Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring files over wi-fi - bad speed through router

Options
  • 15-03-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hello I am transferring a 2gb file between 2 windows laptops by 802.11g and i have a good wireless signal showing on the wifi status adapters showing between 48 and 56mbps .... so why when i am transferring the file does it only transfer at 1.36mbs average? - i repair computers but i am not into networking and never have been, my repairs are nearly always home use computers without networking and i dont service business/networked pcs so i am a pretty grey in this area. any way i can get better transfer rates? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

hello I am transferring a 2gb file between 2 windows laptops by 802.11g and i have a good wireless signal showing on the wifi status adapters showing between 48 and 56mbps .... so why when i am transferring the file does it only transfer at 1.36mbs average? - i repair computers but i am not into networking and never have been, my repairs are nearly always home use computers without networking and i dont service business/networked pcs so i am a pretty grey in this area. any way i can get better transfer rates? thanks.

Nothing wrong. Wireless is a shared medium. All devices connected to your Wi-Fi use one frequency. The router can only talk to one device at at time in one direction at a time (half duplex), a cable can send and receive at the same time using different pairs (full duplex). Connect one laptop by Ethernet and your speeds will improve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And your connection speed is never your transfer speed. We learnt that from dial-up. :D

Advertisement