Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Niska wrote: »
    Harrison injured his shoulder while rehearsing a fight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57586672

This news brought a smile to my face because Ford is still willing to as much as possible of the action and stunts himself.

Very glad it isn’t serious like how he was hurt making the Star Wars sequel (which wasn’t worth it to be honest).

Tony EH wrote: »
    Disney's Galaxy's Edge theme park was an unmitigated disaster. But the main reason, as I understand it, was the Star Wars "period" they chose to set it in. They found that few people were actually interested in visiting a Star Wars theme park that didn't include the most popular parts of it, like the original stuff.

If you go to a Star Wars theme park, you'd be expecting to find Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader at least knocking about somewhere.

The simple fact is that "old" Star Wars has an enduring appeal that the "new" stuff sorely lacks. The original Star Wars elements have stood the test of time, while the Diswars is a flash in the pan. It's telling that Disney's biggest successes, in terms of positive feedback, are 'Rogue One' and 'The Mandalorian', both of which draw very heavily from the original movies.

I have heard it being called a failure before but if there actual numbers to show it has been a flop?

I knew it was geared towards the Sequels (makes sense they would want it like that to both promote and gain from the latest movies*) but I assumed there was Vader, etc. in there too.

* That said once the Sequels were coming to an end and it become obvious many people are meh about the characters they should have shifted to OT Star Wars. In fact I was very surprised that with how well Mandolorian has done that they didn’t just switch the whole story of the place over to Mando and the Child. And also surprised they did ask Favereau and Filoni to use the park to film an episode.

I donplan to go someday but if it was Mando and Grogu I would literally drop everything and get on a plane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have heard it being called a failure before but if there actual numbers to show it has been a flop?

Yes.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt3778644/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

Didn't even hit $400 million worldwide on an official $275 million budget. That's nowhere close to breaking even in modern terms, while no doubt projections were for much higher. And if rumours are to be believed, the production budget was bigger again, more like $350m given 80% of the film was reshot by Ron Howard.

So while we don't know just how much of a flop it was, it was a definitive flop for Disney and arguably killed the spin-off films cold - perhaps even precipitating the pivot to TV. Originally, we were supposed to get a boba fett and Obi wan films after Solo, instead they're now to be TV series.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt3778644/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

Didn't even hit $400 million worldwide on an official $275 million budget. That's nowhere close to breaking even in modern terms, while no doubt projections were for much higher. And if rumours are to be believed, the production budget was bigger again, more like $350m given 80% of the film was reshot by Ron Howard.

So while we don't know just how much of a flop it was, it was a definitive flop for Disney and arguably killed the spin-off films cold - perhaps even precipitating the pivot to TV. Originally, we were supposed to get a boba fett and Obi wan films after Solo, instead they're now to be TV series.

My post and the post I replying to has nothing to do twitch then Solo movie or it’s box office.

I’m baffled as to how you think it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, misread. Don't worry about it

• Advertisement

Yup, misread. Don't worry about it

I don’t know why you think I’m worried but how can you have misread the whole post?

It was clearly about the Star Wars park. Never even mentioned Solo.

I don’t think you actually read the post. You saw the first line and jumped to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's numbers around I'm sure and, no, I'm not looking for them cos I don't care all that much. Plus, IIRC, the person in charge of themeparks was fired a couple of years ago because of it. If you're really interested, there's probably info on the web to dig into. But Galaxy's Edge has been generally viewed as a failure since it opened. Parts of it seem to be well put together, but it's an empty experience. So, in that respect, it appears reflective of Disney's Star Wars over all, I spose.

There's numbers around I'm sure and, no, I'm not looking for them cos I don't care all that much. Plus, IIRC, the person in charge of themeparks was fired a couple of years ago because of it. If you're really interested, there's probably info on the web to dig into. But Galaxy's Edge has been generally viewed as a failure since it opened. Parts of it seem to be well put together, but it's an empty experience. So, in that respect, it appears reflective of Disney's Star Wars over all, I spose.

Since you said it was a failure I thought you had seen these numbers but it appears you don’t actually know at all if the park is a financial flop.

So the comment is exactly like the others I mentioned - imagined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Enough of the petty bickering, thanks. Back to discussing the film or at least Indiana Jones in general rather than more tangents about Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Since you said it was a failure I thought you had seen these numbers but it appears you don’t actually know at all if the park is a financial flop.

So the comment is exactly like the others I mentioned - imagined.

I don't care.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

I don't care.

tenor.gif

That is a long post for something that you don’t care about.

Mod note: Enough of the petty bickering, thanks. Back to discussing the film or at least Indiana Jones in general rather than more tangents about Star Wars.

No bickering in my part but a fair point.

I came to post about Ford getting hurt. With some the harping in about star wars I forget it was a thread about Indiana Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Dude, please use Multiquote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'm surprised Ford got injured. He's 78 years old. I know he's in good shape for his age, but honestly I don't want to see any action scene they manage to cut around him. I'm thinking of De Niro in The Irishman.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Dude, please use Multiquote.

Is this a post to me?

Why would I need multiquote when I am responding to one post?

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm surprised Ford got injured. He's 78 years old. I know he's in good shape for his age, but honestly I don't want to see any action scene they manage to cut around him. I'm thinking of De Niro in The Irishman.

Anyone can be hurt regardless of age or fitness. For all we know it is just a pulled muscle.

mikhail wrote: »

He had that set door drop down on him during Force Awakens, while according to himself he accidentally punched Ryan Gosling for real during the filming of Blade Runner 2049. Heck you got back to that scar he got during a car-crash, his various flying accidents and one wonders is Ford just one of those freakily accident-prone people.
    Is this a post to me?

Why would I need multiquote when I am responding to one post?

It's polite and an informal commonality around Boards; reduces the noise on a thread too, if a single user doesn't post 3, 4 replies in succession. Makes it easier to read :)
    I don’t know why you think I’m worried but how can you have misread the whole post?

It was clearly about the Star Wars park. Never even mentioned Solo.

I don’t think you actually read the post. You saw the first line and jumped to conclusions.

Ok. Sure. Tony & I had been talking about Solo in an earlier segue, it was late at night and I was tired. Like I said, don't worry about it, ain't a thing :)

Mostly I was curious cos I never got around to checking out the actual numbers on Solo and yikesarooney, they syre were bad (obviously off-topic as mentioned by JU)

He had that set door drop down on him during Force Awakens, while according to himself he accidentally punched Ryan Gosling for real during the filming of Blade Runner 2049. Heck you got back to that scar he got during a car-crash, his various flying accidents and one wonders is Ford just one of those freakily accident-prone people.

It's polite and an informal commonality around Boards; reduces the noise on a thread too, if a single user doesn't post 3, 4 replies in succession. Makes it easier to read :)

Ok. Sure. Tony & I had been talking about Solo in an earlier segue, it was late at night and I was tired. Like I said, don't worry about it, ain't a thing :)

Mostly I was curious cos I never got around to checking out the actual numbers on Solo and yikesarooney, they syre were bad (obviously off-topic as mentioned by JU)

It wasn’t late at night.

And I would consider it impolite to ignore a moderator when he or she says stop going off on tangents and stay on the topic of thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Folks, stay on topic please. Thanks.

Temple of Doom hat sells at auction for $300,000. Some money for a fedora probably bought for buttons fadó.

https://news.yahoo.com/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-hat-auction-271000-154042690.html

• Advertisement

Temple of Doom hat sells at auction for $300,000. Some money for a fedora probably bought for buttons fadó.

https://news.yahoo.com/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-hat-auction-271000-154042690.html

It wouldn’t have been the only hat used during filming. They must go through several hats, jackets, trousers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

He's always been a hands-on, do his own stunts type of guy. Wasn't he a carpenter just before Star Wars? Doing his own stunts is all well and good with a younger man but near 80 I don't think it's the best thing to do.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's still "a man's man" at heart sort just doesn't want to accept his age and since he has star power the studios would give in to him a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Ford injured his back making Temple of Doom and some of his scenes were filmed using doubles while he recuperated. Saw photos of him wandering around with his arm in a sling, hopefully back filming before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Is there anything you can take for your woke tourettes?

Well, given some of the movie is set in 1969, the big social issues at the time included the anti Vietnam war campaign, the civil rights movement, feminism/women’s rights, to name but some. 1969 was probably the most ‘Woke’ year in history !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Time to see how well the new site's ignore function works.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Mangold and Antonio Banderas are in

They're in Glasgow at the moment, the city doing what it does best: mimicking an American city for a film shoot...

Harrison Ford has resumed filming again 👍

• Advertisement

Gosh, a 2+ month delay. Suppose the man is the age he is.

Advertisement