Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 y/o wanting to open a Current Account

• 15-03-2016 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

So I'm 17 and want to open a current account.

I really don't have much knowledge about where to go and which bank to choose.

I've heard good things about AIB, BOI and Permanent TSB.

What would u advise a 17 year old who wants to open a current account?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

PTSB My Cash. No fees and 0.65% AER interest. More here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

Consider going for the same bank as one of your parents.
    That way any if you need a cash transfusion, it will be instant instead of next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

wench wrote: »
    Consider going for the same bank as one of your parents.
    That way any if you need a cash transfusion, it will be instant instead of next day.

- That's OK if you get FREE banking but if the bank are looking for fee's to operate a current account -forget it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most of the current accounts for students are all the same. None will charge you fees and they all pretty much do the same thing.

The OP is 17 and may not meet eligibility criteria for a 3rd level student account. Hence, the only option may be a second level account and PTSB offer the best deal for that bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Some of you have slightly mentioned it but I was wondering would there be any complications moving on to a Third level student account with any specific banks. I will be 18 next year.

PTSB seems to be the majority favourite. My parents are with BOI and Ulster Bank. Would there be anything I should be aware off with regards to transferring money or anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Some paperwork maybe but no complications as such. If your parents are paying bank fees they really should consider PTSB or EBS.

You can move current accounts as much as you want and you can have more than one current account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

JTMan wrote: »
    The OP is 17 and may not meet eligibility criteria for a 3rd level student account. Hence, the only option may be a second level account and PTSB offer the best deal for that bracket.

I started college at 16 and was able to open a bank account right away (on the campus branch of AIB). AFAIK there were no extra hurdles involved and I don't think I had to pay a fee to open the account/yearly fees etc.

DreamByDay wrote: »
    I started college at 16 and was able to open a bank account right away (on the campus branch of AIB). AFAIK there were no extra hurdles involved and I don't think I had to pay a fee to open the account/yearly fees etc.

Yeah, the key is you need to be able to prove that you are in third level education. The OP is 17 and may not be in third level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

Ah, good point.

Advertisement