Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer software and operating system too new SSD

Options
  • 15-03-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Straight forward question really. I just got a new SSD for my MacBook Pro. Can I clone my old HDD and move everything over in one go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yes! You will need software (like Norton Ghost or similar) and some way to connect the new SSD to the macbook, like a USB to sata adapter. Some SSDs would come with the adapter and the software.
    Something like this, though do a bit more research than my quick google. http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Serial-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00Q4W3262/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=00C2KZ90KPKRJS4WX511

Edit: My brother used Acronis in order to clone his drive, I'm not sure what works best so do some googling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

I have just decided to start from scratch and install everything fresh on my SSD. How do I go about doing that. Is the OSX not semi pre installed on the original HDD? Can I just make the SSD my bootable drive then install OSX on it and wipe the HDD after

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/upgrade-your-macbook-install-ssd-hard-drive/

Looks like it's super easy tbh! I don't know how you would go about doing it cleanly as I have no experience with Mac

All I had to do was download the operating system from the App Store and put it into a USB. Didn't bother cloning just did it fresh

Ah awesome, will remember that for the future. Glad you got it working!

• Advertisement

Iwould say my MacBook is easily 3 - 3 times faster. Thanks for all the help. One final question :) Im looking to get another 2gbs of ram to max out the speed so I need a 4gb to replace my 2gb. Price wise its coming in around 30 - 40 euro with postage. Might I find it somewhere cheaper?

DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz 204-pin SODIMM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No its a 4GB one that im looking for. Have 6GB in it already so need to replace the 2gb with a 4gb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

About 30-35 is the best you'll do I'd say then so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You could try memory c - got an email today saying 10% off site wide with code 'easter10'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

No need to attempt to clone the drive btw.
    Since it's a macbook Pro, you can just backup using TimeMachine and restore it.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    You could try memory c - got an email today saying 10% off site wide with code 'easter10'

Is this the right one?

https://www.memoryc.ie/computermemory/ddr3sodimm/4gbhyperam1066mhzpc38500laptopmemorymodulecl7.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From bitter experience helping someone upgrade the memory in an old Macbook, I'd be very cautious. Newer models might be better but this one was extremely picky about what it would accept. We got through 3 different, identically specc'ed, modules before we found one that the thing would accept. MemoryC were very helpful during the whole ordeal though, and them being local helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

try www.crucial.co.uk

They have a tool that you can download and will ensure that you are getting the correct memory. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with a 512BG SSD hard drive and 16GB of RAM. RAM makes a huge difference to overall performance.

I gave them an email just to be sure and might just give them a call too. Thanks for the heads up

€21 with free delivery. Thanks for the help guys :)

Advertisement