Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Speed-Guy Martin V David Coulthard

• 15-03-2016 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

This Thursday night at 9pm on Channel 4.
    Should be interesting.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Looks great. Cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Guy Martin always does great programmes, his doc on the Spitfire renovation was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Yeah saw it last week. Loved all the attention to detail the put in. It was Riveting!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

neildyr wrote: »
    Yeah saw it last week. Loved all the attention to detail the put in. It was Riveting!!!!

Irish Spitfires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks for the heads up OP. Looking forward to watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Guy Martin always does great programmes, his doc on the Spitfire renovation was brilliant.

Certainly does, when he went missing from the tt, after being fúcked sky high into a field and coming out of it alive was spectacular :)

Not sure he meant it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just starting now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I enjoyed the programme. The bike vs an f1 car is not really like for like but it was good to watch. I used to be a big f1 fan but when Jordan left I lost interest. I'm going to try and rekindle my interest in f1 this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

As a big fan of bike racing and F1 I have to say I really enjoyed it. Was done in good spirits. Both chaps are a good laugh.

I knew the F1 car would spank the bike. It would spank any bike. Physics innit!

Felt like they set up the slalom test just to give the bike a win :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm sure the results would have been the same maybe, but why didn't they use a motogp bike....and use a current rider,say Bradley Smith .....I like Guy Martin but I feel he plays the village idiot a bit too much..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm sure the results would have been the same maybe, but why didn't they use a motogp bike....and use a current rider,say Bradley Smith .....I like Guy Martin but I feel he plays the village idiot a bit too much..

It wouldn't be guy Martins speed then. I watch it because it's him more than anything. Would probably watch him building a wall once he was talking

CptMackey wrote: »
    It wouldn't be guy Martins speed then. I watch it because it's him more than anything. Would probably watch him building a wall once he was talking

True also, but I think the whole idea of a stock bike (roughly) up against a top of the class race car was always going to be a nonsense....
    It would have been better to see the bike up against a touring or rally car imo..and Coultard describing Guy as "a national treasure" was a bit condescending. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Noticed the f1 car was running intermediate tyres on dry. May have made a bit of difference..
    Pretty good show tho. Watch most stuff guy puts out. Enjoy watching him if honest !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

4 wheels and 3 times the power the car was going to spank any bike, the MotoGP time around Silverstone is also 30 seconds slower than F1. For the drag race they didn't use slicks on the car, that would have made a big difference at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best thing about GM is the fact that he is bringing bikes back into the public conciousness again, for too long there has been nothing about bikes, bikers or even results, this is making people aware that Britain and Ireland have a long and proud tradition of bike racing and motorsport in general.
    It can't hurt that GM is fairly good at being the average man as well. People relate more to someone like that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Maybe in UK, but how many people in Ireland outside of the biking community would know who Guy Martin is?
    Sweet F all.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Maybe in UK, but how many people in Ireland outside of the biking community would know who Guy Martin is?
    Sweet F all.

..or care , and i dont think he'll convert any non-bikers either....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can anything beat an F1 car around a track?
    The beauty of bikes is that €5k will get you a machine that will do close to 200mph and is grand for the commute to work too.

Cienciano wrote: »

With the budgets in F1 I'd hope not, the lowest team in F1 spends more than the top 2 in MotoGP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

The beauty of bikes is that €5k will get you a machine that will do close to 200mph and is grand for the commute to work too.

Nothing I'd say. Maybe a rally car would have been a better challenge. Looking forward to next week's one.

• Advertisement

o.

A better fi car........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

What about on a straight?

Turbo Hayabusa or ZZR1400 could take a F1 car on a straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

After posting about it,I only went and missed the bloody programme.

Guy Martin does the wall of death top speed run live on Channel 4 on Easter Sunday night,I think.

As per what Patrick Fürstenhoff aka "Ghostrider" and Gary Rothwell show here.:D

After posting about it,I only went and missed the bloody programme.

Guy Martin does the wall of death top speed run live on Channel 4 on Easter Sunday night,I think.

It'll be on 4OD and last time I checked it wasn't region locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sweet F all.

Loads actually none of my mates are bikers what so ever and they all watch him on Channel 4.

Wall of death is actually on Easter Monday night,Live on Channel 4.

I said Sunday earlier on,my bad.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

You sure? Would take some rider to keep traction. Reckon the F1 car would pull away above 150mph. Especially in low drag config.

• Advertisement

You sure? Would take some rider to keep traction. Reckon the F1 car would pull away above 150mph. Especially in low drag config.

The speed record for a turbobusa is 448 km/hr. It had 650 rwhp.

What makes F1 cars special is the speeds they can maintain through corners. Lots of dedicated drag bikes and cars would smoke them in a straight line.

Advertisement