Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i say something?

Options
  • 15-03-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Recently a temporary job opportunity came up in my work. While salary etc remained the same it would be considered a step up, with the possibility to open doors to new roles. We were told that our current position would be covered while taking on this project. I work for an organisation that is a collection of agencies. I was told yesterday that i didn't get the job as the other person who applied works for a different agency and that agency has more freedom and flexibilty than mine in terms of hiring staff (to cover while doing the project), whereas it would take my organisation 6mths to cover me by which stage i'd be back in my normal role. There were no interviews or anything, this other person was just given this job based on who they work for. While part of me understands i am also quite annoyed that it wasn't based on merit or best fit for the project and frustrated that it was advertised to us when we basically had no chance of getting the job (unless people from my agency were the only ones to apply i guess) I also feel now that my opportunities for career advancement are going to be continued to be limited solely because of who i work for. I'm just wondering if i should say something to my manager about how i feel or let it go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If the other agency has to take into account the hassle of your agency replacing someone, that's a pain for you, but unfortunately it's just a reality of business. I understand the frustration though - I've been there myself.

There's no harm in talking to your manager, but only if you think there's a chance of a useful outcome from the conversation - don't rant or vent. Phrase it so you're not making it look like you're desperately trying to move on; rather that you're looking for more responsibility - you never know, they might be able to look after you where you are now.

Advertisement