Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of parents house - no references?

Options
  • 15-03-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, long story short - I am moving out of parents home so I don't have previous landlord references really as it was never in my name.

I am 22 and can provide bank statements and all that stuff except references.
    Would most landlords understand the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Most landlords will understand but with no references and the rental market the way it is, be prepared to lose out to someone with better references or just someone who is more to the landlord's liking.

For example, someone in the early 20s like yourself is more likely to have loads of people around for a party than someone in their late 20s or early 30s (not saying you are like this but the landlord doesn't have references to prove it). This could put a landlord off if they have an equally good tenant who's older.

Keep trying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Could you get a character reference from a former employer/someone from your school or college? Not the same as a tenancy reference but it might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

When I did it, I had a letter on headed paper from my employer as a reference(X works here, please contact us to confirm) and I submitted some anonymised screenshots from my bank account showing me paying my parents 'rent' regularly. I got the place, so must have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its gonna be a tough slog, with the market it the way it is you'll be trumped by 30-something professionals several times most likely before you get something. Just keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ED E wrote: »
    Its gonna be a tough slog, with the market it the way it is you'll be trumped by 30-something professionals several times most likely before you get something. Just keep at it.

You may have to offer 2-3 months deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

As a landlord, how can you be sure references from prospective tenants are legit?

How do you know the prospective Tenant has not used a mate as a pretend landlord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As a landlord, how can you be sure references from prospective tenants are legit?

How do you know the prospective Tenant has not used a mate as a pretend landlord?

Don't accept written references,call, and ask a trick question

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, your best bet is to move into an established house-share, where the LL has told the other tenants to find a new housemate. In some of these, LL's are less fussed about references, because they have an in-situ tenant who can and will supervise the house.

Advertisement