Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Paddys day whilst outside of Ireland.

Options
  • 15-03-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Some details:
    Company is based in Ireland,
    my contract doesn't cover travel,
    I don't normally work public holiday,
    employer doesn't request public holiday cover,
    Rest off my team will be off on Patricks Day

Working in the UK over the next week. I'm expected to work on St Patrick day.
    My normal hours are 9am to 6pm, we don't work public holidays, and the rest of the team will be off on Paddys day.
    I don't travel much with work.

I haven't worked a bank holiday with the company. My contract doesn't cover public holidays whilst abroad.

I have checked http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Is it a case that I now lose the day and also don't receive OT for working Paddys day?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you asked your manager if you will get extra pay or time in lieu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Nabber wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Some details:
    Company is based in Ireland,
    my contract doesn't cover travel,
    I don't normally work public holiday,
    employer doesn't request public holiday cover,
    Rest off my team will be off on Patricks Day

Working in the UK over the next week. I'm expected to work on St Patrick day.
    My normal hours are 9am to 6pm, we don't work public holidays, and the rest of the team will be off on Paddys day.
    I don't travel much with work.

I haven't worked a bank holiday with the company. My contract doesn't cover public holidays whilst abroad.

I have checked http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Is it a case that I now lose the day and also don't receive OT for working Paddys day?

OP I have been in similar situations in the past. I think I got 1.5 or 2 days in lieu. My contract didn't cover working public holidays or overtime. Common sense generally prevails

Advertisement