Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Comments

• They shoulda just gone with Fillion, back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Apparently, the new release date for this is July 2021

b73yr9j1euw21.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I don't think there are many films being worked on for which I have lower expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't think there are many films being worked on for which I have lower expectations.

True, but I will still go see it......if it actually happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

silverharp wrote: »

Ford the bollox will probably want Indy killed off like Han!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,725 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably if they're going to acknowledge the age of Harrison Ford, it'll be set in the 1960s, with the Soviets as antagonists again.

Going to go out on a limb, and say that if this comes to pass it'll be a riff on Last Crusade with a recast Mutt (Chris Pratt?) rescuing Indy from the clutches of Soviets Up to No Good. Can't see Spielberg coming back again, so it'll be some Trevorrow esque director trying to ape the masters style.

Its a difficult one, he is too old to do a swashbuckling role, if he is just the ride along prof with some assembled scooby team it will be a bit generic.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Its a difficult one, he is too old to do a swashbuckling role, if he is just the ride along prof with some assembled scooby team it will be a bit generic.
    He'd be literally playing an older Sean Connery role from the last crusade with this new movie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going to go out on a limb, and say that if this comes to pass it'll be a riff on Last Crusade with a recast Mutt (Chris Pratt?) rescuing Indy from the clutches of Soviets Up to No Good. Can't see Spielberg coming back again, so it'll be some Trevorrow esque director trying to ape the masters style.
    Or JJ Abrams Presents: The Jones Awakens. :pac:

Should have mailed the script to the Marxsh Brothers!

They misfired big time with Shia LaBeouf so they need to get whatever "young gun" right this time. Chris Pratt is too obvious for me (and his overt religiosity annoys me). Will Disney think outside of the box? Hmmm.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »

They misfired big time with Shia LaBeouf so they need to get whatever "young gun" right this time. Chris Pratt is too obvious for me (and his overt religiosity annoys me). Will Disney think outside of the box? Hmmm.

If its Disney and current year, wont it need to be a female lead?, at the end when Jones dies, she takes his signature hat puts it on, looks wistfully into the distance and Laura Crofts herself into the sunset.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,725 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of my favourite film tidbits is that Connery & Ford are only 7 years apart from each other, yet played father & son in Last Crusade.

I'd be honestly very surprised if this happens at all; too many variables that need to be just right, and not like audiences aren't already on edge about a new Indy film after number 4. Everyone you'd ant to return for that did, and was still ... controversial. I'm not even sure who in-front or behind the lens Disney could hire that'd keep fans on-side; if they give it to some workaday director & scriptwriter you may forget about it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Chris Pine did Captain Kirk well he'd do a good Indy

Chris Pine did Captain Kirk well he'd do a good Indy
    Except Harrison Ford is still Indy!
    And they did the long-lost son thing in the last movie so they'll need to inject new blood in some other way.
    If its Disney and current year, wont it need to be a female lead?, at the end when Jones dies, she takes his signature hat puts it on, looks wistfully into the distance and Laura Crofts herself into the sunset.
    I'd be down with a female sidekick... as long as that final scene never happened. And she was hot (don't tell Twitter). :pac:

I'd be down with a female sidekick... as long as that final scene never happened. And she was hot (don't tell Twitter). :pac:

do Disney do hot, certainly wont be Angelina Jolie hot? at best cute nerdy type who excels in every area of science needed to move the story on, who will get to correct Jones at every occasion and erm maybe she will get to fix the compressor on his whip. They will probably throw in the scene where the university security guy doesn't recognise him :D.... this stuff writes itself

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Oh good. Another reboot. I hope that Jason Clarke or Charlie Hunnam are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Be hilarious if he's out killing Nazi's again just for the online meltdown from Right Wing types in the states.

Chris Pine's not a bad choice. Well, the right choice is "no more Indy movies", but clearly Disney want to gouge every last cent out of their giant bucket of IPs.

It's the director I'd be most concerned about; part of the appeal was Spielberg's touch (and Lucas', to a lesser extent). I can't think of a director who might bring enough of a style, without turning the film into a generic, over edited mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Chris Pine's not a bad choice. Well, the right choice is "no more Indy movies", but clearly Disney want to gouge every last cent out of their giant bucket of IPs.

It's the director I'd be most concerned about; part of the appeal was Spielberg's touch (and Lucas', to a lesser extent). I can't think of a director who might bring enough of a style, without turning the film into a generic, over edited mess.

Spielberg did KOTCS and part of the problem is that is just didn't feel like an Indiana Jones film. Whether it was the time setting or technology used it, it just didn't have that sense of adventure. I agree with your first point, they should leave it alone. I don't even think there's an appetite for it after KOTCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gavin1986

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Spielberg did KOTCS and part of the problem is that is just didn't feel like an Indiana Jones film. Whether it was the time setting or technology used it, it just didn't have that sense of adventure. I agree with your first point, they should leave it alone. I don't even think there's an appetite for it after KOTCS.

Disney reboots a whole bunch of stuff… Hope, IJ wouldn’t become a fiasco.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »

I'd say Spielbergs heart wasn't in it" maybe he had professional curiousity as to whether he could still make those rollicking adventure films of his youth, but ultimately he's a different man to the one that made Raiders... perhaps he has simply forgotten how. I don't hate Crystal Skull anywhere near as much as others, but it was definitely a looser, more half hearted film lacking in a lot of the bite & crunch of the other films.

I don't believe there's an appetite for the film either, and maybe this is what these pronouncements are for; similar to tech companies accidentally-deliberately releasing chatter of a new feature coming, to gauge the public mood (so killing it can allow them to brag that they "listen to our customers"), Kennedy was simply doing the same thing and viewing if people want an Indy 5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The major problem with KOTCS for me was the over reliance on CGI. It looked terrible. That monkey scene was atrocious.

There's no need to make another Indy film.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

I always felt that Spielberg, much like Scorsese did with The Irishman, would return to his roots and direct one more huge, fantastical adventure film. Be it an Indiana, Jaws, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park etc...

An Indiana Jones sequel would be the most likely, but I would opt for the creature feature any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭ Lorenzo Clean Sergeant

I want Danny DeVito as Indiana Jones...

El Duda wrote: »
    I always felt that Spielberg, much like Scorsese did with The Irishman, would return to his roots and direct one more huge, fantastical adventure film. Be it an Indiana, Jaws, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park etc...

An Indiana Jones sequel would be the most likely, but I would opt for the creature feature any day of the week.

Hasn't he already tried that a few times, with fairly underwhelming results? Between Crystal Skull, Tintin, Ready Player One, and the BFG he seems to have lost something of his old craft with those newer blockbusters. I hold a candle for War of the Worlds though, being arguably also part of that grouping. Conversely I've enjoyed most of his grounded, "serious" recent work. Maybe he just doesn't know how to handle CGI, marry it into his work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The major problem with KOTCS for me was the over reliance on CGI. It looked terrible. That monkey scene was atrocious.

There's no need to make another Indy film.

Frankly, I stopped liking Indy films after Temple of Doom. But, yeh, the CGI is real problem in Crystal Skull. But it's a problem with a lot of modern movies. The big issue is that, far too often, it just makes things look stupid, as opposed to exciting or dramatic.

Look at the scenes in Raiders, such as Vic Armstrong being dragged by a truck along a desert road. That's a ridiculous scenario, but you can buy it because it really is a man being dragged by a truck along a desert road. So, while it's spectacular and there's trickery involved, it's not completely unbelievable.

Now contrast that with the monkey scene you mentioned, where everything is completely fake. Or that stupid ants scene where the Russian lad gets dragged into a hole.

It's just dumb.

CGI has been both a great asset and a bane to modern movies. But it allows film makers to indulge in their most ridiculous of thoughts, when years ago those ideas would have been dropped and usually to the betterment of the film.

Tony EH wrote: »
    CGI has been both a great asset and a bane to modern movies. But it allows film makers to indulge in their most ridiculous of thoughts, when years ago those ideas would have been dropped and usually to the betterment of the film.
    I see you, George Lucas. :pac:
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Frankly, I stopped liking Indy films after Temple of Doom.

No love for The Last Crusade? You monster.

Oh don't start Tony on Last Crusade :D IIRC he wasn't impressed with the comedy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

No love for 'The Last Crusade' here either. Was gimmicky as feic. I knew I was going to have problems once I seen some young lad playing Indiana right from the get go. This forced cartoonish explaination of mannerisms of the character that the audience don't really need, "oooh look so thats where he got his scar" "ooooh look so that's where he learned to use the whip" all in the space of two minutes too. The whole story was just a way to shoe-horn in his father and the rest of the boys from Raiders. There is no darkness or sense of the occult that is heavily prevailant in the first two. The soundtrack is really really forgettable too, nothing I can remember standing out except the theme that was already taken from 'Raiders'. No real editing of the score tracks to the scenes on the screen which was masterfully done in the first two either. Its definitely the weakest of the three for me.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh don't start Tony on Last Crusade IIRC he wasn't impressed with the comedy

source.gif

Advertisement