Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Mod Experimental Physics - teaching eligibility

• 15-03-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I've a query I have been mulling over for a while.
    The answer may require simply providing me with a link to some section of the teaching council of Ireland website.

My primary degree was in Experimental Physics in the late 1980s, B.A Mod Hons 2.1 degree in TCD.
    I would have taken Physics/Maths/Chemistry for 2yrs and then did Experimental Physics subjects for final 2 years along with mathematics modules required for that degree.
    Theoretical Physics grads in my year had a much higher component of Maths modules in yrs 3 and 4.

Just wondering what secondary school subjects I would be ruled in or out of teaching were I to get a HDip, hypothetically.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Contact the teaching council, or look up their website, they are the people who decide what your qualifications allow you to teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

if your degree course isn't on the list then youll habe to get it checked by TC. Which means getting transcripts of results/modules taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What is a BA Mod? Versus a BA or a BSc? Is it particular to TCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

By the sounds of things, you'd be qualified to teach physics, junior science and probably the physics and chemistry combined course (I understand you need a degree in one and two years of the other). You're unlikely to have enough maths to satisfy the teaching council's requirements and you don't have enough chemistry to qualify to teach that.

As others have said though, you'd have to check with the TC to be sure of any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I've the exact same degree as you, qualified in 2013.

You can teach junior Science, senior Physics and Physics and Chemistry.

With it being 2 years for a masters + additional time to get your Maths qualification, I'd think long and hard about joining the profession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement