Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening present from godfather

Options
  • 15-03-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I have been asked to be godfather to my best friends boy but don't have a clue what to get as a present. I was thinking of maybe getting prize bonds but I'm not even sure how much is usually spent by a godparent on an occasion like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I wouldn't go mad!! You could get him a little piggy bank and throw a few euro in it and maybe an outfit? My little ones godparents didn't go mad, asked us if there was anything we needed so we picked an item that cost max twenty euro as they insisted on getting her something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I know my brother bought my boy a lovely silver money box, and had it engraved, with the date of his christening. Think he stuck €50 in it too, but if it had been €20, or nothing, I'd have taken no notice. It was a lovely gift on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Something relevant to a Christening, that they'll always have to remind them of the occasion. I've often seen a Godparent give a gift of a small cup on the day, with the Child's Christian name, the name of the Church, and the date of the Christening engraved on it. The cup is then used during the baptism to baptise the child. Another possible option for the other Godparent is a nice Christening shawl, but check with the mother she hasn't got one already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Forget the prize bonds please. I grit my teeth at thise blasted things as a parent. Pain in the arse to cash, zero return in my experience. If you move house, the child's name is spelled wrong etc, it's forms and evidence yadda yadda. Unless you buy 10,000 euro worth, they are shockingly poor value.

I usually get my own godchildren something that can last a long time as a gift.

A clothbound book of fairy tales. Like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairytale-Treasury-Treasuries-Clothbound-Collections/dp/0746090234/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1458110006&sr=8-7&keywords=Fairy+tales

If the family are strongly religious, a nicely bound family bible with space for family names and dates in it can be bought in religious shops.

Or

A local handmade quilt, blanket or play mat (local craft fairs have these, usually one off). You can get the babies name embroidered too.

Mine were given a lovely silver jewellery box, a clock, a book like above, jewellery (bracelet, necklace).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Books. In my house we love books. My sisters gave some for our daughter and she loves loves loves her books. When she is tired in the afternoon she'll bring her favourite ones over and pat my knee as if to say "story and cuddle time". Its lovely.
    I was Godmother for my nephew recently and bought him some books too and my sister (I have a lot of sisters) loved them.

We got prize bonds for our daughter from one set of grand parents and they were a nice idea but I don't expect to get anything from them.
    Others bought jewellery for her which again is nice for when she is a lot older but I've put it away for her now.
    I'd have hated to get jewellery boxes and candles and the like. I'd have put it all in a box and put it away to be honest. Then again I'm not much of a woman for ornaments around the house anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

The godfather of my daughter gave 50 euro in a card for the christening, which was appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

I asked for some of my godchild's babygros and got a teddy bear made from them. Try 'made with love bears' or 'babygro bears' on Facebook for examples

Advertisement