah nice. Well, if the quality of the textiles is anything to go by this should be fair dacent.

The bottoms are also denims, which are handy for work in weather like this, I've been wearing my RST ones round the office.

• Advertisement

The compression base layer is good,warm,breathable,figure hugging and a good bit of kit.Well worth the money

The gloves,I would steer well clear of them,they are absolute muck.They have no real protection in them and fall to bits very fast

The boots are average at best.Tried a pair last year and they let in water in the 1st heavy rain shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've only used the gloves, and apart from coldest winter months I wear them all the time.

Mine are still in great condition, in fact they've broken in really nice.

I originally bought them as a budget standby pair, they were tight (very tight) so I wore them to break them in and stuck with them. But I'd imagine in the event of a crash they'd offer minimal palm protection.

The base layers are great too, and I love Aldi bike and cycling socks.

The balaclava & neck warmers are great too, I've mine years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I picked up the gear last year and have done eight months daily commuting in them.

Last year's textile jacket and pants are DEADLY. Great waterproofing, warm and good protection.
    The gloves are lovely for decent weather, but admittedly not great for cold weather. Still the only pair I have so I just had to grin and bear it.
    The balaclava has served me well, and the boots have done a great job too.

Can't speak for this year's leather jacket or jeans but I'll be tempted to give them a try, and will be picking up another pair of gloves and maybe the base layers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Are the boots any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Any idea if that bluetooth headset will be worth picking up? Or would it be better idea to just take the plunge and get a Sena?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Are the boots any use?

You've two opinions above already.

He really tore Aldi a new one in that video,didint he..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

just seen this thread there , is the WD40 chain wax, lube and cleaner worth getting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

pudzey101 wrote: »
    just seen this thread there , is the WD40 chain wax, lube and cleaner worth getting ?

Honestly no, I am not a huge fan of WD40 stuff. Dont get me wrong it has its uses but there are far more effective methods that cost very very little to clean and lube a chain.

TBH, I aint a fan of wax on a chain anyway.....;)

pudzey101 wrote: »

Yes its grand stuff.

The Balaclava and neck warmers are sh*t. The socks are LOVELY, I didn't check out anything else.

I bought socks & WD40 products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I tried out the wd40 set of products a while back when Halfords had a clearance sale on them. I found them pretty good to be honest.

But specifically for cleaning a chain, as Wonda said, there is far cheaper ways than using chain cleaner. Personally, I mix some kerosene with shampoo and use a chain brush. The reason I mix it with the shampoo if its way easier to rinse off the kerosene and mixing it doesn't seem to diminish at all the cleaning power of the kerosene

For lubing the bike chain I use Rockoil. It has more or less no fling

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Are the waterproofs worth having?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had a look at the waterproof trousers, way overpriced at 29.99, go to a camping shop for a tenner or so instead.

Didn't think the boots were of any quality at all so didn't buy.

I already use the WD40 chain wax and think it's better than Sdoc100 I was using before, and cheaper in the big can, but the small cans at 4.99 each in Aldi are poor value

Gloves looked very thin even for summer gloves, poor quality leather, can't imagine them standing up to much of a slide.

Scrap the cap!

Had a look at the waterproof trousers, way overpriced at 29.99, go to a camping shop for a tenner or so instead.

Didn't think the boots were of any quality at all so didn't buy.

I already use the WD40 chain wax and think it's better than Sdoc100 I was using before, and cheaper in the big can, but the small cans at 4.99 each in Aldi are poor value

Gloves looked very thin even for summer gloves, poor quality leather, can't imagine them standing up to much of a slide.

The rain jacket/leggings are the same price as Richa rain warrior stuff.

The Aldi leggings are better quality than the Richa.
    Aldi leggings have a pocket on each side.
    Adjustable velcro tabs on the bottoms and have wider opening that the Richa.
    Aldi leggings are easier to get on over my boots.
    Aldi also come with elastic boot straps aswell,so they wont ride up your leg when using them on the bike.

Aldi leggings are also much longer in the leg length meaning that you have more comfort when sat on the bike.

Thats my comparison of them to my Richa rain warrior leggings for the same price.

I wouldnt touch the gloves or boots too,no real protection in them.

• Advertisement

I bought mine up in Aldi in Northern Ireland when I was up in Crossans getting my goretex boots.

Worked out cheaper that way,only 21 euro 50 cents.:)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-waterproof-trousers/p/068133016537500

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

No Aldi in northern ireland, maybe you mean dundalk .

mecanno37 wrote: »
    No Aldi in northern ireland, maybe you mean dundalk .

Sorry Im getting seriously mixed up,tiredness and a beer or 5 on me the other night.:pac::(
    I got the leggings in Aldi last Sunday in the UK,Feltham to be exact.
    Worked out at just over 21 euro 50 cents,compared to 30 euro here in Ireland.
    I was up in Crossans on Tuesday morning to collect the goretex boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

is this still available?

pittsburgh wrote: »
    is this still available?

Yes,but most of the gear will be bought up at this stage.

My local store here in North Dublin still had a few sets of rain gear in large and x-large,cans of WD40 and neck warmers.
    Few leather jackets and bike covers left too.
    That was yesterday.

I allways notice that small and medium sizes are the most popular sizes in this gear.

Advertisement